1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

toy breeds

Discussion in 'Patterdale Terriers' started by Blackpoison, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Blackpoison

Blackpoison CH Dog

one day when i have my own place..i wil get toy breed dog and take them hunting.. like a chiuahua. run them with other hunting dogs...

i know places with plenty of rabbits..i wana see them chase it. i bet 80 percent will not give a rabit a second look lol , low prey drive lol

2. jacko

jacko CH Dog

i wouldn"t bet against you ! but you never know ,lol

3. davidfitness83

davidfitness83 Top Dog

My chihuahua is complete psycho, He almost got a squirrel that luckily crawled under the privacy fence last minute. I gotta video tape him on walks, any critter or bird drives him mad. He is not an ankle biter nor is he your typical purse dog that has a nasty attitude with people. He just hates other animals besides his pack and he loves kids.

Not sure if he would have bitten the squirrel but he had all the intention to get it. He also hates animals or cartoons of animals on TV haha

4. AGame

AGame CH Dog

i recently acquired me a lil rat terrier again well its half rat terrier and half jack russell terier im going to see if i can turn her into a lil hunter i had a full blooded rat terrier she would kill snakes rats mice jump on ground hogs and damn near any carmit you could think of but she was a good one hope this one turns out to be a lil go getter her parents both work pretty well i know the rat terrier takes care of moles and snakes and runs rabbits like crazy lol and they use the father for groundhogs so we will see with time i reckon

5. bauer

bauer Top Dog

Girlfriends yorkie climbs trees for squirrels, he loves it..

Grchterrier likes this.
  6. PITS+PATTS

PITS+PATTS Big Dog

Hey BP how are ya,how you getting on with your Patterdale?I'd be carefull putting a toy dog up against a squirrel,my mate was walking through a park with his large GSD the other day and a squirrel,half way up a tree started going mad at the dog,barking at it,looked like it wanted to kill the dog,lol. Has anyone else ever seen this?

7. cliffdog

cliffdog Top Dog

I wouldn't recommend it with a chi... not because of their small, but because they have "soft heads". They have a soft spot on their skull like a baby that they never grow out of so even a small bonk on the head can kill a chihuahua dead as a doorknob. Makes me nervous just being around the stupid things, how frail they are.

8. davidfitness83

davidfitness83 Top Dog

I forgot about that, and you make an excellent point.. I am not sure if all of them have it since the show chihuahuas are more extreme and exagerated than the first specimens brought over. I have seen 10-15 pound chihuahuas while mine is only 7 pounds I can see it getting messed up lol

9. jsorrow

jsorrow Pup

Ive had squirrels bark at me before and the dogs also, they can be territorial. I have to assume the worst is during mating season. LOL they sound just like a dog when the do it

10. Blackpoison

Blackpoison CH Dog

nah just wanna see it chase rabbit and maybe bolt them. just wana see them do easy work. just curiosity.

11. Blackpoison

Blackpoison CH Dog

interesting..

12. Blackpoison

Blackpoison CH Dog

patterdales are fine. still taking them out hunting.

13. PITS+PATTS

PITS+PATTS Big Dog

I hear ya,there's a fashion for Jack Russell x Chi at the moment loads of girlie girls have got them,its sad and makes me nervous being around them because you have the nervouness of the Chi and the highly strung genes of the JRT,so there shaking like mad,nippy, and look ready to take a heart attack at any moment!I think its a cruel breeding.They sell for big money aswell!Didn't know about the soft spot,makes them even more of a disaster,thanks for the info,i'l pick my Patterdale up next time i go wandering over to chat to the goodlooking owner of one!

14. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

queer dogs! lol

if i ever own a small dog it would be a patterdale

15. davidfitness83

davidfitness83 Top Dog

I bought mine for my wife when we were dating. If you want to feel like a bad ass get a tiger or a breed that will make you feel like a man ;)

16. not all chihauhuas have the soft spot. its about 50/50 so yah its common but not every single dog has it. i dont think they have what it takes to go hunting though maybe try to bay a rat but not much other than that

17. jacko

jacko CH Dog

anyone use a "yorkshire" terrier on rats etc ?

Grchterrier likes this.
  18. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

That was just me talkin shit, for real though if not a patterdale I'd get a jack russell. If schnauzers weren't so goddamn loud n yappy I'd prolly like em.

19. davidfitness83

davidfitness83 Top Dog

Watch how quickly these jrts take care of the rats !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjNdwha_ct0&sns=em

20. Blackpoison

Blackpoison CH Dog

my uncle got bit last week by a chiuahuah..and owner run away with his dog. it did a small bite on the leg and took his skin off.. after my uncle ignored the bite, thought nice big.. than it started to get worse and colour change. he went to doctor and they have him injection and other stuff. he has a scar now on his leg.