1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Supplements for Feeding Raw

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Jeep/Redboy, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Jeep/Redboy

Jeep/Redboy Big Dog

He looks fine, but I did notice a few loose stools. It is amazing how much less shit I have to pick up. I'm the type of guy that picks up dog shit at least twice a day (just can't stand to see a turd on the ground lol). On kibble, my dog was crapping 2-4 times a day and now on raw it is maybe twice a day- alot of times just once.

@Wheezie- how do you know when they are getting too much bone?

2. madboy

madboy Big Dog

Well said ,we all had questions about supplementing and how much this,that what and why when we first started raw. All l can say after feeding raw for 14 months and never kibble once to my boy is simply unmatchable anyway you see it,nothing compares to a raw diet.Try keep it simple,use natural supps lmo,one meat alone is never enough,always switch when possible and your "eyes" are the best way for knowing how much your dog needs.When he or she is getting over weight..........plain and simple cut back on food even with pups.After a period of time
    you will know what works best.

3. Ok cool.You will know if there getting to much bone by the way there shit come out.If its like pebbles and hard.Cut back on the bone.If it comes out real loose,cut back on the organs your feeding and add alittle bone. Yup its awsome that they only shit like once a day.And lets say you missed a pile.It just turns to dust and blows away :)

4. Jeep/Redboy

Jeep/Redboy Big Dog

Appreciate that Shady!

5. Boss' Mom

Boss' Mom Big Dog

I'm confused, are you are are you not supposed to feed vegetables and carbs? Most of thhe sites say not to feed either and never to feed cooked meet. And do you feed a puppy 10% of its body weight or 3-4%. Should you not feed a pup chicken necks? Turkey necks? Sorry I'm so confused.

6. Pirbul

Pirbul CH Dog

You should feed 3 or 4% of his body weight on his ration, and 10% off this should be veggies. You want veggies for little carbs but most important, vitamins and some fiber. No meat should be cooked, and if you cook bones, then there is a risk a bone will pinch the intestine (sp), uncooked bones are elastic(sp) and easy to digest.

Oils are needed for a good balanced diet, salmon oil and olive oil for example, it's vegetal and animal fats that complemen each other.

Chicken skeletons and lamb necks are the chepeast and most recomended, then you need just meat and organs from different sources(chicken,cow and horse for example).

I give the bones at morning and the rest at night.

7. madboy

madboy Big Dog

You can feed all of what you mentioned, chicken necks are perfect for young pups,vegies in small portions and carbs l don't like apart from organic brown rice.Beef and chicken are way good to start,add a soft boiled egg,beef liver every 3/4 days salmon oil every day and your off.;)

8. Boss' Mom

Boss' Mom Big Dog

Ok and see that's another thing, does it have to be boiled? Can't it be a raw egg (that's what most raw feeders seem to suggest)? And why feed the dog rice? :confused:

9. Are chicken leg quarters the only meat you are feeding? Please be sure you are feeding the proper amounts of organ meats, muscle meats, and edible bones well or you will be doing more harm than good by switching to a nutritionally incomplete raw diet.

10. Jeep/Redboy

Jeep/Redboy Big Dog

Advina- if your question was for me, I haven't completely converted yet. I have started with leg quarters, but am kinda doing more as I learn. But I have still been feeding kibble as well.

11. JoeyNzoey

JoeyNzoey Top Dog

I transition from every other time I supplement eggs I give it completely raw with shell one day and maybe the next time I soft boil it. I am not to informed on whether or not which is best but that is what works fine with me. I do recall reading a post a while back on another thread about raw eggs and someone had mentioned an article or some statements regarding the white part of the egg potentially doing harm if fed often in raw. Again I am not to informed and this could be irrelevant but I personally just switch it up sometimes.

Brown rice is very good carbs/filler but shouldn't be fed to often since it is high on carbs. It's not needed to complete a balanced diet but it's not bad of a supplement here and there in my opinion. Just like the same ordeal with those who choose to feed veggies, yogurt, cottage cheese etc.

12. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

the eggs are better soft boiled...the white patially cooked/boiled...the yoke still runny....i feed shell and all...i never factor in carbs in my ratios/percentages....i do add brown rice four to five times a week....moreso as a filler than anything else, especially in the colder months...US1

13. Yes the question was for you, I am glad you are taking the time to learn to do this properly - I see a lot of people ruin dogs by just assuming they can throw any raw meat to them and call it a "raw diet". I just wanted to make sure you were not feeding ONLY leg quarters for a complete diet.

14. Your confusion is not unfounded - the reason you hear different things is because there are different "schools" of feeding raw. The two most common ones are BARF and Prey Model.

With the prey model diet you will be feeding whole foods, as close to the prey animals a dog would hunt if it were left to fend for itself. You want as close to an intact prey item as possible. Research has found that if you are feeding the correct amount of fats and proteins dogs do not need any carbohydrates at all to survive. With this model of feeding carbs are not included or kept to the absolute minimum possible because you are feeding a whole food diet that is sufficient nutritionally to replace the use of carbs. There is also very little supplementing (or no supplementing) needed with the prey model diet when done correctly - usually only some fish oil for omega 3 if you are unable to feed fish sources. Veggies are not included in this diet or once again kept to a bare minimum.

I prefer the prey model myself.

The BARF diet feeds ground up meats instead of whole prey items, includes a fair amount of veggies, and does need supplementing as it is not a complete diet like the prey model is.

15. Yogurt is actually to promote digestive health due to the live cultures and enzymes in the yogurt. It isn't really a nutritional supplement - just something to keep things working optimally in the gut area.

16. Boss' Mom

Boss' Mom Big Dog

Awesome thanks guys! I've been reading a lot about it since it was suggested to me and I'd really like to start feeding raw and would prefer to feed the prey model. I just have to figure out a weekly meal plan.

Sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread with all my confusion lol

17. JoeyNzoey

JoeyNzoey Top Dog

very true you are correct, I forgot to pin point the yogurt usage and I think it does help out with the digestive system.

18. Jeep/Redboy

Jeep/Redboy Big Dog

So far, I have worked in leg quarters, fat, soft-boiled eggs, and I have been giving half a multi-vitamin a day. I tried carrots and greens but the dog didn't seem to like either. I still need to get the yogurt.

19. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

if you mix the greens with lard (used as both a fat source and a place to put the vitamin) the greens will be consumed a little better....US1