1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Torn Pads

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by BFKENNEL, Aug 28, 2004.

1. BFKENNEL

BFKENNEL Big Dog

how can someone treat a torn foot pads of your dog? Also for basic and instant pad toughner how can one toughens the pad if theres nothin is available in the market for one to buy?

2. azdog

azdog Big Dog

HOW TO TREAT HIS PADS ,I DON'T KNOW ,BUT TO TUFFEN THE PAD UP FOR WORKING THEM OUT,I USE TUFF PAD FROM TOMAS LABS VET SUPPLY IN TOLLESON AZ FOR LIKE 16 BUCKS PLUS SHIPPING.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2004
  3. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

Keep them clean. Theres an excellent salve out there you can put on them..I cant remember the name right off hand but check out your local tractor supply store or even pet store..
    happy jacks balm is pretty good but this stuff I'm thinking of is even better. It even helpd toughen them up.
    Other than that, theres not much you can do but give the dog rest..keep them off hard surfaces, hot surfaces

I'm not sure how your dog blew its pad but its important in hot weather to be careful wear you run them..the cement hold heat throughout the day as does a dirt road, too..

If its a bruise, you can use those boots made for dogs they use in search and rescue..it gives them some protection. If the pad is split, it needs air to heal up but if its real bad, I wrap in gauze and put the boots on. Looks funny but works... I also use them when its hot to keep the paws more protected. Only had blown paws once or twice..

4. BFKENNEL

BFKENNEL Big Dog

Bros, thanks for all the tips and responses it's really hot here in the Phils. and hard too for you to protect your dogs pads if your dogs really pulls really hard everytime you walk her.

5. Texasbulldogs

Texasbulldogs Top Dog

Happy Jack’s Pad Kote works well for injured pads. If it is a problem from allergies you can try a Prednisone type steroid and some athletes type foot spray combination. Just keep him kenneled up until they improve.

6. AC

AC Big Dog

I use petroleum jelly to prevent them from cracking and it works really well. Helps when you have one working the mill.

7. blackbeard

blackbeard Big Dog

I use an ointment named Corona which is easily found in feed stores. Works great. You're supposed to apply it regularly(before the work out and after it) so they don't get to the point were they get torn. Once they are torn you are gonna have to rest them.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2004
  8. First of all, always use a pad toughener before working your dog. If the dog's pads get cracked or torn, use a vaseline/betadine solution to keep it soft and to keep it from becoming really infected. You shouldn't work your dog until the problem goes away.

9. GT99

GT99 Pup

I have some stuff from a farm store, I will have to find out the name for you but its in a green container and they use it for cow udders or some shit (no idea, my girlfriend picked it up) its great to help heal as well as preventing cracks and the like, its been amazing on the dogs in both the heat and the winter, my dogs pull like you wouldnt believe and the hot pavement with sand on the roads is a killer, the winter is just as bad with the sand and salt they use in icy conditions

10. blackbeard

blackbeard Big Dog

Don´t work your dogs in the heat, always work them when it is cool. This is a rule of thumb.;)