1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Spring Pole problem....

Discussion in 'Products & Equipment' started by Fuhrer, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Fuhrer

Fuhrer Pup

I built my dog a spring pole today and he shows no interest what are some tips about getting interested, b/c he just gets lazy, he'll play with it in my hand, but when it is hanging he doesnt want anything to do with it. So please help and put an end to my frustration...

2. NORTH

NORTH Top Dog

Try using a flirtpole, getting him all wound up with that. then once he's worked up take whatever your using for bait off the flirtpole and attach it to the springpole. It helps to tie the dog up while your switching them and let him watch you, then when you let him off he should want to GO...Hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2005
  3. whiteyransom

whiteyransom Top Dog

don't know from experience, but have been told to start low before raising too far above the head. i got a freind makin me one and that's what he suggested.

4. misterdogman

misterdogman CH Dog

Try hanging a small woodland creature from the spring pole...works every time...Nah just kidding just get him excited for a certain favorite toy and then put it on a flirt pole and then put it on the spring pole...progressively...it may take him awhile to get it but it will soon become his favorite thing, or he may never enjoy it, some dont.

5. chainsoff

chainsoff Big Dog

How old is the dog you're trying to work? What are you using on the pole? I had that problem too. What I did was take a length of hose, and tie it through the hole in the hide, standing about 10 ft or so. away, and toss it to them. They'd grab it and go to work, so we'd play tug for a while, and get em all crazy that way. Then I put it on the pole, and they hit it everytime.

6. Fuhrer

Fuhrer Pup

He's a year old, and I have a stuffed animal, he gets excited when it is in my hand, but as soon as I hang it up he looks at me like I am stupid.
    Anysuggestions, what about treats as bait?
    And when I try to play tug-o-war he doesnt latch on it he just chews on it.

7. Texasbulldogs

Texasbulldogs Top Dog

Not all dogs have the desire to work a spring pole. If he doesn't give it all in "tug-a-war" odds are he won't do the spring pole. Follow the suggerstion above and keep working with him. If he doesn't show interest in it, find something else that he enjoys.

8. chainsoff

chainsoff Big Dog

I've got one male that won't work a pole for nothing. I've trie everything. He's goe nuts over the hide, just doesn't work the pole. It's not for all dogs, like Tex said.

9. El Mexicano

El Mexicano CH Dog

my dog wouldnt even look a tthe dang thing and one day i just started biting on the thing to see if she would join in and she did,lol,im serious

10. Ms Oizo

Ms Oizo Pup

what's a spring pole or a flirtpole???

11. Fuhrer

Fuhrer Pup

Good news, I got him interested, it took a spongebob slipper and lowering it, but hey it worked. Now if anyone has any tips to as of a more durable bait would be, the slippers rip, so that is the only reason he lets go. So any helpful suggestions (other than small woodland creatures)

12. NORTH

NORTH Top Dog

Try a hide or a piece of burlap...

13. whiteyransom

whiteyransom Top Dog

i thought small woodland creatures was an excellant suggestion. large one are just to much to handle!!lmao but really, hide/leather should work!

14. Fuhrer

Fuhrer Pup

Where could I find these types of baits at?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2005
  15. NORTH

NORTH Top Dog

Go to any local feed store and you should be able to fin burlap sacks, then just cut them down to strips..[​IMG]

16. SIR

SIR Pup

Has anyone had an issue of a dog loosing a tooth or teeth for that matter while working on a sprinpole? I've not had this issue but my dogs are about to have a springpole and that scary thought just crossed my mind. Thanks.

17. Crash97

Crash97 Top Dog

As long as the dog is mature enough to have its teeth fully seated, it shouldn't be an issue. The dog should be capable of having all four feet on the ground while tugging.

18. SIR

SIR Pup

Thanks. Two of the three should have no issue, I will wait a while on the youngest.

19. Rockstar

Rockstar CH Dog

I've had a few under the age of two get a little overzealous on the springpole and lose teeth. I don't let the young ones get so worked up any more.

I should add that I've had far more dogs who didn't display an interest in the springpole than those that did.

20. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Guest

Yes dogs also learn form watching and observing. I teach my young pups by letting them watch a older dog play with the spring or flirt pole or a towel etc..once they see how much fun the older dog is having they cant wait to try it for themselves. I have some 7 week old pups the start screaming when they see a older pup play tug o war with a towel. As for a human being the example well you gotta start somewhere if you dont have any older dogs to teach them. lol