1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

To Crop or Not to Crop

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by GuidoandDiesel, Oct 18, 2005.

1. I have a puppy that I bought. I sorta wanna crop his ears. What are pros and cons. what would you do?

2. B

B CH Dog

Only pro is he looks "ideal" to you. There are a LOT of cons. Please do a search on the forums for "crop" and "cropping" and you will get a lot of threads with the cons of this surgery. There really are no pros other than you think your dog looks better.

My personal opinion, leave the poor mutt the way he was born!

B

3. WWII

WWII Banned

I second this. Unless there is something aesthetically very wrong with the ears, leave them.

4. ghost 1

ghost 1 CH Dog

i wouldn't crop his ears,but this is opinion only, they look better but would you want someone to put you down and cut your ears off just cause it looks better.

5. 215pitts

215pitts Top Dog

Leave the ears! THEY LOOK BETTER!

6. nappydawg

nappydawg Top Dog

ears add personality. cutting em off is for looks only.

7. ghost 1

ghost 1 CH Dog

yeah that why they get mean, you cut there ears off and they stay pissed for life,,,,lmao,,,J/K

8. Suki

Suki Guest

Well, since you asked, ....

I say leave 'em! They add far more expression, and cropping them serves no purpose other than an owner's wishes for what he/she THINKS looks better on the dog. The last vet I worked with wouldn't even do 'em!!!!!
    Nothing can go wrong with 'em, but removing them can have its complications.

9. missybee16

missybee16 CH Dog

I prefer them on. I like to rub their ears, puts them to sleep.

10. El Mexicano

El Mexicano CH Dog

look at my dog i bet she wouldlnt look so retarded if i would have gotten her ears done lol

11. lol u kno im starting to believe thats y my dogs r the way they r...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2005
  12. anyways, personally, it's all up to u... initially u make the decision despite what everyone else tells u... there really are no pros to cropping, its more for u then the dog and u've already read the cons... personally, i love the way my dogs ears look with they're crops but that's just me... if u do decide, look into it ALOT first, make sure the doctor will do the operation correctly and know that u'll have to watch ur pup even more closely to make sure it doesnt take off its racks or scratch and pull out its stitching and making sure it doesnt get infected, the racks cant even get wet so bath time will be even harder and then after theyre healed, thats extra cleaning since the ear canal is more exposed... but yeah its all up to u, good luck in ur decision

13. pulldoginks

pulldoginks Banned

I think cropped ears can make a pit bull look mean to someone that does not know the breed i'd leave them but ya i do like the look but i don't crop my dogs

14. whiteyransom

whiteyransom Top Dog

i didn't crop mine. and won't crop any of my future dogs. i've heard that cropped ears alone can raise an suspicious eye your way from unwanted folks.(some think croppe ears are a sign of fighting..????)

15. savage

savage Big Dog

what are his play mates going to suck on if you hack his ears of..?

16. ghost 1

ghost 1 CH Dog

lol,,, maybe ya never know,,, they may hold a grudge, lmao

17. ste mississippi

ste mississippi Big Dog

I like crop and not croped but is beter look who they are if they are beutyfull i like if not and stay up i preferer croped.

18. Big Papa

Big Papa CH Dog

cropped ear to me is good because i like the look.....but i will only crop if the ear is floppy....which is out of pitbull standards i think???

19. WELL I HAD THAT HARD LONG THINKING BUT I DID DO IT
    AND I HAVE TO SAY WHEN I SAW HERE DOWN THE HALL
    RUNNING TO ME FROM THE VET OFFICE SHE LOOK SO SAD
    MY WIFE STARTED TO CRY CUZ IT LOOKED LIKE IT HURT
    SHE HAD DRY BLOOD ON HER HEAD HER EARS TIED TOGETHER BUT IN 10 DAYS SHE LOOKED SO NICE AND MY VET DID IT WITH A LASER TO CUT SO I THOUGHT IT WOULDN'T BE AS BAD . NOW I HAVE A NOTHER CHOICE TO MAKE I HAVE TO SEE IF IAM GOING TO CROP MY NEW PUPP
    EARS HIS EARS LOOK LIKE DUMBO EARS BUT I GET MORE COMPLIMENTS WITH HIM THEN MY GIRL SO THE CHOICE IS YOURS HOPE YOU MAKE YOUR CHOCIE WELL AND TAKE CARE OF YOUR PUPP.

20. Thank you everyone. I have decided NOT to crop. I couldn't look at Diesel sad because I cute his ears off. He likes them and I would have a hard time keeping him from his playmates for fear that they would hurt his ears (the first days after the surgery). Thank you all for your input

B likes this.