1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Styles make fights!

Discussion in 'Breeder Discussion' started by bounty, Jun 26, 2013.

1. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

BTW, to more fully cover your question, so as to give you an actual answer as to the crux of your question, I have also known people who bred dogs solely for trait WITHOUT prioritizing as I mentioned above. They weren't around long. There is a difference between saying "I want a head dog" and saying "I want GOOD dogs, and if they're good head dogs, I'll be very happy."

STA8541 likes this.
  2. bounty

bounty Big Dog

thanks for your answer TDK. I never once said give up on all the important traits just to breed for style. that would be ludicrous. I meant just add it as another trait you are looking for.

Eg. Who was a great face dog? Stryder. Breed Stryder to a heap of bitches. Then get his best daughters and breed them to another equally as good face dog. Hopefully some of Stryder's daughter's also eat the face. Now you have two gen of face bred dog's. I don't know what style they will be because i haven't done it. But presuming you continually do it. Using high quality face dogs as your stud. something good could happen.

Considering you guys live where there are a shit load of dog's and breeder's it f@#$s me why no one has done it yet!

3. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

A lot of people have a preference in style and it will show in their work. to others good is good regardless of style.

4. ursaminor

ursaminor Top Dog

Seems to me you cutting yourself short of good stock because of certain style. I don't know this but lets pretend it's pre-76 and it's hunting season and you have a 4.5 star super defensive head hog open. Say there is another well seasoned hunting party and have a few good hogs but they are about 4 stars at that weight however they are all different styles. He really wants to prove a point so which style hog he use or is it always best to best?

5. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

Tons of people have done it but there is no longevity in a breeding program based on a style. Tons of people have bred to a hard moth freak and they do not stay very long. Breeding for game dogs, with talent and ability, and durability, who happen to have this style is a far more consistent means of producing good dogs.
    But to answer your question. Yes. Tons of people have bred dogs for certain traits and certain styles. They just do not last long or better said, the quality of their dogs do not last. S

STA8541 likes this.
  6. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

I don't really think dog population has anything to do with someone or some people trying to create and/or attain some influx of a certain style. Yes, as answered by myself, and a couple of others here, it has been done and people still do it.
    And again, I am sure others will agree with me that anyone with a decently successful, ongoing lineage of dogs, would never recommend such diversion from the main focus.........which are in kind to the type of dogs Slim mentioned.
    So.........yes, some do it. Yes, some do LIKE certain styles, yet.....they don't divert a bit from their main focus. And, yes, some give it no import whatsoever.
    I personally like a dog that does what it does better than the other dog does what IT does. Effective in what style of dog it is.
    Not to make it semantic, but I personally, when I see a dog, know a dog etc. consider the dog to be a certain "type" or even "ilk" of dog. The reason I differentiate is that some dogs are good and effective without having a singular style. Some are smart, adjust to the competition well, opportunistic, durable and do their best work late in competition. Some will take what you give it, and some of THOSE will either work it fast or over a longer period of work. ILK, TYPE, yet no singular style.
    These differentials are why you focus on the MAIN, IMPORTANT things which will keep a line, family, or nucleus/group of dogs ongoing and competitive. Therein, too, is surely the reason a common sense, knowledgeable breeder doesn't divert one iota from his priorities for the sake of any "style". What would you rather have? A _______ dog (insert style), or a dog that can overcome any style it's competing with because of the ability to adjust, smarts, and the other abilities and backbone to carry it through such task?
    In any event, I think most angles have been chatted about as to whether people do what you alluded to, as well as why, in what ways, and why not. LOL

STA8541 likes this.
  7. bounty

bounty Big Dog

i think the size of population maters because with a larger population you will have more chance of having a QUALITY dog with the preferred style. I never once said to divert from priorities. Just make the style an EXTRA priority. Smart dogs that figure shit out still can have a preferred style. So they will still be able to be put in a breeding program including style.

Anyway back to the question. TDK if you say people have done it what style did they breed for and also did it take many gens to get a high percentage of dogs with that style?

8. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

As I said....The ones who did this directly looking for traits never lasted long in the dogs. Not unless they forever bought dogs to their liking. The one fella who stands out to me who has been successful, and very much likes aggressive head dogs, and finishing dogs, I cannot name for obvious reasons. But, he is a good dogger and belongs in the category of having styles and traits he likes, but DOES NOT and WILL NOT breed in order to attain them, but for what comes along in his lineal scheme for him.
    Bounty, things I mention as to whether I think they are the right way or not the right way isn't referring to anything YOU said. It's general and applies to the topic itself.
    You asked how many generations did it take for the ones I knew who bred FOR styles to attain it. My answer has already been stated. They never lasted long enough to see. LOL
    And I just told you of what favorite style and trait a friend of mine has, and that he DOES NOT breed FOR any of that.
    A game dog has a place in any smart breeder's program, and it doesn't need to be accompanied by any certain style.
    I never understood why , when someone says they keep a certain dog and it's in their breeding plans, that people so often take it to mean the dog is a plug. If one keeps a dog because of gameness, then they're keeping it for that reason, be it a yard check, game win or game loss in competition. Presumptuous. A dog being a plug has nothing to do with it. Dogs that ARE NOT game are sometimes plugs, too. So why the parallel? Erroneous.
    One final note. There are no such thing as EXTRA priorities. A priority is a priority. Whatever other attributes you get, be it style, trait or whatever, you're just blessed to get. And, if your own nest of dogs holds their consistencies over time, you'll likely see then more than in someone's dogs that don't hold their consistencies well. Simple as that.

STA8541 likes this.
  9. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

After 3-4 generations of your own breedings working with all the animals and not going off the yard you will begin to notice the consistencies and be able to predict the actions of your majority. It's not a very difficult practice. Some people prefer a certain style for whatever reason and certain styles make longevity in the game much easier.

10. CBRSALT

CBRSALT Big Dog

Limey talks alot about breeding a family of dogs that may be based off one dog and breeding for similar coloration, STYLES, family norm, etc. Isnt that philosophy similar to what you're askn bounty? I see what you saying and what tdk is saying and others whose comented.

11. bounty

bounty Big Dog

i guess limey does talk about that a bit. i was just wondering if anyone ever tried breeding for a certain style. I know what style i would like to breed for if i had a choice. The only dog i know with that style is a gr ch but i think he lacks in important areas so i don't want to go down that path. And to TDK i was talking about buying dogs or going to a stud dog if it isn't for sale. Why stick to your own yard just for the sake of it. You are going to be feeding those pups for a long time so you may as well breed the best you can get your hands on. I was thinking if you used the selection criteria of style over sticking to a family. So you would have outcrosses but the style stays very close to the same. Obviously you keep breeding for the usual important traits as well. Sorry TDK i didn't mean an extra priority i meant an extra trait to the list of priorities.

12. slim12

For a one word answer, yes, people have bred for styles. More than one word answer, people that have bred for a certain style did not experience long term success.

STA8541 likes this.
  13. bounty

bounty Big Dog

they were probably never going to have long term success. Your comment is the opposite of Naus and that could be explained by the fact that there is an infinite number of variables when comparing breeders and dogs. Breeding done right should reap rewards.

14. eli/carve

eli/carve Pup

didn't n.kemmers breed for style or keep only hard mth body dogs? how did he do with his dogs?

15. slim12

absolutely. Breeding done right should reap rewards. Let's say I like heard mouthed head dogs. Let's say I have one and I breed him because I like hard mouthed head dogs. I get one or two out of a litter of five. I breed those two and get more hard mouthed head dogs. Then all of a sudden, and it does happen all of a sudden, my dogs are not staying long enough for their style to be effective/win. Where do I go to fix this? Back to the drawing board? Switch lines? Try to find the game, durable, dogs with talent and ability and make some chicken salad out of chicken shit? This is the point where the diversion TDK spoke of leads to two things, one, people get out or they switch lines and go a different route.
    There is nothing wrong with preferring a style. A person who breeds for game dogs with talent and ability who are durable and workable can then pick his preferred style from these dogs and in time he would have that style pop up more often than not. But as to the original question, if one were to breed for a certain style it would take only a generation or two to be on a slippery slope.

STA8541 likes this.
  16. slim12

No. Mr. Kemmer bred for game and durable dogs. He chose to bring out the hard mouth chest and brisket dogs. His keep fitted these types of dogs better than the marathoners. His keep was based on the combination of speed and strength, which is power. He bred dogs that were game and durable, and of those dogs he brought out hard mouthed chest and back end dogs. Working a ear sucker for a fifty minute onslaught does not make a lot of sense. He brought out the dogs that had the style he liked, but he bred game durable dogs and chose from there. S

STA8541 likes this.
  17. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

Well said ^^^. I was gonna post. no need to now.

18. bounty

bounty Big Dog

Anyone else breeding Game Durable Eli dogs out there?

19. slim12

NO. Eli dogs are not game but can bite. Redboy dogs are game but can't bite. Bolio dogs are smart but etc...etc... Been covered many times. LOL...Bounty check your PM. S

STA8541 likes this.
  20. keystone

keystone CH Dog

20 years ago stood with 2 dogman ...they did not like what they are looking to ...
    one said to the other ..we have crossed al our crosses ..what can we stil do ?
    only one answer back to family bred dogs .....