1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Vaccination ?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by PADogman, Apr 26, 2005.

1. PADogman

PADogman Top Dog

I was looking over my dogs Vaccination papers and seen DHLLP Booster what for shot is that for.I was just wondering.Thanks

2. Whiskey Bay

Whiskey Bay Top Dog

DHLPP is what it should readwhich is Distemper , Hepetitas, Lepto,Parvo and Parainfluenza.
    Added to it goes CV which is corona virus then Bordatella.Of course you can't forget about your rabies if required by your state.

3. FireBone

FireBone Big Dog

I vaccinate my dogs myself I get them the 7 n 1 at the feed store. It's a waist of money to me to give the vet $121 dollars for all three rounds when I can do it for $18 dollars. My vet says that I should stop doing it. says I'm going to hurt my dogs if I continue the guy thinks i'm stupid all he want is my money. I let the vet do my rabies.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2005
  4. Crash97

Crash97 Top Dog

I too give all vacc. other than rabies. My vet started to give me some shit about doing it myself, until I told him that I do it just like he does. Now they're getting to accept that I do most of it myself.

5. SpencerPits

SpencerPits Big Dog

I want to start doing vaccinations (other than rabies) myself also. What should I get and where (for the best price, reliability, etc)?

6. Crash97

Crash97 Top Dog

I get my vacc. from the farm and fleet or feed store. Most feed stores sell the neccessary equipment such as vacc., syringes, wormers, etc.

7. SpencerPits

SpencerPits Big Dog

I was actually wondering what vaccinations everyone feels I should get for my dogs. I hear 5 in 1, 7 in 1, 8 in 1, etc. What is in each, and what should one in the Southeast vaccinate against? I'm one of those ignorant folks who the vet just loves to have come by. LOL. But with this many dogs, it's getting too expensive to have the vet do the same vaccines I could do at home. I know how to properly administer the S.Q. shots. It's just I've always gone to the vet and said, give em a checkup and all their shots. LOL. So, I don't actually know what shots to give. What is everyone's opinion on what should be vaccinated against yearly.

8. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

Wow, I didn't know so many vets are against people giving their own vaccines....but if I think about it, then I understand--->less money from them. Usually people come in w/their new puppies & we explain why they need more than 1 vacc. at that age & whatnot, but we also understand that not everyone has a ton of money, so we encourage them to buy it themselves vs. not vaccinate at all. Not to say we don't like the money (hey, we got kids & dogs to feed too :) ), but we get tired of dealing w/all the parvo & corona pups/dogs that come in so we push vaccinations wether we do them or not. However, the rabies has to be done by a vet for it to be legal, but it's only $17 dollars for an intact dog & $12 for a s/n dog (the price diff is b/c of Animal Control..not us & we don't charge office visits for vaccines so those prices are exact. Oh, we see more & more distemper cases each year as well. & Lepto is making a comeback all across the U.S. too.

Oh, & we do 3 8in1s total if the pup gets it's first shot under 10 weeks (a 7in1 if it's 5-7 weeks old--->the 7in1s don't have coronavirus) & 2 8in1s if the dog is already over 10 weeks for it's first vacc. We do rabies at 3-4 months.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2005
  9. I buy most of my shots from a local feed store.But I am going to start ordering all my parvo and 7-1 from jeffers.They are cheaper especially when you have pups.I give a parvo shot and 2 7-1 shots.Jeffers also ships them on ice packs with in a few days.

10. Whiskey Bay

Whiskey Bay Top Dog

I order all my vaccines and all supplies from Jeffers.I don't mess with the local feed stores anymore because the vaccines have to be kept chilled and a feed store will not tell you if their vaccines arrived hot or not.The last one I bought was a 7 in 1 and my 10 week old pup had a reaction to the Distemper vacc.He was practically paralyzed for a couple of days.(part of the neurological effect of distemper). Especially in the South the main vaccinations needed are Parvo,Distemper ,and around here we've seen a few cases of Ghiardia(did I spell that right Mia?) If you see normally nocturnal animals such as raccoons and opposums moving about in broad daylight PLEASE call your animal control and let them know,as Distemper is running rampant right now.Your unvaccinated dog is at risk even if he normally stays in a kennel.I have a short article I'll post later.

11. Rockstar

Rockstar CH Dog

You have to watch the Leptospira vaccines as well. I've seen plenty pups have anaphylactic reactions to it. I quit vaccinating for it.

12. crankydog

crankydog Banned

I give my own vaccinations and order them from Revival Animal Health, about the same price as KV-Vet or Jeffers.

