1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

sorry s.o.b. stole one of my dogs...

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by whiteyransom, Jul 29, 2007.

1. whiteyransom

whiteyransom Top Dog

well, i knew i could come here to vent and get a lil bit of understandin. i ran a thread awhile back talkin about gettin rid of a couple of my dogs i have here on my yard. i wanted them to go to a responsible, expeienced pitbull owner. anyways, i came down sick a week ago and was put in the hospital. i was laid up in the hospital bed yesturday (fri) morn and the ph rang around 8 a.m. it was my mother-in-law,,who'd been watchin over my dogs since we live in the same yard and all. my best lookin dog (to me) tipsy, had snapped her run line that i was letting her use as a chain on her set-up. givin her 50' to roam. (it broke because of MY mistake, don't get me wrong. i at first set it up for a day or so without a swivel and she wore the plastic coating off and got a lil kink in the cable. i put on a swivel,,re-checked the cable and it wasn't too rough so i let it go.) she's been fine onit now for weeks and it's not shown any weakness. while i was in the hospital it rained an shit and apparrently when it dried up the metal weakened and broke ( for future refereance to anybody who uses this idea too) . this particular dog has got off the set-up twice, both times went a short distance up the driveway and then ran back to the house and waited on the porch. at 6 my in-laws sister calls from the end of the friveway saying the dog is up there and wouldn't let her husband out to go to work(they're all sissy ass scared of all my dogs..evn though they act just as any other dog acts and has always been freindly). she gets off the ph, returns to the door and the dog is gone. my in-law is in the motions of setting off to find her. she calls her, whistles(as i do) and so on, and gets no responce. she rides the neighborhood looking for her,,and finds nothing. my sis in-law is at home watching the porch the entire time. by 8 my ma-in-law is in tears callin me tellin me the dogs missin. i check myself out of the hospital and get on the 4 wheeler an spend the rest of the day riding to each door asking and leaving notes and numbers. but not 1 person had even seen her.so i'm assuming some asshole on his way to work saw her running along and called her over. once he got ahold of the cable or collar,she's his. so now i'm out a bad-ass lil bulldog that i had intended to keep for future use. damn people can be sorry ass animals. i'm still on the lookout, but no luck. cross a finger or two for me if ya'll don't mind.
    thanks
    whitey

2. Roadman Jr.

Roadman Jr. Guest

I know that this might be stupid at times but I always try to give people the benefit of the dout, you say that she was on a line,so do you think its possible that she could be hung up somewhere,anyway hope that you get her back .

3. dunlap

dunlap Big Dog

Check all the shelters in your area...I've heard of a few people in your situation and the dogs ended up being picked up by the AC. But you better make it quick, there's no telling what will be done to the dog and no telling what it'll "pick up" in those nasty ass places...

4. dmx215

dmx215 Big Dog

wish you luck i had the same problem b4don't give up check the animal shelters go around doing your checks and look in people yards and the key thing is don't give up

5. Michele

Michele Guest

Also, if you can, put up some flyers with the dogs picture and your contact info. Sorry this happened to you.

6. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

First, put together a flier that reads "STOLEN!" across the top in big red letters. This tends to put a little bit of fear in people if they do have the dog & see the fliers someplace. Also put a reward for the dog's return. I know it's hard for some to do that, but you're more likely to receive tips regarding the dog's whereabouts if someone thinks/knows they can make a few easy bucks doing so. It's not uncommon for the actual people who took the dog to turn the dog back in for the cash claiming they just found the dog that morning. But who cares since you got the dog back.

Second, take those fliers to every AC & shelter in the area. Bug the crap out of them. Let them know you care!

Third, call the police and report it. Chances are they cannot do anything about it, bu if it comes down to you finding your dog and the "new owner" refuses to give it up claiming it's his, you've got the police on your side now just because of that one simple phone call.

As someone who's had a dog truly stolen, I sympathize with you. I was lucky in that I got my dog back 2 months later. However, it was only her dead body but at least I got closure.

