1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Staffordshire Terrier vs. APBT

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by beanx, Jul 16, 2010.

1. BOCKennels

BOCKennels Big Dog

And a Lion's a cat... Does having kitties all your life qualify you to get one without even knowing what the difference between it and a tiger is? You going to raise it the same as you're persian amigo???

Do you go buy a M-16 without any knowledge of how it works cuz you had a b.b. gun when you were a kid? They are both guns.

Knowledge is best gained before entering into a situation, that's all. And the basic knowledge of WHAT the breed your getting is all about, would be a good base to start with.

I didn't see anyone being an A-hole..?

And ARE you talking about a Staffy Bull, or AmStaff? I mean the fact we all have to ask is a good example of WHY you do some research first, as nobody here even knows for sure WHAT breed your talking about. You would have specified if you had a bit more knolwedge on the breeds, and you would have gotten better answer's friend...

2. pit#5

pit#5 Banned

I think it is obvious the post heading Staffordshire Terrier vs. APBT OP is talking about Amstaff as if he was talking about Staffy Bull, then it would not only be head size difference he'd be mentioning it would include dog size. <O:p</O:p
    Game is the difference as I remember being around a bunch of game dogs Hollingsworth bull was a massive dog in size But a red nose (a big thing) so other then that any Amstaf breeder would have loved his structure and on the opposite end I saw, Cowgirl she was so small but built like a truck a Staffy Bull breeder would have love her . <O:p</O:p
    Since one can find APBTs that do look like Staffordshire Terrier and Staffy Bulls The game quality is the difference as all three breeds still share the love of humans, are still not really guard dogs per say, and still have an air of confidence around other dogs. <O:p</O:p
    <O:p</O:p
    When I stated <O:p</O:p
    Wile no one wants to say they are game like an APBT –
    Still you will own some thing that is not a <ST1:pLabrador</ST1:p
    Still could have more Dog Aggression than most other dog breeds
    And statically a game one could show up.<O:p</O:p
    I was trying to say respect & be careful what you have it’s still a heck of a dog.<O:p</O:p

3. venom

venom Top Dog

Usually when people use the word Stafford/Staffordshire, its in reference to the original dog with that name. Only once it has American infront of it does it mean something else. Unless the person is unaware of the differences in the breeds.

4. Colossus

Colossus Big Dog

why are debating about what he means... dude! what do you mean! Amstaff or Staffy!?

5. beanx

beanx Pup

I was talking about the difference between a Staffordshire Terrier and a APBT. Not a Staffordshire Bull Terrier.

BOCKennels,
    You are 10000% correct. I should probably take the dog and tie it to a tree in the woods across from my house and through rocks at it like its previous owners did until i totally understand every aspect of the "BREED"! God for bid i try to feed it and take care of it and give it a good home before i know anything about it! Since its a pitbull, staffordshire terrier WTF ever it might not drink water and eat dog food or something, and i wouldn't want to make that mistake now would i? Id hate for it to morph into some kinda of gremlin or something after it takes a bite of "Purina Puppy Chow" after midnight or some crazy ass shit like that.

Do you not realize i rescued the dog from a bad home? Did you forget to read that part or did your E-Penis get hard and force you to start typing some sort of dickhead response?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2010
  6. Colossus

Colossus Big Dog

One is bred for show/looks and one is bred for work/performance.

7. venom

venom Top Dog

An American Staffordshire Terrier is what you are refferring to. The confussion comes from staffordshire being the actual place the dogs come from. So naturally just the word stafford would bring to mind the English dog and not the American dog... people just call them amstaffs.

The difference is one has been bred for show. The selected breedings have been choosen for cosmetic reasons where as the APBT has been bred for performance. The dogs are really not the same at all. Different temperament, slightly different shapes and sizes. You'll notice the Amstaffs will be more bulky and square looking than most APBT's. The biggest difference besides the dogs drive and temperament will be its health. Amstaffs have a lot more health issues than the APBT... So those will be the main differences. They both originally come from the same stock of dogs but two totally different breeding programs taking them in the opposite directions. Hope that answers your question.

8. MinuteMan1979

MinuteMan1979 Big Dog

Yes,

Being an arrogant know it all prick is the BEST way to get help.

The info you are asking for would easily be found in 30 seconds on a google search.

The difference between a AMERICAN Staffordshore terrier and an APBT, is the same as the dif between most of the psoters on this site and you. One's all show and no heart, and ones legit.

Maybe if
    you throw rocks at it, it'll make it as tough as you are!
    ;)

But honestly, THANKS for saving the dog from a douche bag. It Is to be commended.

And that's correct NEVER feed it after midnight, or it will become a blood thirty savage, and probably drag little children out of they're beds to feed.

