1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

They all don't turn out.

Discussion in 'Breeder Discussion' started by ziggy311, Jul 16, 2014.

1. ziggy311

ziggy311 Big Dog

Every real dog man should know this.
    If all dogs did then there wouldn't be need to check & cull.
    You can just breed. Just remember this. If your will to breed , be willing to replace, free of charge , a dog that didn't really pan out if that dog didn't meet the standards.
    Now if the new owner wasn't up to par & didn't meet the standards, the NO! don't give them shit!
    But as a dog man you should stand for more than a dollar.
    It's better to try & make things right for someone who has done right for the dog & didn't get a fair shake.
    "THAT DOESN'T MEAN IT SHOULD BE A CHAMPION, IT MEANS THE DOG SHOULD BE A BULLDOG & TRY HARD TO BE A CHAMPION". AND IF ALL IT WINS IS 1 THEN SO BE IT!
    BOLIO ONLY WON 1 ALSO!
    You pay a good price for dogs based on time the breeder has invested in that family.
    They can't get back the years & money that they have invested.
    But some breeders will understand your time invested in that pup also.
    Stand behind your stock.

2. mccoypitbulls

mccoypitbulls Underdog

Nice post there ziggy

3. keystone

keystone CH Dog

But some breeders will understand your time invested in that pup also.
    Stand behind your stock.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    right ..................................................

4. bounty

bounty Big Dog

Depends what the agreement is when you buy the pup. If it's pay the money and good luck to you, then that's what you stick to.
    If you guarantee your pups then stand by that. Just be clear at point of purchase is what i'm saying.

5. bushwick

bushwick Big Dog

Puppies are a gamble no matter how you look at it. Any buyer of a puppy should automatically know what the deal is and assumes the risk of it not turning out. There are several factors on the outcome of a puppy. Breeders have no control once a pup is sold, and should only give a guarantee within reason. A physical defect is a reason but a mental one may be environmental issue and no shortcoming of the breeders program.
    An adult over the age of 3 is a whole different ballgame.

6. Rock n Rye

Rock n Rye CH Dog

I don't know what y'all accustomed to or what yall been breeding but I know by the time mines are 6 weeks if they are game or cur, if they will win against the Elite or not and if it will be a game loss or if they will just stand the line..

7. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

most intelligent post in this thread. How

8. niko

niko CH Dog

Yes how?id like to know lol

9. allichi23

allichi23 Pup

You also get snakes that will purchase a dog when there bitch is ready have your shit now call u say the dog isn't up to par an ask for there money back or another dog in return, I say invest wisely also an a dog here could be a c dog there , so many gr ch an great dogs cause they never met

10. ziggy311

ziggy311 Big Dog

Try to rephrase it.
    It's called ethics as a breeder.
    Are you about the money or the dogs?
    I don't breed dogs for the public.
    I don't feed or breed dogs based on papers.
    I don't care about what the public thinks about me or my dogs.
    I have known a lot of other breeders who didn't either.
    But we knew the dogs we fed & bred.
    We took time learning our bloodlines before offering them to the open public.
    When you have seen @ least 3 generations you don't have to guess if there would be good dogs coming out of the litters because of papers. You didn't base the breeding's on papers!
    You based them on what you have seen yourself!

You should know each dog in the pedigree & the quality of what you are feeding before breeding & selling.

You should know IF YOUR ACTUALLY BREEDING WORKING DOGS & HAVE SEEN THE PARENTS & PARENTS TO THE PARENTS & SO ON THEN YOU SHOULD KNOW THE QUALITY OF THE LITTER!
    No one expects or think that every dog will turn out.

But If someone had gotten a pup from me, I would have a good Idea about the age, weight & when they turn on ready to hunt & style they use when hunting.
    It's about working dogs not pretty papers.
    I don't have to guess & wonder. I've seen them!
    Some may have a 40% turn out some may produce 80%.
    A couple may even produce 100% of the litter turn out.
    And the reality is some litters don't produce shit! A chance you take when breeding to someone elses dogs.
    Zero turned out! That just bulldogs.
    But if the dog doesn't want to hunt by 2, then I know he didn't turn out!
    I'll give the person another I believe that will hunt. I wouldn't feed or breed one that didn't & wouldn't expect some one else too.
    If the second didn't then I'll have no doubt that nothing wasn't wrong with the dogs but the person with the dogs.
    Some folks are just stupid & will wear out a pup long before he can actually become a dog.
    Some are dumb & expect to see a dog in a pup before he's old enough to be a dog.
    A lot don't know the difference between quitting & over heating due to lack of training & so on.
    In other words some have no reason even owning a dog.
    But If that pup you sold parents, grand parents & so on have turned on 1 1/2 and gave you a decent result in a hunt generation after generation,you as the breeder will know if the dog you sold runs & jump @ 3 the dog isn't any good ! It's a cull.
    That is your name behind that dog!
    If you want your name to mean something @ least let it be known your more about the quality of what you put out & not the money your trying to get.
    No they all won't be ch's. That's not the meaning but as long as it likes to hunt then you did your part as the breeder.
    The whole purpose is to better the breed. Papers guarantee nothing.
    But trying to replace one that didn't turn out from your yard for one that did should mean everything to you as the breeder!
    If you don't care about what you put out then why breed dogs?
    Just because I have space ,money & time to feed 200 dogs don't mean I'll feed 20 dogs.
    More concern about the quality of what comes off the yard.
    I have bought a lot of dogs over the years from a couple of hundred bucks up to a couple of thousand bucks.
    But I respected & admired those that would replace a cur for a game dog.
    If you don't know what your feeding & producing then you need to take time & learn them before you sell them.
    No ones expecting you to know everything or even guarantee a ch or even a winner.
    Just replace those old cur dogs that don't want anything to do with hunting @ all.
    It's better not just for you but the breed as a whole.

11. F.D.

F.D. Top Dog

I can determine all that by ultrasound before they are born. I cull the bad ones right when they pop out. Saves mom the trouble of raising the curs.

12. Dannyb

Dannyb Big Dog

I don't sell grown dogs or pups. But if I'm buying a pup I sure as hell don't expect a refund or replacement if it doesn't achieve my expectations.

Even a grown dog is a gamble. Unless the seller were to have misrepresented or deceived me then it's my job to make any judgement.

Seller's can't guarantee winners. I've seen dogs jump walls chasing birds because they had a poor handler, lose from idiots and lazy conditiiners. Poor feed, treatment.

If I were a seller I wouldn't be trying to figure out who to refund or not. I'd say "no refunds, no returns. Do your homework and due diligence with the dogs before you leave and the pups are a mystery to me too. Take your chances. "

13. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

If you trust Jim's dogs and his breeding more than you do Bob or Mary's, get one from Jim. It's That simple. Now, that has been your choice and your decision. EVERY decision and judgement from A to Z is YOURS, not a breeder.... and they are all on you. If someone is checking their dogs very deep then they won't have as high a percentage as someone will claim when they don't check them deep......but the former will presumably have better dogs. You choose to ride with that first guy, you ride with it and as I said, including the decision of where you get the dog from and from there on out, every decision is YOURS and no one else.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2014
  14. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. My line you can tell by 4 weeks

15. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

Yawl are amateurs I can tell when they first come out of the bitches womb LMAOROTF.

16. Zylonist

Zylonist Big Dog

A lot of good points Ziggy....