1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

stolen thread.good insight though.check it out

Discussion in 'Breeder Discussion' started by catchdog, Apr 19, 2010.

1. catchdog

catchdog Top Dog

So, You Expect To Make Money Breeding...

I am always amazed by the individuals who "Oooh, you must make lot of money from the puppies". The
    fact is, if you are doing it right, getting all the necessecary vet checks etc., you rarely make money on
    a litter. The cost of having a litter of puppies adds up, even if no complications are encountered.

The cost estimated below for a litter of four puppies until eight weeks of age are on the low end of
    normal, especially the cost of the mom herself. A good breeding-quality mom (wich for many is the
    same as a show-quality bitch) can cost between $800 and $2000. The following assumes that you are
    getting the necessary testing, that you are breeding to a stud of quality that is equal to or better than
    the bitch, and that everything goes perfectly with the pregnancy and delivery.

Item Estimated Cost Prior to breeding:

purchase of mom (adult) $800.00
    supplies: crate, toys, etc. $100.00
    OFA check $125.00
    vWD check $140.00
    Thyroid check $50.00
    Eye check $25.00
    Total prior to breeding $1540.00

At time of breeding:

brucellosis and culture $70.00
    round-trip shipping of mom $320.00
    stud fee $350.00
    Total at time of breeding $740.00

For a litter of four puppies:
    extra food/vitamins for dam $50.00
    food/vitamins for puppies $70.00
    dewclaw removal $48.00
    first shots (at vet's) $50.00
    vet check of puppies $80.00
    Total cost for puppies $298.00
    Total cost of litter: $2578.00

This $2578 does not include the cost of of the time you have spent on the litter: the time spent
    socializing and housebreaking the dam; sleeping beside the whelping pen waiting for the puppies;
    assisting in the delivery; cleaning the puppy pen; going to the vet for dewclaws,shots,etc,; and
    interviewing potential buyers for the puppies.

Now look at the price of pet puppies in your part of the country. Even if all four puppies from this litter
    are sold, would you recover your cost? For example, pet puppies from reputable breeders here in
    Phoenix area sell for $400.00. At that price, I would loss $978.00 on this litter. ( And if I kept one puppy
    from this litter, add another $400.00 to that figure.)

But, you say, I won't have some of these expenses for the second litter. I can make up this deficit by
    breeding her a second time. Not really. Assuredly, I won't have the purchase price of the bitch, nor
    even the vWD or OFA testing cost. But I will have everything else. These expenses total $1413.00,
    again not accounting for the time I put into this endeavor. Again, if I sold all four puppies for $400.00, I
    would get $1600.00--a profit of $187.00. At this rate, I would recoup the loss from the first breeding on
    this bitch's seventh litter and have a total profit of $56.00.

There are only two ways to make a profit breeding dogs. One way is to reduce costs. Yes, I can learn
    to do some things myself, such as give shots to the dam and her puppies myself and do the dewclaws
    myself. Many reputable breeders do these things for themselves. This will reduce my cost a tad.

I could also not get the OFA, Eye, Thyroid, vWD, brucellosis or cultures done. That would save me
    quite a bit of money. But then, how would both I and the purchaser know that these puppies did not
    inherit a genetic disorder? These are not the actions of a reputable breeder.

This second method of making a profit would be to establish a reputation of breeding top quality show
    dogs and selling show prospects and show-quality older dogs for an increased price. However, this
    really does entail more work and expense because I would first have to demonstrate that my dogs do
    win in the show ring on a consistent basis. Ah, but this would involve paying entry fees, handlers or
    traveling to the shows myself, buying grooming supplies, paying for photos of my wins and
    advertising these wins etc., etc., etc.

Is there really any profit to be made in breeding dogs?

2. Great post. I disagree with some of your figures but I appreciate the time that you put in. I think you are forgetting that when you are talking about breeders nowadays, the peddler is more of the norm. Obviously, they are cutting a ton of fat off that list above. And, depending on size of the litter and quality of the animals or hung papers, the profit margin is there.

In my area of the country, 600 is the norm and I've known people to pay in upwards of 1200 for a pup.

3. catchdog

catchdog Top Dog

cool...I didnt write this though. I agree with ya though

4. Jelet

Jelet Banned

of course... there are people making there living breeding dogs.. (And some decent healthy dogs to... not puppy mills) and in the post, there are many unnecessary expenses.... cost's could be cut by 50-75%.... and still have a perfectly healthy litter.

(not directed at you, but the writer of this)

but its a good post for the moron potential bybers to read it.. and to maybe change there mind on breeding.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2010
  5. WARTOWN

WARTOWN Pup

i agree with you the cost was way inflated but good lesson..

6. catchdog

catchdog Top Dog

yes it is inflated quite a bit, however, take into consideration the time, wether u are paid for your time or your skill, time is very valuable, so take all of the hours involved to raise a healthy litter properly

7. Tommygunn

Tommygunn Big Dog

I think its a good system though. The money will come eventually when done right but it will take time skill and patience. Things that retards don't have. Therefore they will weed themselves out bye the feds or real dogmen that will never let them in the circles.

8. catchdog

catchdog Top Dog

yeah thats pretty strait to the point, bottomline, most folks can fool themselves and thats all

9. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

there is a ton of money in puppies...there are mills everywhere....the guy that says there is no money in dogs is the same guy hoping you do not end up selling one so he can...i have made about four breedings in the last ten years...i found out i suck at selling puppies...i make a breeding when i need to fill chain spaces...i have given away far more than i sold...but i know a few guys who have made serious $$$$ selling puppies...US1