1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Spring Poles?

Discussion in 'Products & Equipment' started by thepitpalace, May 25, 2007.

1. thepitpalace

thepitpalace Big Dog

Can someone tell me how to build or construct a spring pole? Can I also see a pic. of what one looks like. Trying to integrate more activities that don't involve just chasing a tennis ball or each other. Any help? Thanks!!

2. The Watcher

The Watcher Till The Wheels Fall Off.

3. ChiaPit

ChiaPit Top Dog

4. there is NO way I would buy one. You can make oen very cheap.

get some chain and wrap it around a tree branch. close the chain together with a locking carabiner that you have to twist closed.

attach a garage door spring to that, and another carabiner to the end of that.

then to that carabiner you attach a length of rope. I use a horse lead because it snaps right on to the carabiner. then i wrap the bull snap in duct tape just in case. never had one fail though.

at the end of the rope you attach a bite surface. you can use thick rope, old jeans with no zipper or burlap. all that stufff gets tore up pretty quick so I would attach hide to the end.

make sure there is no metal anywhere near the bite surface.

instant spring pole

it should look roughly like this. keep in mind this is a very old picture so it is so low to the ground because we were getting her used to it. also it is no longer that close to the fence.

[​IMG]

some other pictures

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. also this is a video. yes I know my yard looks like crap and I also know some people like to keep their dogs on all fours, but my dog will jump to grap the rope up higher even if its low to the ground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVTv6F3oAFo

6. laurajean

laurajean Top Dog

I don't have pictures of my yard on here because mine looks like crap also. There is more to life than green grass in the yard though. Thanks for the pictures of the spring pole...been gonna make one for a long time and perhaps I will after seeing your pics. Your explanation was very good also...thanks.

7. no problem, yeah with four dogs it has been awhile since the backdirt has had grass.

:)

8. the flirt poles on that site that was posted are 85.00?

damn!

here is how you can make the same thing for roughly 10 bucks.

get a 10 foot PVC pipe. Run about 14 feet of rope through the pipe. leave the excess hanging off one side.

put washers on both ends that are big enough to cover the end of the PVC pipe holes and tie knots so that the rope can't come through.

you can use red or black duct tape to tape the ends down and make them look real good.

the attach your hide or other bite surface to the end with the excess rope.

10 dollar flirt pole.

9. thepitpalace

thepitpalace Big Dog

Thanks everyone, will be making one this weekend...The pics were great, just what I needed. If I can figure out how to post pics will do so when I'm done. Thanks again..

10. sy82nj

sy82nj Top Dog

go to home and buy a heavy duty garage door spring then go the the chain section and get the soft cotton rope and and rool to hang it with. also for a flirt pole buy a 10 ft pvc have it cut toi 7.5 ft and you'll need about 17ft of rope to run thru the pipe.

*----==========================---*--------------------*----

stars=knots
    thin lines rope
    = pipe

11. EDOGZ818

EDOGZ818 Big Dog

I Use A 14olb Garage Door Spring From Home Depot. Take 2 Peices Of Rope, 1 9ft And One 4ft 8inches (5ft). Put The Five Foot Piece Through And Tie It Tight, Leaving Half The Distance Of The Longer String Hanging. 4 1/2 Feet. Then Drape The Longer Rope Through, And Center It.french Braid The Rope. After You Are Done, Tie Several Knots In It. Top , Bottom, Middle And Inbetween If You Can. Chain The Other End To A Tree Branch Or Do The Pvc Pipe Set Up That Was Suggested ( Good Idea). This Should Last A While. Make Sure The Dog's Hind Legs Touch The Ground To Prevent Kidney And Liver Strain Developed By Hanging. Hope This Helps.