1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Staffordshire bull terrier vs APBT

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by pig dog, Nov 4, 2009.

1. pig dog

pig dog Pup

hi

Just wondering if these two breeds were ever matched back when they were both in their prime. Which was the best?

Do you guys think an 35lb stafford would hold its own against a 35lb pit. Just curious because both these breeds orginated from the same stock. And when i mean a 35lb stafford i dont mean the tyoe that are 12inches tall I mean a 35lb stafford that is lean and tall like the standard they were orginally bred too.

cheers

2. sunbeam

sunbeam CH Dog

the apbt is king of the pit BUT staffords on occassion have defeated them, even upto present day.i can think of 2 sbt champions and both beat pit bulls on their way to their titles.the edge goes to the apbt for sure and they will win more than they lose but true quality staffords are possibly the nearest competitor they have and do turn the tables on occassion.

3. KBK

KBK Big Dog

I think Sunbeam is fairly close to the mark here, I would even go as far as to say that the stafs will hold there own well at low 30's lbs,I aint saying they would win everytime but if weight is equal and the the staff is properly bred then I dont see any major advantage for the apbt

4. peppapig

peppapig Banned

imo there just isnt enough enough worked staffs out there to keep any momentum/future going in them though.....if you see what i mean...:confused:

5. pig dog

pig dog Pup

hi

Yer i know exactly what you mean too many 14inch 50lb show dogs. So can you explain why the staff will do better in the low 30s comapred to heavier weights. What happens when staffs get heavier? I woulda thought that a 18-19inch 38-44lb pit would be built VERY similar to an old standard staff of 18-19inch and 38-44lb. What happens when staffs get bigger?

cheers

6. alabama

alabama Big Dog

I disagree peppa,maybe a few more than you know about might be being worked

7. TheVictor22

TheVictor22 CH Dog

I know what working saffies I have seen damn sure look like they would hold there own. i like them dogs n plan to own a couple one day see what they like.

Vic

8. oxman

oxman Pup

I.am thinking staffs would hold there own in a weight pull with any pits in the uk as the quality of them here at this moment in time is not good and definetely are some good staffs about .......

9. Rickf3

Rickf3 Big Dog

At that time, they were the same dog. When breeders started breeding pitbulls for looks, they created the staff and in nature started to lose true working performance in any measure (fighting, catch, etc...).

Like any dog, they are still breed for muscle tone, etc...as that is part of show breeding so they are physically capable, but the lines are overall are diffrent.

Of course there are game breed staffs and there are backyard breed pits so I'm giving my oppion on the overall and not any specific examples.

Basically if you matched 500 apbt's aginst 500 staff, I think you'd have wins on both sides but more on the apbt side. Also, I think they were the same dog at some point in history.

10. junkyard

junkyard CH Dog

i think they were the same dog at the time that they left england to come to the states, but i do think the game over time became more advanced over time and the usa created a more advanced dog suited more to the game than the stafford, as time passed the game got older and the dogs evolved into a more efficient athlete on the apbt side of things.
    i have seen alot of staffords wel conditioned but when sitting two ideal specimens of each breed next to each other i think the apbt would stand out as the more refined athlete out of the two.
    and i know that looks to a certain extent mean very little with these dogs but just a look can easily show you they have taken two very different evolutionary paths.

im sure that there have been plenty of staffords that have beaten apbt's in the[] but at the same time that would have more to do with the quality of dogs brought to the match.
    if the best example of both were to meet i dont think the stafford would have a chance.

11. sunbeam

sunbeam CH Dog

if the best example of both were to meet i dont think the stafford would have a chance.

i make you dead right there.

12. Atomic Dog

Atomic Dog Big Dog

If both dogs were deep game would people still give an advantage to the pit? Is this on reputation alone? Or do pits have a harder mouth and longer wind naturally? Game staffs are a lot rarer than pits but if both are game isn't it even to a point?

13. sunbeam

sunbeam CH Dog

THE BEST pit bulls i have found have more ability and to a degree wind, other things seem equal liike mouth & gameness so i think the advantage would always be with the apbt when its a case of best v best, can anyone think of a single stafford that won a title by beating only pit bulls and staying undefeated, i can not and i think the reason is that it is a very difficult task for a stafford.maybe one day

14. Titch_Pitbull

Titch_Pitbull Top Dog

lots of people underestimating a true to the breed game bred stafford.

15. sunbeam

sunbeam CH Dog

which people ?

16. Titch_Pitbull

Titch_Pitbull Top Dog

The genetic make up of the modern day APBT is made up from the game dogs of england & ireland. So both dogs are very similar , Allot of people belive that there has been an "evolution" in the APBT.

Ch Rocky (stafford) beat 3 APBT's but then lost (to a SBT).

Gr Ch Duke (stafford) was featured in the SDJ

Ch Tasha won over a Pat Patricks bred dog.

there are many many many staffords that have won over APBT's.

I would favour the stafford at a lighter weight under 40lb.

17. sunbeam

sunbeam CH Dog

well i was familiar with some of the dogs you mention and seen plenty of both to make a comparison and incidentally nobody knows if tasha was a pure stafford anyway, the staffords are good little dogs and i like em a lot but i can not understand why anyone would say they favour them at the lighter weights, quite simply they lose more than they win against well bred apbt's and thats a fact.

18. oxman

oxman Pup

[​IMG]
    Demon ....
    [​IMG]
    Winston....
    [​IMG]
    Possum....
    [​IMG]
    Red Bull

19. oxman

oxman Pup

[​IMG]
    Tug .....
    [​IMG]
    Gypsy ....
    [​IMG]
    Jethro ....

These are some of the staffs i have owned over the years that have stopped pits in there tracks ....

20. Atomic Dog

Atomic Dog Big Dog

Tug is an immense ball of muscle. He looks part sabre tooth tiger, those fangs are huge!!