1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Too much water?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by lambchop11078, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Is there a such thing as giving your dog too much water? My puppy will eat his kibble mixed with canned food. Then about 2 hours later he'll gulp down so much water. Then before he goes to sleep at night, he wants more water. The next morning, it'll take him a good 5-8 seconds to urinate.

2. i give my pup water 3x a day, usually about half hr after meals......if i let her drinnk as much as she wants she pees all over cuz shes still not fully able to hold it unless shes in her crate....i think its pretty safe to give water at certain times as you would w. food, until they get to an age where they are fully housebroken and can drink as they please...just make sure she get enough water so as not get dehydrated......water is beneficial for dogs just like it is for humans, when they say you gotta drink a lot of water.....i give my pup water out of the brita, but i know some people who actually give bottled.

3. Bubba

Bubba Top Dog

Water should be available at all times, I can see late in the day at bedtime or something when you can't be around your pup all the time to regulate what it drinks, but other than that, water should always be available.
    BB

4. carson3535

carson3535 Big Dog

If your pup is wanting to drink a lot of water let him/her drink as they please they will know when threy're full of water. Water keeps them flushed out and helps their mucsles.

But I would check into your water system and see how many chemicals come out of your water. I use spring water for my family. Just something to think about.

5. general

general Big Dog

if you are doubtful about about the water you give your dog you can always boil it and give it to him when its goes cold, water should always be available for your dog!!

6. XxKonnectionsxX

XxKonnectionsxX Top Dog

The reason your dog is drinking so much is because your dog is dehydrated. As a pup you should let your dog drink as much water as they possibly can. Just like BBK and the others said, you should have water available to your dogs all the time. Just take up your dog's water when it gets later in the night. But dont do anything like take your pup or dog for a good walk in the afternoon and not give them adequate water before they go to bed.

7. gator

gator Big Dog

All the good clean water that lil pup wants to drink is exactly what it needs.

8. Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll just regulate the water before bedtime or when I'm not around to let him out.

9. Roland64

Roland64 Pup

Real quick, at night instead of regulating his water, let him drink as much water as he wants and just be sure to take him outside for a little longer than usual, and jog him a little around the yard for a second to get things flowing. If he's peeing inside after drinking just take him out right after drinking. Depending on his age he might not be able to "hold it" yet, so it wouldn't matter how much water you let him drink an accident can still happen. Best bet is to take him out after every time he drinks until he is older.