1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking about building a kennel

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Wilburmason, Oct 22, 2022.

1. My dogs come in at night but I'm thinking about dropping the chains and switch to a pen/kennel when they are outside.

Any pointers on what has worked and what hasn't etc? One of mine is a heavy chewer so I'm doing my research now

2. Didnt realize I was posting in bloodlines section.

This covid brain fog is crazy.

3. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

The dogs will not be better off for it. It's a lot less room. Neurotic behaviors will usually follow such as digging, chewing, excessive barking etc. If you don't have a tethering law in your area there is absolutely zero benefits to a kennel for the dogs compared to a chain set up. ZERO. They are expensive, less livable area, not even close to escape proof and the dogs become neurotic like zoo animals.

4. AGK

I was forced to go to kennels by law 4 or 5 years ago now. The dogs are not better off for it. The constant pacing back and fourth breaks my heart. When a dog is on a chain they do not have a sense of confinement as the chain attaches from the back so nothing interferes with their view. In a kennel, they damn well know they are confined. Why do you want to go to kennels?

5. In my area they are starting to really enforce the no tethering/chaining law. The exception is if out there with them

6. AGK

That then leaves you with little to no choice unfortunately. I've never been a fan of forced compliance of anything.

7. When we used to import dogs way in the past the dogs that came of the chain always tried to escape and I sensed it took them a while before they settled in