But you already knew this, so whatta you need our help for?

P.S., don't forget to feed it kittens and gun powder!

9. BOCKennels

BOCKennels Big Dog

Well look at you big boy!

If it's JUST a dog, what do you even need to know the answer to your question for!?

As has been said, even the mostly SHOW bred AmStaff is twice the dog your akita was. Be forwarned your probably going to deal with some dog aggression.

And from here on out, piss off if thats your attitude... I didn't come at you like a dick, and I sure as shit can be a BIG one. Another DOUCHE WAFFEL with a "PIT BULL"... yay for you!!!

I suggest(ed) doing some research, as you can find out the info you're requesting without having to broadcast to the word you know nothing about the dog you own, and then get all cur snappy when you get told to do some F'ing RESEARCH. I don't give two sh!ts if you "saved the dog". Put it to sleep, it's uneducated owners like you who think it's "just another dog" and don't treat it any different that get these dogs on the evening news...

Pat yourself on the back, as I aint doing it for you.

10. AmericanDogMan

AmericanDogMan Big Dog

If your talking about the amstaff look at the pics I posted in the beginning of thread. That's all you need to know. And although, BocKennels approach maybe a little course for a newbie he's right a true apbt is not a regular dog. Care, knowledge and time needs to go into the animal. And if their a pet they need to bond and they need boundaries. Not beat downs but firm boundaries. Their working dogs more so than any other dog; they need something to do that challenge's them to the point of exhaustion or they'll be very mischievous.

11. beanx

beanx Pup

obviously knowledge is what im trying to achieve. Usually when people ask questions they are wanting to learn and thats all im trying to do.

Plus i highly doubt if i raise this dog like i did my other that it will turn into some child killing beast of epic proportions. If i would have left it witht he previous owner then yes i could see it happening there. But i'm pretty sure it takes alot of fucking up on the owners end to turn a pitbull type dog mean. I'm no expert but this dog is way to friendly to me and everyone hes around to hurt anyone.

12. AmericanDogMan

AmericanDogMan Big Dog

By Mischievous I mean digging escaping and killing racoons; breaking down his kennel... Chewing a support beam in your home... Stuff you didn't know was possible or didnt think would annoy you.

13. beanx

beanx Pup

the only time he is outside is when im with him, he doesnt have a kennel because all of my dogs are inside dogs. He can kill all the coons he wants ill praise him for that. He has chewed up a few things but you get that with any puppy. Chewing up a support beam though i think we would have some problems lol...

14. MinuteMan1979

MinuteMan1979 Big Dog

"All my dogs are inside dogs"

And if/when he decides he doesn't want to "play" with any of the other dogs, but would rather try and kill them, what are your plans?

Most apbt and staffs are going to show some dog aggression, be prepared to have to keep them seperated at all times and NEVER NEVER leave them together unsupervised. Are u willing to deal with a dog that WILL NOT stand other animals? There's a good chance u could get one no matter HOW u raise him...

15. beanx

beanx Pup

he gets along with my akita great, he gets along with my cat great he is actually scared of the cat. I suppose if it were to happen then i would climb that hill once i get there. But i see no reason they wont be fine together.

16. MinuteMan1979

MinuteMan1979 Big Dog

And THAT is because u did no research on the breed in the first place...

COUNT on him wanting to DESTROY the Akita and the cat at some point...

Then COUNT ur blessings if he never does...

17. bionic

bionic Big Dog

OP, this is the best advice you've got so far. Hope for the best but be prepared for the worst. You'll most likely have some DA issues in your house and it won't be something you'll be able to train out.

18. Oldskool Brent

Oldskool Brent Top Dog

Best Example I can give you is to relate them to a musclecar.

<acronym title="American Pit Bull Terrier">APBT</acronym> - all original 1970 Chevelle SS with an LS6 454 big block in it.

AmStaff - 1971 Malibu with a Chevelle SS paintjob and a nicely built 350 smallblock in it.

AmBully - 1972 Malibu, with 24" Dubs, heavy flake candy apple green paint job, stripes, hydraulics, crushed velvet interior, powered by Chevy 292 straight 6 engine.

19. AmericanDogMan

AmericanDogMan Big Dog

:goodposting::goodposting:

I'm loving this post... Just sold my first classic 1969 buick skylark custom 350 v8 small block

Bought a 1970 Buick GSX replica... Stealth Black

like an upgrade from an AMStaff(69skycustom)

to CH APBT (1970GSX)

You know the 455; Hemi owner's try to deny was the best street engine of it's time

20. Oldskool Brent

Oldskool Brent Top Dog

I'm 6 years into a 2 year restoration of my Buick Grand National, lol.