1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

The Colby Bloodline - History

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by austinkelly06, Nov 3, 2011.

Tags:
  1. I've been doing a good bit of research on the Colby bloodline over the past few months and I'm debating on purchasing a pup. Can anyone tell me the history of this bloodline? How long has it been around, who started it, and are the original breeders still breeding purebred colby dogs?

Thanks in advance for any information:)

2. do u own any apbts now????

3. synno2004

synno2004 Top Dog

do research and keep seraching for the next 5 years and you will get answers on both side of the spectrum.....................LIVE IT, EXPERIENCE IT and base your opinion on YOUR endeavours

4. lil mayhem

lil mayhem Top Dog

He's right live it go out and buy one if that's what you want. Don't wait 5 years though go do it. You only live once

5. brindle

brindle Big Dog

Do a search on here about Colby dogs, there should be plenty of info on them.

I'd recommend the book "Colby's Book of the American Pit Bull Terrier" by Louis Colby. It's an excellent history of the dogs and family behind them, it is full of great old photos too.

Try Amazon for a copy, it's a worthwhile book.

There is also an old book by Joseph Colby called "The American Pit Bull Terrier" and that one is available online to down load and read. I don't have the link at hand but maybe someone else will post it for you. Or search for it.

The Colby dogs are a part of history. The Colby family is still breeding them, and a few others have the same lines so you can find a pup if you want one.

But if you have never owned a pit bull before, make sure you are ready for the responsibility. They are great dogs but they are not for everyone...

Good luck.

6. synno2004

synno2004 Top Dog

I like your sense of humor..............:dogtongue:

7. cliffdog

cliffdog Top Dog

Didn't Jessup co-author that book?

8. brindle

brindle Big Dog

Yeah but it's still a good book....

9. 1916

1916 Big Dog

Since you have been doing some research for the past few months shouldn't you know something about them by now? Like how long they have been around?

10. redrumdog

redrumdog Top Dog

I don't think Jessup really had much to do withe information in the book except for the part she wrote about Louis Colby.

11. brindlexpitt

brindlexpitt Top Dog

or better yet.. who started it lol

12. Yes I have a rescue, he's 16 years old.

13. Thanks for the information. About the only good answer. Man, there are a bunch of arrogant pricks on these forums, huh?

14. Blackpoison

Blackpoison CH Dog

ow yeah lol

15. bgblok68

bgblok68 CH Dog

Along with the Dumb Asses.

16. 1916

1916 Big Dog

Yeh well if you had actually done the research you say you have done then you wouldn't be asking stupid questions, you would already know the answers.

17. 1916

1916 Big Dog

Hell the Colby line is one of the easiest to find information on.

18. bgblok68

bgblok68 CH Dog

Google + Colby + apbt = All your questions answered. How damn hard is that? No smart ass answers from arrogant pricks. What did you expect?

19. brindle

brindle Big Dog

I think this is the link to the down loadable copy of the 1936 book by Joseph Colby on the American Pit Bull --

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1XNYZ1EG

I did not try the link because I own the printed book and so I have no need for a down loaded version.

Hope the link works, let me know if it does not and I will try to find it again.

20. redrumdog

redrumdog Top Dog

You are 16 or the dog is 16?