1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

typs of fats used when conditioning a dog

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by wheezie, Dec 30, 2010.

1. wheezie

wheezie Big Dog

I'm sorry if this question has been posted before. I used the search option but found nothing.

I believe everyone can agree that fats are better sources for energy than carbs when it comes to dogs. I have been feedinga raw diet that my dog does well on. I switch up diff meats but my main meats are chicken quarters and duck carcasses because of how affordable they are. I also feed vegie glop consisting of collards, broccoli, carrots ACV, mixed in with some organ meat.

When your conditioning a dog I would figure you would need to up the fat intake because of the need for more energy. what sources of fat do you use and how much?

2. Pirbul

Pirbul CH Dog

I use oils: olive and salmon, just because i get them cheap.

Cottage chesse and boiled eggs seems to work too.

Then my butcher saves all the chicken skin when they clean chicken, so i just freeze it.

There is pork fat for cheap too, never used it before but i guess that'd be a good source of dirty fat.

How much? I try to drop weight in dogs slowly so i adjust the diet everyday.

3. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

i add lots of jack cheeses....and get straight beed fat (ends of ribeyes, steak trimmings for $0.39/lb...i drop a ribeye end or two in the feed...i have used coconut oil, flaxseed oil, olive oil...lard....US1

4. wheezie

wheezie Big Dog

you guys ever use beef suet?

5. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

nope on the suet? what is it??? but another good chocie is cow cheek....walmart carried it until recently so i am looking elsewhere...

6. wheezie

wheezie Big Dog

when is the best time to give the fat in your opinion? and how much would you want to give in the beginning? I know i will have to really experiment with the dogs weight and what exactly were doing when conditioning to know an exact amount to give.

7. wheezie

wheezie Big Dog

i actually just got off the phone with a local butcher shop and they are going to be giving me all i can take fat scraps for free

8. Good deal, can't beat free!

9. 6sN7s

6sN7s Top Dog

duck, goat and fish contain most fatt ;)

10. joelkckit

joelkckit Big Dog

is it okay if my dogs main diet is "DUCK" just asking coz our native ducks are much more cheaper than beef, pork n chicken. tnx.

11. tamthebam

tamthebam Big Dog

Ngo, I like your avatar, nice touch man.

12. 6sN7s

6sN7s Top Dog

theres dogs with allergies that live on duck only, but those are complete raw meals with added minerals/vitamins/rice/oils. normally you have to feed more kind of animals to make a complete raw diet.

13. joelkckit

joelkckit Big Dog

so chicken, beef or pork are much more safer to give? tnx.

14. hardluck

hardluck Banned

a good source of a healthy source of fat and oils that i've been using is SMART BALANCE BUTTER. it is good on omega 3s, vitD, A, E, calcium, and a mix of healthy energy oils(fat). i feed raw and i use this butter as a 1 of the sources of fat and oils in the diet. i give 1 heaping teaspoon to the food.

15. 6sN7s

6sN7s Top Dog

what i meant to say is, one sided meat is not good for your dog if you feed raw. you need to combine different kind and different parts of animals to make a complete meal. whether you feed chicken 3 times a week or duck instead doesnt matter imo.

16. joelkckit

joelkckit Big Dog

okay sir. got it. tnx.;)

17. picasso

picasso Big Dog

I beg to differ on switching meat because I haven't and overall my dogs are better looking than when I fed diamond which isn't a great food but far from bad but I have always been a good supporter of it. I have used chicken only for over 90 days now which the treat of macrel or chicken livers and eggs twice a week or so as additive and I couldn't be happier with the results. I agree with the fat over carbs for energy but I have been using brown rice and again I am happy with energy in the dogs. I have done something different with fat this time because I haven't found a new person to get real fat from but I have been using lard and again I am happy with everything. I have a question with the fat in terms of conditioning, I have cut my fat intake being lard for 30 days now and I cut weight good and quick but not at a alarming rate but we dropped about 4lbs off of chain and the dogs look great. I cut the fat to being to what the food delivered only mostly adding lard only every two days or so. I burned the inside fat of the dog easily and with temps being in the 100s, not a bad deal for them. Is the fat they are receiving during my weight adjustment period with no pure fat source enough during the hot months? Using a veggie blend 1/4 cup which is basically no fat, 3/4 cup of brown rice, 1/2-3/4 lb of chicken and a vitamin supplement with the rotation of lard during the first 30 days. Now work has increased so I am giving them a fat teaspoon of lard with the feeding.