1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

training to use a treadmill?

Discussion in 'Training & Behavior' started by riotact, Nov 5, 2012.

1. riotact

riotact Pup

I am trying to introduce my dog to the treadmill and she is REALLY not taking to it. My other dogs have taken to it easy, so I am curious as to how some of you have done it for your dogs.

She is EXTREMELY food motivated and the first time i put her on there, she walked for about 10 seconds and didn't even realized it b/c she was so involved in the food in front of her. Once she realized that she was moving, she put on the breaks and started screaming.

since then I havent really worked on it b/c I dont want to do more harm than good and make her NEVER be able/want to use it.

She is 6 months old, so let me be clear when I say that I am not trying to work her yet, as she is still young, but wanted to get her familiar with it and at least get her to walk on it without losing her mind. I thought the younger to introducer, the better but I could be wrong. Let me reiterate, I am NOT working her yet, just trying to get her comfortable on it.

And FYI, it is an old electric one that I used to use, lol.

2. sega

sega Big Dog

I'd just let her do what she'll be willing to do 10 sec 20 whatever it'd be n Maby turn the mill off n just leave her on it for 30 mins to get used to it. I dnt like e maills

3. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

it is a time and patience issue....put her on i with the mill off and get her comfortable on it and then go from there...having their feet off the ground is as unnatural as floating in air would be for me and you....it would take some getting use to....and at 6 months she is way young....time and patience....and she should come around....if not, that mill is only one of the tools in the toolbox....pick another one....

4. riotact

riotact Pup

Okay. I will start from scratch. Get her used to being on it while its off and get her used to it on while she is off and them move forward from there

5. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

ive found (so far) that dogs acclimate to the slt easier than the carpet or e mill............i got 3 grown dogs that want NOTHING to do with a carpet mill, but then got a 5 month old pup that will run the thing!

id invest in a slatmill, get em goin on that....

6. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

One of the worst advices ever LWC LMAO.

First off dont even put the dog/pup on the mill. Just turn the mill on and let the pup watch it for a couple of weeks or month. Also if you have another older dog that will work the mill place him on the mill and let the young pup watch him. If you dont have another dog, let him watch you while you walk on the emill.

Dogs learn alot from watching and mimicking others but it works both ways as they can pick up good habits as well as bad habits from watching another dog.

I train people to view dogs as animals and not as people , I am the Bulldog Whisperer LMAOROTF

7. dutchy954

dutchy954 Big Dog

I would never "work" a pup on mill. however i will get them used to the tools of the trade very early on.. let them watch older dogs work. Even start getting pups to walk a lil by 4 months old. The best thing you can do is keep calm and positive. Some dogs take to it better than others, and getting frustrated is just going to make it impossible.

8. riotact

riotact Pup

I def have to work on my patience, between my 2 year old daughter, husband, business and my pup, my patience is worn thin. Lol. I know how counter productive it can be, so I'm just going to have to take it nice and slow. And I'm def not working her yet, just want her to get to know it early

9. PureGameness

PureGameness Big Dog

How do you secure the pup to the mill? At that age with using a colar and leash once they start panicking the colar just escalates it, ever seen a pup throw a fit at the vet?
    Saiyagn gave good advice, but at 6 months I'd rather ber walking the pup myself building a good bond outside getting it use to cars, bikes, ppl and anything else I want it to be confident around.

10. riotact

riotact Pup

I used a harness when I put her on it. I def do hand walk her, I just wanted to get her comfortable with the mill so when I actually do start workng her, she would be ready for it. Thanks for all the advice everyone. Much appreciated

11. stinkrock

stinkrock Top Dog

I start with the slt mill first. I put them on it and watch them. At some time they will stand up an take a few steps. I take them off and play with them for a while. Then I place them back on it. After a while they will start walking on it. Repeating this really works.

12. slim12

it is never too young to acclimate a dog to a mill....that does not mean work the 5 month old on the mill...just teach him that the mill is not a bad thing...once had a heavy bolio male that i was taking some pics of...for a 'cute' picture this male was placed on a slat mill....he was eight weeks old...and started spinning it like he was grown....never had to acclimate him but i did not let him run it for any length of time...all the others get mill time when they are very young...acclimation being the key...nto a workout...US1

13. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

ive been using the silicone lube spray

14. best2best

best2best Big Dog

one dog that i had would freeze up the min the mill would move so all i would do is allow her to jump on it when ever she wanted to then i would put her fav toy on it and play with her fav toy on it then i would hook her up to ot b u t not turn it on and just let her stand on it talking to her then let her 0ff and reward her for her time on it this took months from 10month till 18 month before she would even run it on her own just take ur time and give off a good vibe and she will begain to move on it and whens she takes a few steps on it that perfect take her off and praise her

15. riotact

riotact Pup

Thanks for the advise. I will keep you posted on my progresss

16. slim12

I use a plastic siding surface and once every other month or so I get the carpet elevated and spray it down with Armor-All. Once wiped down and dried it is as slick as glass for another month or so. Like a lot of my previous posts I am a big fan of the carpet mill. What I will say is that as much as I like the carpet mill I understand it is nothing more than a tool and there are other tools in the box. The carpet mill is not the end all-be all in conditioning but I really like the results. US1

17. riotact

riotact Pup

So I've started feeding her treats near the mill while its on so she can get used to being near it and hearing it. So far so good. I'm gonna do this for a while and intermittently giv her treats on the mill while its off. Baby steps

18. slim12

Exactly. The only way to go.

19. My girl was nervous on it until she saw her tug toy. I let her sprint on the mill then she gets to spring pole. Food did not motivate her to run but the firehose did.

20. It took me 3 months to get my 10 month old girl to get used to our slat mill. I began by gettting her to jump onto the mill by giving her treats (offcourse holding the mill still so it doesnt start moving). It took a while to get her to stand on it but I praised and played with her on the mill. Then the difficult part started-to get her to walk the slat mill. I held viennas in front of her and she would walk to take it but would stop as soon as she felt the mill moving under her feet. I just kept on doing that and later on went with a toy. She started walking slowly and praising her helped a lot. And then she saw our male running on the mill and that made her click and because she is very jealous of him, she started running the mill aswell. Most important is to not make your dog stay on the mill. If they want off-let them off and still praise them for the short while they were on.