1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

That once in a lifetime dog.

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Mr.Mixon, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Mr.Mixon

Mr.Mixon Pup

In a short time (a few years) it will be that time. My female Angels' Baby is about to turn 8 years old. Angels' Baby is the very best dog I have ever owned. She is a true Bulldawg all the way. She is intelligent, agile, and the very most important to me, she has a never say quit drive. I will never in my life own another one like Angels' Baby. A once in a lifetime dog.

I have kept my own line of dog for many years. The line originally started with Colby Dogs of which my family got off of the Colby yard in 1979. I kept the dogs pure until a few years back when I did an outcross to some Old Family Red Nose/Hammonds blood, then I did another outcross to some Heinzl blood (heavy on the Colby) 2 years ago. Out of these 2 outcrosses I didn't find anything that could compare to Angels' Baby.

I recently did a breeding with Angels' Baby to a Son off the Heinzl outcross I did 2 years ago. I am keeping them all but 2 until they are grown so that I can see if I have another Angels' Baby or something close.

What do you guys do when you have had that one dog that nothing else seems to compare to? Do you just accept the new dogs for what they are or do you keep trying to create that dog again or something better? It took me 14 years to create Angels' Baby. Will I have to try for the rest of my days on earth for something even close?

I have 3 guys here in California that keep yards off of dogs produces from my very small program. These dogs just weren't keepers to me personally. I have even told them to get something else. One guy is taking 4 of these dogs to his family in Mexico in a few weeks, because they are very interested in them after visiting his home.

I am actually sitting here stressed and worked up. I have only slept 4 1/2 hours in the past 2 days with this weighing on my mind. I guess I just have enjoy the few years I will have let with Angels' Baby enjoying every single minute, every single second.

Just some random thought,

Mr. Mixon

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2013
  2. afb263

afb263 Big Dog

stop trying, not to be mean but I once heard a man only gets one good dog. After. My girl died I bought about 6 adolescent dogs, none compared, she just knew me so well. Enjoy your time you have left.

3. ursaminor

ursaminor Top Dog

All this without a ped.

4. Mr.Mixon

Mr.Mixon Pup

Yeah I am just going to enjoy these next few years.

Thank You,

Mr. Mixon

5. bounty

bounty Big Dog

Change your attitude. Instead of thinking she is as good as you will get, start thinking you want to breed something better. Look at her good points and find her weaknesses and improve on that.

As far as breeding goes you have two options.

1) Breed her to many different dogs that are as good as her or better and then build a line from those offspring. Keep her in the ped. between 50% and 25%. if that don't work outcross again and decrease the percentage you are breeding on her.

2) Analyze her pedigree. From what you said it sounds like she was an outcross and possibly a lot better than her parents. If so you keep two separate families of dogs and continually cross them and possibly get another dog as good or better than her.

While you are doing that, enjoy your dog.

6. cdog1974

cdog1974 Pup

Does any1 know of great dog breeders-thats not peddlers?

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

7. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

IF your only getting a good dog once in a life time then you aint doing it right LMAO.

8. Vicki

Vicki Administrator Staff Member

SillyShit, nice to see you again!

9. ourgalsunday

ourgalsunday Big Dog

As long as Angels' Baby is alive you probably wont really find one as good . A small part of what make her great is your love for her.
    Dogs sense that. Most to all dogs push for approval & when there instincts show to them there owner feels the same .
    That counts for some thing with that dogs spirit.

For you , your emotional bond might only be quenched with a dog out of her line.

10. Dannyb

Dannyb Big Dog

What exactly is causing you to lose sleep? I also agree that your emotional attachment might be clouding your judgement. It does for every dog fancier to some degree.

On another note, that Heinzl breeding sounds like it might click and be a nice.

11. keystone

keystone CH Dog

IF your only getting a good dog once in a life time then you aint doing it right LMAO. .........
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    2x .

we understand mixon kennels is not the place lol

12. Mr.Mixon

Mr.Mixon Pup

Thank You for this post. I think that I am going to take a daughter of hers and take that back to Angels' Baby's litter brother (make get some semen put away from him soon).

Mr. Mixon

13. Mr.Mixon

Mr.Mixon Pup

Just knowing what level Angels' Baby is on and thinking that it may be gone in its form.

I am going to in the future take one of her daughters to Angels' Baby's litter brother. I could also always take that same daughter to one of Angels' Baby's sons from that Heinzl outcross.

Thanks,

Mr. Mixon

14. Mr.Mixon

Mr.Mixon Pup

You are correct. My yard was never meant for the masses. It was only for myself and my own program. And you will never see a puppy placed on my website for sale ever. The site was recently built only as a dedication to Angels' Baby and her daughter Sassy.

When I do a mating (which is rare, once every 2-3 years) most of the pups go to friends, and family members. My father and uncles started with dogs from the Colby yard and most of my uncles children also keep dogs so we keep them within our family mostly.

So like you said "Mixon Kennels Is NOT The Place".

Regards,

Mr. Mixon

15. Mr.Mixon

Mr.Mixon Pup

bounty

Once again thank you sincerely for your post. It was motivating and very helpful.

Mr. Mixon

16. corvettedex

corvettedex CH Dog

The Colby bloodline is the Best. I Own a pair of Colbydogs. There 3years old and they are by far the best Game dogs i have ever had . I live in Pelion S.C. Flecher Chavis and David Tant and many other good dog men live close by. They All seem to have 1 thing in common - Colby blood. MY Colby dogs Major,and Ravon, pics and pedagree, are on the colby dog pics thread. Good luck to you.

17. bounty

bounty Big Dog

You Are welcome. When i gave that advice i was thinking you need to do about 4 or 5 litters per year or at least every two or three years. One litter here and there will keep you at the same place you are at now. Unless of course, you get very lucky. 4 to 5 litters per year will put the odds in your favor and help you gradually move forward. Plus it will give you a good idea of what works and what doesn't.

18. mccoypitbulls

mccoypitbulls Underdog

I remember you from another site. can we see the peds on the crosses? seems like you are focusing too much on one dog and like some have said..it causes kennel blindness. there are good colby dogs and if she is from a cross..maybe freshin back up with new colby blood..after so many years of using the same stock..it sounds like u may be using the wrong dogs to cross with...but some good blood..how familiar are u with the dogs from the crosses..grandparents and so on.
    need peds to get good idea of what ur workin with man.

19. young muscle

young muscle Big Dog

@ Mr. Mixon you said you'll never see a pup for sale on your website but I tried to look up
    Angels baby up online to see her pedigree but I came with an add on ebay that you put up
    of a little white pup off Angels baby for sale for $200!

20. young muscle

young muscle Big Dog

@ Mr. Mixon you said you'll never see a pup for sale on your website but I tried to look up
    Angels baby up online to see her pedigree but I came with an add on ebay that you put up
    of a little white pup off Angels baby for sale for $200!