1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

To Crop or Not to Crop

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by GuidoandDiesel, Oct 18, 2005.

1. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

8 mo. is waaaaay to old to have the surgery done. No vets here would even consider a crop above the age of 20 wks (5 mo). Next time, decide before the dog is 14 wks old. And to answer your other question, yes ear cropping is done for cosmetic reasons (& owners ego) only.

2. Its NuStock that she's covered in. She has developed red mange and is currently being treated with Ivermectin (orally) and I still use the NuStock externally.

I've just recieved shipment of drug called RIDD from INDIA (sort of a dip), so I'll be use that in place of the NuStock.

3. Leave the ears..its part of how dogs express themselves!

4. khun kao

khun kao Pup

leave them. It's better for his health (flies, ...). Better for the game also, (that's my view point), it seem to be more easy for the opponents to get inside the hear when they are croped.

5. B

B CH Dog

You are correct khun kao. An unprotected ear is a vulnerable ear. Leave the dogs the way nature intended them. Cropping just makes YOU feel better. Sad to see a dog go through that shit just because an owner thinks it "looks" better. If they were meant to be that way they would be born that way.

B

6. Bakercloud

Bakercloud Big Dog

I've thought about it. but i always choice not crop um. Two of my close friends wont think of a apbt any other way. I guess it's a personal choice.

A wise man once told me, "you can cut um now, or there gonna get shredded to ribbons later. no matter what, those ears are comin off." ;)

7. I've never cut any of my females ears, but most of my males have it done. No reason, just seems to have worked out that way. Prolly cuz all my females have really nice, conformatioinally correct ears. But most my males were born with JUMBO floppy ears. Do what you want. It doesn't hurt the dog, only itches and is uncomfortable wearing the cone. Its not "cruel," but to some, it can be athsteticly pleasing, or to others can make them think your dog is viscous. As if the shape of a dogs ears determine their personality. LOL

8. DryCreek

DryCreek CH Dog

If only our dogs could talk.....I doubt that one of them would say "I think my ears look silly" or "My ears are to floppy" Cropping is cosmetic surgery, done because the OWNER thinks their dog would look better. Going under the knife is a risk to begin with, with the possibilities of complications. My brother in law had his female spayed and during the "routine" surgery, Spaz had a drastic drop in blood pressure. Luckily all turned out well. Why risk it when it's for ego only. I think it's selfish. JMO

9. Marinepits

Marinepits Big Dog

From a visual standpoint only, is what I meant. Of course it doesn't determine their mental personality. :p

10. i dont agree with cropping dogs ears or docking tails its all for fashion the question i think of whn i think if it is do the puppies feel pain whn getting there tails chopped
    ovasily its like cutting a babies finger off ppl say the nerves arnt funchioned at 2 days old but ovasly they are same with cutting ears ovasly they feel it they swell up and have to be bandaged its inhumane i buy a dog because i like the breed i couldnt care if it has a tail or natural ears. i dont like pits with cropped ears i dont like dobermans with cropped ears i dont think its very fair they cant tell us wether they like it or not !!!!!!!!

11. Well, i've only chosen to have one of my dogs' ears done, and I liked the results. It looks good on him, and I like it. The other dogs i have are ones that I aquired and already had them done. Most show-fanciers crop do rid the dog of any possible faults associated with the ears. Its a personal choice...much like piercing your baby's ears when she's just a new born. For someone to say its an "ego" thing is beyond me. If you have to ask...i'd advise against it.

12. how is cropping a dogs ears like getting your childs ears percied they cut off half the side of the ear it looks sore yet some dogs are ment to have theres done
    like dobemans whn herr loui created the doberman breed in apolda germany in 1890 he needed a unique strong dog 2 help him on his rounds from been mugged. he also worked at the local dog pound so he set about mixing many breeds the rottweiler took the general apperence of the dobeman and coat colour also markings, the manchester terrier smoothed out the rough coat the greyhound ws added for sleekness pointer for trainabilty even the old style shepherd ws added no one will ever know all the breeds he mixed the old style doberman ws heavier built with a stockier head it had a docked tail and cropped ears so if it attacked the person had no oviase part of the ddog to grab.
    spanials and hunting dogs such as weimaraners need there tails quarterd as whn running through brush they can easily brake
    i dont know in ways it looks ok and in others its not humane!!!!!!!!!!

13. So you're saying that docking and cropping are inhumane, cruel, painfull, and shouldn't be done....unless its a breed other than the APBT. So you only have compassion for the APBT??? Wow. That's interesting. What's cruel for one is ok for another....ok...im starting to get the hang of it! *rolling my eyes*

14. a didnt say wht is gd for 1 isnt gd for another i think it is neccessery in some breeds its every1 s personal oppioion!!!!!!

15. That's a whole lot of exclamation marks honey....you upset? :) naw, what i think is wrong, is doing something to your dog (or not doing it) to please someone else, your neighbors, or the general IGNORANT public.

16. What if you get your dog's ears cropped and they come out looking really bad? There were pictures on the internet of dogs with slightly "off" looking ears(i.e. one looked a bit crooked or uneven, or shorter than the other), some were so short that there was barely any ear left...it looked like 2 big holes on the sides of the dog's head...it looked so sad. How much hearing does it take away when the ears are that short anyway? Ears are there to "reflect" sound into the ear canal...if there were none, would everyone have to turn their head sideways to hear better?

17. Stickynote

Stickynote Big Dog

I just can't see myself doing that to a lil puppy for "look" reasons only. I like the ears on for sure!! Adds to theit character. There is a cut off date of when that needs to be done. After that point you can't. Not sure when~ cuz it's not my thing.
    Good luck

18. well not to incite feuds and stares of disbelief but i can actually tell my dogs personality with the cropped ears... his eyes have alot to do with it also... i mean they still move when they're cropped, and to me it makes no difference when it comes to personality....

19. I just love the goofy curious looks she gives me with the way her ears flop around...my boyfriend wanted to crop her ears, but decided not to because her ears are so cute, and the risk of having them messed up is too great because we just moved to a new area and don't know of any good vets that crop anyways... :)