1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Tick Removal

Discussion in 'Tips' started by chinasmom, May 1, 2009.

1. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

I know I hate this job. I found something that works pretty good though on people and pets, and less traumatic than the tweezers. Also you don't have to touch them.

Put a glob of liquid soap on a cotton ball and hold it on the tick about 10 to 15 seconds and lift it. The tick will let go on his own and be caught in the cotton ball.

2. ill try that next time!

3. davidfitness83

davidfitness83 Top Dog

thats a great tip!, Pluto had one and we used tweezers and it was a mess. Thankfully we pulled the whole thing off or it would have gotten infected.

4. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

we do have tick here in the bush but yet to see one on the dog and I LOOK! That remedy is going in the first aid toolbox for sure!;)

5. Nell_Bell

Nell_Bell Big Dog

I've seen something this year i havent seen before. Ticks completely burrowing under the skin. Have to pop them out like a zit. Gross. :eek: New for me but I've been in the woods with the dogs a lot more too though.

I will certainly try the soap and cottonball and see what it does! Thanks!

6. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

Soap ,Cotton And Scalpel! lol

That is odd! A good rubb down to feel them,or can you "see " this lump on the skin?

7. Nell_Bell

Nell_Bell Big Dog

On the pit I can see it. Unfortunately, on my long haired ankle biters you can't see em and can't feel them until they are larger :(

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2009
  8. Rocko

Rocko Big Dog

Ive head that the originial blue dawn dish soap works the best. Helps with fleas and ticks...never thought of using like that on a tick though..makes scence. gonna have to try it.

9. osk

osk Pup

good tip. i usually do the tweazers thing then dab with alcahol after incase i dont get the head completely out. will try your way for sure!

10. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

Never had a tick on any of my dogs but If I ever do I will most definitly try that one....thanks for the tip;)

11. XXLbully

XXLbully Big Dog

hey my 6mo dog has had two ticks so far, and I hate those MOFO.
    well concerning the soap and all you could use on a tick like ether, oil or whatever... it might stress the tick while on your dog, and increases the chances of your dog being contaminated by a disease propagated by the arachnid. cuz when its stressed, i heard those mofo realease some of the fluid they keep in ( blood and tick spit) which may contain diseases (ex lyme disease).

hey its a bit of a specific theme, so sorry if my English was approximative.

12. XXLbully

XXLbully Big Dog

so basically I was told to use nothing before pulling that shit off.
    last time I removed the tick, its head stayed in my dog. I put some alcohol on it though, all I did. should I go to a vet? or will the dogs body reject it automatically?

13. InBearsMemory

InBearsMemory Big Dog

Normally you shouldn't put anything at all on a tick before you try to remove it. The reason for that is that the tick will regurgitate all the blood it sucked out of your animal and what possibly is left from a prior victim back into your dog, in return increasing the chance of making your dog sick. Just grab a pair of tweezers or those special tick removal forceps and grab the tick as close to the skin as humanly possible without pinching the skin and gently pull it out. You don't want to grab it by its body and pull because you will end up with tick juice all over the place, lol.

14. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

Thank you for the regurgitation info. I was told to do this by a nurse. Go figure...

15. frenchie1936

frenchie1936 Guest

an infected tick bite is something that is totally avoidable. full removal of ticks should be done by someone who knows exactly what they are doing.

i've always been told by old timers to pull em without an aid of any kind, i.e. soap or a match etc....

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2009
  16. pittychick

pittychick Big Dog

I was just going to post this same exact thing, but you beat me to it :D