1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Sun Burned Dog

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by big dan, Aug 13, 2010.

1. big dan

big dan Big Dog

Has any 1 had a fair skinned dog get sun brunt and blister like people do and if so did it lose its hair and hide.Also what did u treat it with.

2. junkyard

junkyard CH Dog

Re: Sun Brunt Dog

Ive had a couple of red nose, buckskin dogs a friend had farmed out elsewhere till he realised they were not being looked after, when they were put in my care they were treated with Aloe Vera plant gel straight from the plant and kept out of the sun, the small area behind the nose was blistered but it healed very quick.

The summer where i am is realy hot over 110F for a fair part of our summer, so before i go to work i usually put the strongest "children" rated zinc cream on the snout of the dogs to give them protection. However it only helps that area, ive had a dog that loved it so much she would lay belly up until she was proper burnt then id have to aloe that too.

Never had one that was so badly burnt that hair would fall out?
    If it gets to that stage the dog needs to be moved to a better spot, with ample shade.

And if they are getting to that stage your lucky they are even walking around, heat stroke can and will kill a dog in twenty four hours, once they get sick, i had a scare once with a dog and it was that bad the way the dog acted it i thought it was parvo.

3. big dan

big dan Big Dog

Well what happen was I had some men come and pressure wash the house .I had to shorten the chain so the dog could not the men working,that left him in the sun.I did not no It was going to take as long as it did and i got busy doing something else and he was left in the sun to long.I've been useing scarlet oil and been doing just great.Thanks for input.

4. junkyard

junkyard CH Dog

Go to your local plant nursery and buy yourself an aloe vera plant, all you do is snap off the branch and squeeze out the clear gel inside it and put straight on the dog, it brings instant pain relief and will fast track the healing very quick, imo better than anything else and it all natural!
    As we have very hot summers here nearly every household in Australia has an aloe vera plant or three in the garden, and obviously yes it works great on us too!

5. big dan

big dan Big Dog

I'll go 2morrow and get 1 Thanks

6. Zeuceone

Zeuceone Pup

Aloe vera will do wonders for sunburns