1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Spayed, What to expect.

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Vipertech, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Vipertech

Vipertech Pup

Hi all, My first post. What to expect of the experience. I just aquired a pit-Great Dane mix and she goes to the vet in 1HR to get spayed. I have tried the search and didn't find the answers i were looking for. I have fell in love with this dog and am just a concerned Dad. Thanks in advance.

B likes this.
  2. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

you can expect her to be a bit groggy for a few hours after she comes home. You should also keep her warm, free from cold drafts and restrict her from to much running around, jumping, etc..

But in the long run, she will be a much happier, healthier pet.

3. Vipertech

Vipertech Pup

Thanks Bob for the quick reply. Will she be sore and in pain, will they give her something for pain and will she have stithes. Thanks, Joel

4. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

stiches yes..pain, you can give her buffered aspirin allthough the vet might be give her a pin killer.. she will be sore but they generally bounce back quickly depending on age..

5. Vipertech

Vipertech Pup

She is 1 1/2 yrs old and 90% pit. I was even thinking about giving her half a valium (probably sounds dumb) I an more torn up about about this than she is (she doesn't know what she is in for) anyway we need to start to get ready to go so Ill check for more replies when we get home this afternoon. Thanks again, Joel

6. The Watcher

The Watcher Till The Wheels Fall Off.

90% pit .....................valium?

7. Jenn

Jenn Top Dog

She'll be fine. ;) I was pretty worried myself, but Maddie was up and going in no time, ready to get out of the crate they had her in, and jumped right in the truck to go home. She was pretty thirsty, just slept a lot once we were home and she was relaxed. Otherwise you wouldn't have even known. My only worry was that she didn't eat, and I just knew she had to be hungry. Everyone here was great, and let me know she would eat when she was ready, and she did. You'll need to keep the area clean & dry for a few days,(don't remember exactly how long, really) and keep an eye on the scar for redness, and swelling. Otherwise, they seem to bounce right back and act like nothing is wrong. They will go over everything with you before you leave, and any vet should alleviate your worries before you go home. Maddie didn't have any pain pills, and didn't seem to need them anyway. She was perfectly fine. I'd definitely skip the valium. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2005
  8. Verderben

Verderben CH Dog

when we had our one female spayed a few weeks ago she didnt get any pain meds and she was fine. she was wanting to play the next. it was hard keeping her calm. i'm sure your dog will be fine

9. GSDbulldog

GSDbulldog CH Dog

Don't bother with the valium, she'll be fine =). APBTs (And even Danes) have an immense tolerance for pain. Without a doubt, she'll be groggy at first, but she should bounce back with no problems at all.

10. SEAL

SEAL CH Dog

no valium the dog will be just fine it probly wont bother the dog after a day or two just keep an eye on the stitches and make sure they dont get all red and swollen or pulled on too hard. dogs are tough shell bounce back just fine.

11. houstonapbt

houstonapbt Top Dog

...........??????

12. Marty

Marty Guest

You take the valium and your dog will be fine lol

13. bdub

bdub Top Dog

how do you get a 90% pitbull????????

14. SEAL

SEAL CH Dog

crop the tail and the ears off of one lol. i have no idea how you get a 90 percent pit unless that dane was waaaayyyyyy back in the line myb?

15. GSDbulldog

GSDbulldog CH Dog

lol @ Marty. . . Good advice.

Maybe it looks mostly pit? I don't know. He was probably just making an estimate. . .

Got pics of your pup, Vipertech?

16. B

B CH Dog

Marty tells it like it is ;)

B

17. The Watcher

u got some Danes GSD????

18. GSDbulldog

GSDbulldog CH Dog

Nope, I got bulldogs and German Shepherds.

Plus a few mutts. . .

19. The Watcher

icicic...... ic

20. jock

jock Pup

Just a newbie here so hope I am not speaking out of place. I have had a few bitches speyed and they are more resilient than we give them credit for, the biggest job I had was actually keeping my dogs calm the day after the op all mine were back to themselves raring to go the biggest problem was keeping them in the house and calm. They are tougher than we think make sure she has plenty of rest and watch she doesnt try to get at the stiches after a few days when they become itchy (some people use those lampshades - victorian style collars - I have never had to). Wouldnt recommend any valium what the vet gives her should suffice. If you have any problems or are in doubt the best thing to do is give the vet a call, keep an eye on the stiches and the wound make sure it doesnt look too red or inflamed - but other than that relax and let her relax too.