1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Training ??

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by steve04x, Oct 2, 2004.

1. steve04x

steve04x Pup

My pitt is about 5 months old he is well behaved indoors but when i let him out side to use the restroom he will completly ignore me and run off. He will not come when i command him he just stops and looks back then starts to run again how can i solve this problem ??

2. puregame

puregame Big Dog

Put him on a leash. That is the quickest way to solve your problem. I have a female that is wonderful inside and in the yard but when you take her outside that's it she's off. It took a few chases but I put her on a leash when I take her out now.

When training any dog, especially a puppy, you want to start with the basics. All of your training should start off on a leash. You might want to look into getting him some basic obedience training. They will teach him sit, down, heel and stay. Once he has that down you can start working him on more advanced things, like off lead training. I do a lot of puppy training. If you need some help let me know.

Just remember, he a puppy, so be patient with him. He'll get it.

puregame

3. dustin

dustin Pup

the way i trained my puppy was with a pinch collar. just quick pops and releases. they learn quick. i was told by a trainer that i know that it's bad to train with treats because when they don't want the treat they won't listen. I can take her outside and she listens pretty well for the most part.. it also has to do with your tone of voice. just keep working with your pup and they'll come around.

4. puregame

puregame Big Dog

I would be careful using a pinch collar with a puppy. I seen a lot of dogs ruined by owners not using the collar correctly. It's not bad to train with treats, but it may not have been that trainers preferred method.

Don't be afraid to try new things. Some dogs take to things easier than others. Just remember he is a puppy, with the attention span of a gnat LOL. Be patient and remember repetition is the key. If you teach him a command one day, you need to follow through and keep going over it or he'll forget. Most people with competition dogs don't start training their dogs in obedience until they are 10 months old. That's because they are a little more mature and better able to understand what you want of them.

Good luck with your pups.

puregame

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2004
  5. DeadGame

DeadGame Banned

lol

''attention span of a nat''

6. puregame

puregame Big Dog

Oops my bad, I spelled a word wrong. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

puregame

7. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

you have to sort of "retrain" the pup outside around distrations.

In the house theres not to many but outside the pup wasnt to run free. First mistake..she has and now thinks its all fun and games. If you chase her that even makes it worse ..or if you call her repetedly or scold when she does finally come

So pick a time and work on commands outside. Start on the leash, when she preforms well start working off the leash at 5 months 5 to 10 minute sessions are ok ..heck, even if you can only to it for a minute ot 2 each session it works wonders! Allways end on a positive note and do something fun..like fetch (toss the ball up to her on the leash) She learns that by preforming well she gets to do her favoite things and makes you happy! (lots of priase)

Another great trick is after she has done her business is to give her a few minutes of playtime outside (note..only do this AFTER she;s done her business) This solves 2 problems. One, she learns that the quicker she goes, the more fun she gets to have and 2) she'll get right out and do her stuff that way you arent outside freezing in the winter.

Always keep her on a leash though until she is retrianed outside..

8. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

We start our pups ASAP with basic commands ..for the more serious stuff we do wait but you'll be surprised that even at 4 months the pups learn quick and then they are easier to train as they get into the more serious stuff. It all depends on the pup.. basic commands should be learnt right away. Sit, down, stay and come commands. Even basic heeling should be started

Alot also depends on the pup and breed.. but it is best to start APBTs out ASAP with basic commands because of their strenght and intelligence..

9. puregame

puregame Big Dog

There is no one way to train a dog. Different things work for different people. That goes for dogs as well. I'm just speaking on my own training experience. I'm training a AB and a for PSA right now. I've noticed a big difference in her performance compared to the pups that have been started at an earlier age with heavy obedience. But here I am talking about a Competition dog, and like you said all dogs are different. That's why I say don't be afraid to try different things. Not every training technique works for every dog.

I suggest for any bully breed owner that they get their dog, at a minimum, basic obedience trained. Some people put their dog in puppies classes as early as 8 weeks old. Whatever works best for the owner and the dog I say.

puregame

10. Marty

Marty Guest

That is very good advice Lil Red ;)