1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

To Crop or Not to Crop

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by GuidoandDiesel, Oct 18, 2005.

1. bam-bam's mom

bam-bam's mom Big Dog

i personally wouldn't crop them, stupid people make stupid assumptions when there croped off. also to me it makes them look meaner, and we already have to many issues with people disliking them....

2. Luigi

Luigi Top Dog

"YAY!!!"

My ears are kinda goofy, and yet I'd be ticked if someone had cropped them when I was little. ; )

3. Big Papa

Big Papa CH Dog

well you decision is yours and not ours and what ever dicision ou make shoul dturn out good for you and your friend

4. Suki

Suki Guest

Sorry, gutta add my .02 after reading your reply....

Yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry, had to get that out! (feel better now!!!)

I'm glad you decided against it!!!!!
    Enjoy your baby!:)

5. GD2

GD2 Top Dog

I THINK YOUR DOGS EARS ARE FINE.

6. SEAL

SEAL CH Dog

the other thing to consider and i may be way off is that dogs move their ears to better be able to locate where a sound is coming from. removing the skin around it will reduce their ability to hear full spectrum try taping your ears to the side of your head you dont hear as well. jst something to think about. id imagine it to be the same in dogs...

7. B

B CH Dog

Good to hear, rep points for you for making the *right* decision!:D

Regards,

B

8. Verderben

Verderben CH Dog

i prefer the cropped ears and NONE of my dogs have acted like they were in pain at all after the surgery. also I have uncropped dogs and the uncropped dogs have cronic ear infections. the cropped dogs have never had ear infections. im only guessing that it is because air is better able to get in the ear canal rather than a floppy ear that traps moisture in the ears. If your going to have it done do it at least by 12 weeks of age. and make sure you go to a vet who knows what they are doing.

9. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

thats not true... cropped ears actually let MORE dirt inside the canal .. and they are just as prone to infections, mites etc

10. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

There is absolutely no "better" health reasons to have your dogs ears cropped. Cropping does absolutely nothing for you dog's health besides forcing an extra anesthesia risk upon him. The only reason to crop is for the owner's own fashion likes. It's your choice, but don't say that it's healthier.

11. Verderben

Verderben CH Dog

I never said it is healthier I said what I have observed in MY OWN DOGS. and I groom dogs and the cropped dogs of ALL breeds always have less ear crap than floppy eared dogs. also I have heard of dogs being cropped to try and help with cronic ear problems because it helps more air get into the ear canal to keep it dry in there. my vet has also suggested cropping my girls because of the cronic ear problems. the next step after that is to surgically close the ear canal.

12. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

Geez, why does everyone want to argue? It's a fact that ear cropping & tail docking is done only for the owner's pleasure. That's it. The dog doesn't decide what he likes. If you like it, you like it. Just leave it be.........

Well, my dogs must be freaks then, because the 3 with cropped ears always have dirty ears. Must just be me though...........

And I've NEVER heard of using a cosmetic procedure to "cure" something. In that case, I need liposuction to "cure" my love for peanut M&Ms.

13. surfercalavera

surfercalavera Big Dog

yes man leave his ears!! looks so much better

14. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

I use to groom dogs, too and honestly, I found no difference between natural and cropped. You have to also remember that the TYPES of dogs that come into the groomers are the types of dogs more prone to ear infections ..ie cockers spaniels... and alot owners who get their dogs groomed do so because they are too lazy to brush the dog out at home or clean ears or learn how to trim some hair..

15. ghost 1

ghost 1 CH Dog

if they wasn't meant to have them they'de been made that way, instead of having flaps over they're ears to help to protect them from the elements,i personally thick cropped ears look better but would NEVER crop a dogs ears off,
    but in the case of the M&Ms -- I,m chemically dependant on them, LMAO;) gives me the shakes if i run out, LMAO J/K for those want to argue

16. MonyDawg

MonyDawg Pup

lol how do you explain factor of male circumcision.....

17. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

I won't. This isn't a circumcision board, it's a game-dog board. I'm commenting on the facts about cropping ears...nothing else.

18. I have a 8mth old girl named Jenavie and I'm considering cropping her ears and its purely for cosmetic reasons( she looks ridiculous with them), is it too late to crop em?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2005
  19. Marinepits

Marinepits Big Dog

My vet won't crop ears if the pup is more than 16 weeks old.

I like Jenavie's ears. Gives her personality. :)

20. MrsDanos Back

MrsDanos Back Big Dog

Why does your dog look like it rolled in pollin ( donno if thats how you spell it) from flower it's all yellow??