1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Terrier work

Discussion in 'Patterdale Terriers' started by Ghostman, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Ghostman

Ghostman Pup

Looking for some one or some were to hunt my dogs. Would like to try them on nutria,groundhogs I have all the gear just no place to hunt
    Thanks

2. rathernotsay

rathernotsay Big Dog

Ghostman, checked your profile before I replied, the world is a big place. Maybe narrow it down a little bit for us eh? And what is your definition of all the gear , just curious as my definition and someone elses is gonna be different, what all do you drag out with you into the fields?

3. snakewidomski

snakewidomski Big Dog

Haha, ...not say where he is located, ...nothing about his dogs, ...nothing about the quarry he wants to hunt. Very funny!

4. snakewidomski

snakewidomski Big Dog

Are you the same Ghostman who is on the Deadgame's Messageboard?

5. Ghostman

Ghostman Pup

Yes I'm the sane one on deadgames board I'm in la. I have 3 older patts tracking system 2 good shovels a med pack and a atv if needed. And I put would like to try to put them on nutria , groundhogs. Were I live I don't have much to put them on. And I would be willing to travel a good ways to put them on some quarry

6. rathernotsay

rathernotsay Big Dog

7. Would like to try them on nutria,groundhogs

What part of that did you not understand before you gave your statement?

Ghostman, I am willing to help anyone who is a fancier of any working breed. For the quarry you have listed, la is loaded with Nutria, just about any water way there has them in bulk, for groundhog, you will have to travel to ms or a more northern state to start finding them. Hell we have them here in eastern ok. If your willing to make the drive, I will put you on a bunch! You'll find your bulk of chucks at the woods edge of plowed fields etc. You will need a good locater box and collar set, a good spade(and for nutria I suggest stainless as the mud won't stick to stainless), and a good finding/staying worker. Don't let these funny guys get to you, do your thing.

8. rathernotsay

rathernotsay Big Dog

Oklahoma Dan , "Don't let these funny guys get to you , do your thing" What funny guys? Who are you talking about Okie Dan ? Sure yup, Snake's English isnt the best, and he read a little fast before replying, I follow you there, who is your second funny guy?

9. Was referring to snake yes I understand the language barrier.

10. Ghostman

Ghostman Pup

Thanks Oklahoma Dan I don't mind the drive I drove to va last year to hunt ground hogs. I use the terrier long ranger tracker. And the dogs should do the trick. I had them on coon,opposing,and fox. Didn't get any ground hogs it was my fault I didn't know they had 3-4 holes in and out. But the nutria I'm on the wrong side of la. But got a friend that I hog hunt with that lives by the basin that's trying to find a place to hunt some rats

11. rathernotsay

rathernotsay Big Dog

A pig farm is a good place to hunt rats. Grain silos are good for rats. Out behind restaurants with a grease trap is a good place for rats.

12. PITS+PATTS

PITS+PATTS Big Dog

Aside from farms and grain stores youll find more vermin in citys than in the countryside,well in London anyway,an estimated 10,000 town foxs in London,and all the Groundhogs(women) you want!lol. Dunno wat this had to do with Nutria?????????

13. how are your schwab puppies doing these days?? How many litters do you have from the 1 year old male you were breeding?? I honestly figured he would be a great finder considering the Old Nuttall blood he carries, blew my mind when you said he lacked finding..

14. agreed!! But we are talking about an up to 30 pound ground dwelling nutria rat.

15. Ghostman

Ghostman Pup

A lil bit of different kind of rats. But yea I was talking about nutria rats. I guess they would be something like the Louisiana groundhog lol.

16. snakewidomski

snakewidomski Big Dog

Maybe there is a not undestood about "lacks finding".
    I don't fancy he isn't able to find anything.
    I mean I have better dogs for finding.
    I have bred him to 2 Patterdale females and 1 APBT female.
    A wild boar hunter, who has a big pack of Hounds and Terriers, has bred my male to one of his mixed bred females, after he has seen him working. The litter is a year old now, and he told me that they works fantastic on wild boar.
    Last autumn I worked my pack in corn fields on wild boar, and I think they have done their job very well.
    But I have no earthwork around my area, also I had trouble with my wife and kicked her out of my house, what brought my some money- and some time problems.
    I hope 2012 will be better for me and my pack.