1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Smells/ticks/fleas

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by CopperOFRN, Sep 14, 2023.

1. CopperOFRN

CopperOFRN Big Dog

What do you all use for spraying your yards? I live in upstate NY with the highest Lyme disease stats in the country. I use “yard odor eliminator” which has citronella in it so works great for you average bugs, but not ticks. Anyone use something different? All my dogs roam the yard so the smell can get pretty pungent. This stuff works great but that’s all it’s good for really.

2. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

10% Permethrin mixed with water in a pump sprayer 2x a month. I spray the ground, houses, dogs and kennel walls.

I use slevin dust in the bedding and on the kennel ground. 1x a month when I change out bedding up until October.

I also spray Home Defense spray 2x a year, once in the spring and once in mid summer. I spray around the entire perimeter of my property, perimeter of kennels and perimeter of dog houses.

I never have fleas or ticks. EVER.
    Mosquitoes and biting flies are a different story. The flies tend to butcher my dogs ears around this time of the year. Was just going to try those cattle ear tags on a collar this weekend to see if that helps any.

That's my basic yearly protocol for pest control on the yard. We have a very bad Lyme Disease problem here as well. My dogs have never had ticks on them but I get 50 or so a year on me from hunting. Caught Lyme Disease more times in the last 5 years than I've shot deer in that time.

CopperOFRN likes this.
  3. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

I am similar to AGK. I also mix a 50/50 bleach-water solution and spray the areas. It knocks down the smells that happen from time to time.

I use the permethrin and I also use Termidor SC as well.

I live in the rural south which is the most natural incubator on the planet. The humidity is stupid high, the temperature gets in the upper 90's so after a late afternoon thunder storm the next morning the incubation period starts.

I can have 20 dogs without a flea and then one spot will pop up over night and look like they are going to tote the dog off. Been fighting it for the 25 years I have been on this spot. I bathe the dog, move him to another spot and put enough shit on the ground to poison a well.

I have used Admire Pro with great success over the years. Even had a dip barrel at times. After dipping ten or twelve bulldogs and a couple-three-yard dogs they don't have fleas, and neither do I.

LOL

S

BTK1993 and CopperOFRN like this.