1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

tail issue: "stud tail" or supracaudal gland hyperplasia?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by act284, May 18, 2010.

1. act284

act284 Big Dog

tail issue: "stud tail" or supracaudal gland hyperplasia?

4th visit to the bet so far:

i've posted earlier about a dog with bare lumps on his tail all along the bony ridges/prominence at the end of his tail...

skin scrape-negative

skin impression- negative

fine need aspiration w/ exam-negative

fungal culture- pending, but unlikely

I wonder if it could be this stud tail thing? anybody have experience in the subject?

ill post pictures again

[​IMG]

also noticed that the tip of the tail is starting to lose lots of hair

ran bloodwork...thinking about doing a thyroid test, but dog is only 1 yr old

help?

2. ATEXAN

ATEXAN Big Dog

Re: tail issue: "stud tail" or supracaudal gland hyperplasia?

IMO I Highly doubt it is even an issue. Sounds like your vet is taking you to the cleaners, unless you work there. Probably some type of arachnid or insect bite. If its not a tumor you could lance it then keep it clean a disinfected. Dont let the dog chew it, it will make it worse. You could even put some Corona salve on there. If he chews it use that Bitter Apple.

3. act284

act284 Big Dog

bitter apple makes him have a funny face, then hes back at it...cayenne pepper does the same with the added insult of diarrhea to clean up

i work at the vet and have been getting major discounts too...also got radiographs of the tail to see if it is bone related....NOPE...

losing hope for a legit diagnosis haha

Dr thinks it could be traumatic injury...either tail chewing, or being sat on in crate or whipped around...my disagreement is that i never see hi lick chew or bite, and same with wagging...but if thats the case...why all are the lumps perfectly along the same side and line on tail...all along bony prominence on top side

cant be bug bites since it went from 2 to 3 to 4 to ow 5 bumps

4. JRSPITS

JRSPITS Top Dog

One of mine has those from the base of his tail down several inches. He got it from licking/fleaing (no fleas or other indications). Doesn't cause any problems & we use nu-stock to help heal it when it gets bad.

5. act284

act284 Big Dog

i've tried nu stock with no luck...maybe he keeps licking it...but its the only e-collar i can fit him in and still have him crated

did your dogs bumps raise up as well and lose hair at the tip sort of rat tail like?

none of the dogmen ive contacted have a damn clue...and neither has the 2 vets ive been to

6. JRSPITS

JRSPITS Top Dog

His was more at the base of his tail down a couple inches, but trhe bumps were raised and there was hair loss and scabs. The nu-stock didn't make them go away completely or regrow all the hair, it just healed the wounds.

We never got a diagnosis either but he is a solid white dog who has had many, many skin issues this is very minor compared to what he has been through so I don't worry about it.

7. act284

act284 Big Dog

damn...this dog has it at the tip...id like to know why...just why

haha

8. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

try cleaning out the living quarters...it looks like the mites from that hay/straw that is in the base of the picture....i have tons of fescue and grass hay that i use for bedding...i see these same things every now and then,,.\\US1

9. MinuteMan1979

MinuteMan1979 Big Dog

It could def be from rubbing ont he roof of his dog box/crate. i had several dogs that ALWAYS looked like that because they would just wag they're tail in the box all day.

All I did was put those two in SHORTER houses for the summer. They couldn't stand up, so they didn't wag they're tail against the roof, they actually both started hanging out on top of the boxes, and the tails healed pretty quick.

ALSO had a mail with stud tail... I just ignored it and it never bothered him. Just had a weird bald spot on the base of his tail for a couple years...

10. act284

act284 Big Dog

yeah...looks like its going to be ruled as trauma caused...either the dog is biting on it in the crate and the scar tissue has formed or hes sitting on it and rubbing it...

looks ugly, but oh well, as long as it doesn't hinder the quality of life or performance