1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Unbreakable?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by BoiBoi, Jan 21, 2009.

1. BoiBoi

BoiBoi CH Dog

Anyone every have a dog that couldn't be broken off of a hide cause thats exactly what i've got on my hands. My bitch is right around 12 months old right now and she's coming along nicely, i've been starting some light flirtpoling with her to get her used to working a little however the damn dog has gotten so fast that i can't always keep the hide away from her. Once she grabs onto the damn thing i basically have to put her back on her chain and wait until she sortof releases pressure on the hide and yank it out of her mouth. I'm not brand new to breaking dogs off toys with a break stick but this little bitch has gotten the best of me plenty of times already. I was wondering if anyone else has a dog that they can barely break off a hide and also any other wild dog stories are welcome. Oh and another little funny thing that she does, once i put her on the chain and get the hide away from her, she chatters her jaws fast as hell and makes this crazy sound
    YIS
    B

2. pitbullin

pitbullin Big Dog

One of my virgil bred males is a pain in the ass to get off a hide...u figure out any new trick let me know too lol

3. scratchin dog

scratchin dog CH Dog

Yep.. you know how Angus is with his flirtpole. I feel for ya! lol. That's why I only use the pole without the hide. I can swing it much faster than with the hide, at least it gives me half a chance to keep it away from him. Once he gets it..he's a demon to break off. lol.

4. mac 11

mac 11 Banned

My bitch is the same way, what I have to do once she grabs it I lower the pole till there is no slack(like the prey is dead). Once she see's it still I can get her attention off of it and as soon as she looks at me I snatch it away and the chase begins again.

5. BoiBoi

BoiBoi CH Dog

yea my only problem is she's not interested in anything else like she is with a hide. i'm just gonna have to deal with it cause she's gonna be working the flirtpole a lot more in the next few months to get ready for may

6. BoiBoi

BoiBoi CH Dog

lol well i have it even worse, when she grabs onto it she basically holds the damn thing between her 2 front paws as tight as she can and just chews on the damn thing, i gotta pay attention for when her jaws loosen up just a bit so i can quickly yank it away from her

7. dajuice

dajuice Big Dog

I have the same problem. I use to carry a decoy hide or rag that's not attached to anything and would drop the flirt pole so they can see it on the ground, and whip out the decoy and tease em with it. They go for it and I get the flirt pole back. Sometimes I use a few distractions, like a ball, etc. Lol hope that helps.

8. BullDozer

BullDozer Top Dog

Yes - I keep an extra hide and use that to tease the dog. It is just as important that YOU sell the idea that what you now have is MUCH better than the hide they are holding. I usually like to make a real high pitched and cartoon-like "HA HA!" as to say "I tricked you" as I run off pretending to keep the new hide all for myself. If that don't get em going - you might be SOL - in which case I recommend.... a second flirtpole! Gets em' everytime! Once again - you have to sell the idea that you are now holding "the REAL treat"!!

9. SMOKIN HEMI

SMOKIN HEMI CH Dog

Thats whats up right there!!!!!

10. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

Using an extra hide to teach the "out" is a good idea. I like that. The teeth chattering thing, Terra does that when she can't immediately have something she wants. It's supposed to be a kind of misdirected excitement that high-drive dogs get.

11. BKNLS

BKNLS Guest

I have a pup three months old that I have to use a breaking stick to get off a hide. This little guy has been like this since 2 months old.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2009
  12. MOOT44

MOOT44 Top Dog

I see the 'chattering teeth' when I pry it out of my dog's mouth.....It is SO weird. I am with whoever said it above, who does not use a hide anymore. I found that a string tied to the end of a LONG horse whip works realllllllllllly good. You can whip it around. When they get ahold of it, it's easy to get out of their teeth.

BTW, I use a SMALL rope, like cloth clothesline on the end of the whip, you can usually get that out of their teeth quickly due to it being so small.

Good luck

13. TripleJ

TripleJ CH Dog

Your lil Banjo bitch is a screamer aint she Boi . HEEHEEHE

14. BoiBoi

BoiBoi CH Dog

See the thing is she's not really screaming, i've heard some crazy ass screamers before, she's more of a chattery whiner, not really sure how to describe it but its funny either way.

I've tried everything everyone has suggested already and to no avail, i guess im just gonna have to improve my reflexes and fight with her to get the hide back