1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Temperament Question

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by BullyProud, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Ok I have question for you guys about temperament in your dogs. I was asked this question and had other people that were with me asked it as well and the answers varried quite a bit so I am interested in what you all have to say.

What would you expect of your dogs if someone they did not know walked onto your yard without you there.

What would be acceptible to you? What wouldn't?

2. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

I would expect my own dogs to greet the person, or possibly be indifferent. An acceptable range for me would be anything between friendly greeting and an alerting bark, or possibly keeping away from the stranger, but not outright aggression. That's JMO.

3. Virgil dogs

Virgil dogs Big Dog

Back when I had a yard full when someone came to visit,for the first time, I would watch how my older dogs would react to them.If they didnt trust them,neither did I. They are a very good judge of character.To your question it would depend on the persons intent.If you are not with them why are they there? Nowadays you guys probably dont get to many strangers in your yards but if you do check out your older dogs.

4. bulldog426

bulldog426 Big Dog

it depends on who the person is, i have a fenced in yard, and i want my dogs to bark their asses off, if it's somebody they don't know. even bark if it's somebody they know, they bark a little different if it's somebody they know. that way i know when somebody is outside. and if somebody asks does my dog bite, i tell em yeah, u better watch him, or i don't know he's kinda strange, that way discourages people from stealing your dogs, and also discourages unwanted visitors when you aint there i.e. that methhead that is always looking for something to steal. i have 12 month old male, that stays inside most the time, and he knows that get em means bark at em. not attack em, just bark at em, make him think he's mean. and if it's somebody i don't want in my yard ill send him to the gate. and he keeps em from coming in the yard. a couple weeks ago there was this crackhead came by, wanting to bum some money. "crazy ass" who is always trying to steal anything he can get his hands on i saw him out there at the gate. i let him go, along with the little six month old bitch, and red is chained right next to the driveway, he sees the other dogs raising hell so he raises more hell at the chain. and it kept the thieving crackhead out my yard, just by telling him them dogs will bite, although they will probably just lick you to death, but my year old male was acting real strange, didn't like him at all. we put on a good stage performance lol. now if it's somebody that is welcome, or if it's the police, or peta, or animal control etc. i let the dogs know it's ok, and let them know the dogs are ok, that they don't bite. my year old male is my main watch dog, smartest too, if i tell him to stay he stays on the porch, if i want him to go hold em at the gate, i tell him get em.

5. jadedpitgirl

jadedpitgirl Top Dog

You might want to re-think that one, LOL! PeTA will snatch your dogs up and accuse you of animal abuse for keeping them on a chain. Do a search of this forum for the craziness that is PeTA. Just type the word into the search option located on the top right of the screen just above the advertisments.

6. Stillwater

Stillwater Top Dog

If someone is on my yard, while I ain't there, and my dogs don't know them, I hope they eat their ass up, because they will be tresspassing on posted land !!

But all mine would just wag their tails and want to play except my guard dog, and she would most likely do what she is there for.

7. misterdogman

misterdogman CH Dog

With all my dogs but 1.... I would expect them all to just see someone new and wiggle happily expecting some attention.... or expecting to get some food....so they all are cool with someone strange...... except Bambam when hes On the chain also is really it, in the house if I greet you and your cool and not like a weird acting or thieving type hes cool. But if he is on a chain and he has NEVER EVER seen you and you just walk up you are going to get bitten. Come on they are animals and will protect their territory and I think when on a chain he may feel like he is either cornered or what he has he has to protect so I never have punished him for it but hes never really bit anyone either so I dont know what I would do it he did. One time when my partner came to feed the dogs when I was out of the country Bambam came out like a badass and growled at him before he saw who it was, Mac was like hey BAMBAM BAMBAM and he stopped and got happy but he knows Mac, so I dont know what he would do if he came out like that and the person didnt know his name ....and Bam didnt recognize them. But I guess in that case the person is responsible for putting themselves their not my dog because he did bite someone who broke in one time trying to steal him and my puppies. But hey in my mind a good Lab or Shepard or Doby would do he same..... so how could you persecute a dog unless it was just aggressive for no reason and biting indiscriminately? TO me whatever the animal did in that situation is acceptable...... especially if the animal is on your property and properly contained.

8. buzhunter

buzhunter Pup

All inside my yard belongs to me and I expect my dogs to stop anyone from crossing that line. If they fail to do so, it's time to get another dog.

9. Chef-Kergin

Chef-Kergin Guest

if you came in my yard and let my mutt of her chain, she'd show you where the key to the house was, let you in, and then lick you as you walked out the front door with my over-sized tv, ps3, pistols, rifles, and anything else valuable. hell, she'd hop in your car and go for a ride, too.

i'd expect nothing less of an apbt.....friendly to every person they meet.

that's not to say i haven't met some dogs on other ppl's yards that weren't as inviting if their owner wasn't with me.

i even met one that tried to bulldog me out of her chain space, but that was no sweat.

*edit*

a "real" bulldog, Machobuck's temperment -

(sorry for the double post of the vid....couldn't edit it out for some reason....can a mod lend a hand?)
    <OBJECT height=355 width=425>
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AR_XxB4-Q_8&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="355" width="425"></OBJECT>

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2008
  10. bulldog426

bulldog426 Big Dog

yeah i know was just using it as an example. if peta came to my house they would freak out, deer heads on the wall hog heads, deer horns and hog jaws nailed up on the shed, skinning rack outside, dogs on chains. breaksticks in my house and in my truck, got a pig that was caught by dogs out in the pen, "a little cut up" got a dog with some hog scars on it. oh and i got my dogs chained to axles, big no-no from what i hear.

11. coolhandjean

coolhandjean CH Dog

I would expect them to wag their tails and want some petting. Going by the breed they are, that would be acceptible to me.