7. LuvinBullies

LuvinBullies CH Dog

I am so sorry to hear about this. Here's to hoping your dog gets returned to you safely and you get to feeling better as well. I lost a dog that way about 5 years ago and I still look for him sometimes in that old neighborhood I lived in, even though I know in my heart of hearts someone else scooped him up that very day he got out. Put out lots of flyers- and I'll continue to hope for her safe return...;)

8. kane85

kane85 Top Dog

That's what I hate most when people steal dogs. Best of luck with you in find the dog hope it turns up soon.

9. simms

simms CH Dog

I wouldnt consider your dog to be stolen. Sorry bout your hard times there.....

10. Phebes

Phebes Guest

A dog running at large with a chain. Many people would pick up the dog and not because they want to steal it but to help the dog.
    Put up fliers.

11. dunlap

dunlap Big Dog

Another thing I was thinking about IF the dog was stolen, keep an eye out in the papers for "pitt for sell" as well as the wal-mart parking lot.

12. Make sure you do a PHYSICAL check of the shelters. My brother's lab went missing and they called the shelter 3 times and were told the 1st two times they didn't have ANY black labs, then the 3rd time they were told they had one that been picked up about 15 miles from here. Turned out to be his dog. Also turned out he was picked up the same day he went missing....just across the fireld from my house (we live on a 500 acre farm, my brother on one corner, my grandfather on another, and me on yet another). The dog had an orange hunting collar with a plaque containing all my brothers info and they never called him. They admitted the dog was still wearing the collar and we found out the person who called AC was the guy across the field (hence the location) and he knew who the dog belonged to. They had neutered the dog and he had contracted kennel cough (the only reason who was still at the shelter). My brother took him and actually had a warrant taken out and had to go to court and pay some heafty fines for taking him out of there! Good luck getting your dog back.

13. simms

simms CH Dog

Stolen is a harsh word and from what the OP describes the dog wasnt stolen. Stolen would mean that someone went in and took the dog from the OP yard or house with out consent.

14. CrazyK9

CrazyK9 Top Dog

I agree simms.
    I'd be upset about my dog getting loose too, but don't jump to conclusions and get so angry at a possibly non-exsistant dog theif. Someone may have picked up the dog after it left your property to help it, as Phebes said. I would've, especially seeing any sign that it has an owner. I wouldn't call that stealing.

Good luck getting her back though. I'll definitely pray that you find her in the same shape she was in the last time you saw her. Post flyers, check shelters/rescues, make phone calls and emails, etc. Do what you gotta do to get her back.

15. Suki

Suki Guest

i personally wouldn't go with stolen either. meer assumption. IF you wanna catch people's attention, money talks...
    imo, write

***REWARD***
    for MISSING DOG
    best of luck in your search. sorry this happened to you.
    thinking positive here...

16. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

After rereading the post, I agree.

When my dog was stolen, someone cut through a padlock and forced their way into a yard surrounded by an 8 ft. privacy fence then took the dog. That is stolen.

17. 440rider

440rider Guest

good luck finding your dog....put up some flyers offering a reward and get on the shelters asap...call the police in your area they patrol night and day and maybe someone has seen it. Your dog could possibly be hung up somewhere if the hardware is in tow..

Not sure of your situation or how many dogs you have but, in leu of your tag line quoted above....... We run cable set-up for our dogs and not once has a dog come anywhere near kinking or bending the cable. Not sure what cable you are using but it doesn't sound like the right type especially something coated. We have had some o-ring wear out over time (these are stillwater o-ring so those that know dont need to be told about the high quality) but thats about it. Do it right or not at all is a great way to look at things heed those words and rethink your set-ups..never put an animal on a setup of any type without a swivel even for a few hrs. For future referance if going ground cable used 1/2" galvanized cable , triple clamed into loope on each end to slip and axle through it. Bury the axle 6" under ground and horseshoe a piece of rebar and bury it strattling the cable on each end by the axle so the cable keeps tight to the ground. Check your o-rings/set-ups (use stillwater for them cant get any better than what he has) when you feed and clean the yard daily.

For overheard run use a pully system on a 1/2" cable with stoppers on each end to prevent the dog from getting wrapped on the post/tree whatever secures the cable. Hang the chain low enougn where the dog is able to lay down and get inside a house..generally to where the loop in the chain is just off the groung about 6". Good luck!