1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on Weighted Collars ?

Discussion in 'Products & Equipment' started by Mextra, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Mextra

Mextra Big Dog

Do you think they are helpful or not ? and if so How much weight in the collar ? , i see them for sale but dont know of anyone that has used them extensively

2. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

Big fan. I use a two pound collar. It is good for the muscles around the neck. I only use it when walking. The dog is constantly moving his head back and forth, up and down, sniffing and looking on walks. Really helps shaking in and out of holds. S

3. I've had some of the 2.5lb from stillwater for years. Love em

4. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

heavy lifting is meant to do in reps, i dont know how id feel about constant weight, especially on a part of the body like the neck..... i may be wrong though.... i never used one.....

5. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

I like em. 2.5-3lbs for most dogs.

6. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

I only use the weighted collars on walks. My walks seldom last over thirty minutes. It may go thirty minutes with the collar, thirty minutes without and then thirty minutes dragging a chain. A dog is constantly exploring and investigating while walking, head up, nose down, sniffing left, sniffing right, nose down, looking to the directions of noise and movement. It is a really good workout for the neck/shoulders. I have seen people who put them on a dog while chained out but I do not see the need nor the benefit for being on there longer than a hand walking. Just like a slat mill or a turn table the weighted collar is nothing more than a tool in the shed. Used correctly it works wonders. S

7. afb263

afb263 Big Dog

what about leg weights on walks? i do like using weighted collars on my dogs but only for the short walks. trails and long walks as well as spring pole/flirt pole i like to have a "nackpack" around 5 lbs, its so funny after playing i take it off and they go wild like they can fly.

8. therealjudge

therealjudge CH Dog

what is a "nackpack"??

9. tigerboy5

tigerboy5 Big Dog

I use 5lbs chains that slide right over the dogs head. I only use them while weight pulling and will use one or two depending on the size and style of the dog and what type of keep im putting on him. I think the way i use my chains versus the way Slim12 uses his weighted collar are for two different purposes. Im assuming slims collar is higher up on the neck versus mine being toward the base of the neck. Im not looking for the side to side, up and down motion. I use the chains for more front end and shoulder strength.

10. afb263

afb263 Big Dog

image_prodprod1400024_largeImage_X_450_white.jpg
    Like this Judge i meant backpack aand i also meant 10-15 lbs.