After reading some info on the new vaccination protocols that are being recommended, I don't give my adult dogs annual boosters any longer. Here is some info that states that revaccinating adult dogs annually is actually detrimental to their health. I found it to be very interesting reading. It also gives recommendations on what shots that puppies need, and the best time to give them:

http://www.critteradvocacy.org/K9%20Recommendations.htm

http://www.critteradvocacy.org/Canine%20Vaccination%20Guidlines.htm

It also states that they don't recommend the Corona vaccine at all for the following reasons: (quoted)

"Corona Not recommended.

1. Disease only affects dogs < 8 weeks of age. (Vaccinations typically occur later than this when they are of no use).

2. Corona is a rare disease, only 1 case reported in 7 yrs at each of these Vet Schools: TAMU, Cornell, Colo.St., U.Cal.@ Davis

3. Efficacy of vaccine questionable, IgA Mucosal antibodies needed."

And it said this about Lepto: (quoted)

1.) There are an average of 12 cases of Lepto annually in Texas.

2.) Side effects are common.

3.) The most commonly used vaccine contains the wrong serovars. (There is no cross-protection of serovars) There is a new vaccine with 2 new serovars. Two vaccinations twice per year would be required for protection.)

4.) The risk of side effects outweighs benefits.<!--mstheme-->

It makes sense if you think about it, we humans don't typically need annual boosters of vaccines, why would a dog? Their immune systems are not so radically different than ours!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2005
  13. B

B CH Dog

Good info for anyone looking to vaccinate their own animals! I would highly recommend that anyone capable look into doing your own vaccinations. I've been doing them myself for quite a while and it saves a lot of money. I keep a chart on Microsoft Excel spread sheet with dogs names, dates, and vaccine issued. I use the same chart for my wormer and Ivomec. My stupid state won't let you issue your own rabies vaccinations but we typically hit up the Vaccine Wagon that visits our local grocery store. They will issue a rabies for $5 a dog. My vet was charging near $30 per vaccine. When you have more then a couple dogs, that adds up REAL fast. My dogs don't even notice I'm giving them a vaccine. They sit with their head inbetween my knees and I give them a suq-q right between the shoulder blades. I give them a treat after we finish.

Regards,

B of B&D Kennels

14. pitsRus

pitsRus Pup

Mine has had two parvo and dewormed twice, and fixing to get the rabies shot, he's 4 1/2 months, which other ones should he get , i live in south texas so thers alot of mosquitos, fleas, and humidity.

15. the_flamingo

the_flamingo Top Dog

I've been thinking about doing this, but I would much rather have someone show me how to do it. I don't think that I would attempt doing it myself from just reading. I pay about $500 a year in vaccinations and check-ups. Mainly because I'm not sure about doing it myself. I know my vet knows what he is doing and I don't. But I agree, it cost an arm and leg each year in shots alone.

16. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

I would just like to WARN everyone who buys their vaccines from a farm and fleet, TSC or other feed store type.

Vaccines require special handling (ie they must stay at a certain temperature) It is very important to know HOW the stores are handling these vaccines while they are a) being shipped to the store, b) in storage/ warehouse c) how they are kept while being sold. (like with TSC, anyone can reach in to the cooler and grab them..I know of a person who lost 2 dogs by vaccines bought at TSC)

You can kill your dog unintentionally

Personally, I get my vaccines from UPCO.com Best prices I've found (do the one day air shipping never had any problems)
    another well trusted place I know people get their vacccines from is KV vet supply

But just be careful and find how they handle theri vaccines. It could mean a helathy dog vs a sick dog..

17. B

B CH Dog

Good post! I always order mine next day air in a styrofoam container packed with frozen gel packs. They are always stored in the refrigerator after I get them. I only buy from reputable places and I've never had issues with bad vaccines. I'd rather spend a couple extra bucks and get them from a reputable source.

flamingo: It is a very simple process. Most vaccines use a 2 part vial. One is liquid filled and the other powder filled. You take the liquid from one vial into a 2 or 3 cc syringe and then squirt it into the powder filled vial. After you shake up the mixture real well, you draw the solution out with the same needle. I push the plunger and tap the needle to make sure I clear any huge air bubbles. Small ones are not a big issue if you are using a sub-q shot. Pinch the skin between the dogs shoulder blades (they don't even really feel it) and insert the needle between the skin and the muscles. You are trying to inject the vaccine directly under the skin. After you slowly push the vaccine under the skin, be sure to massage the area very well until the lump has gone away. This will help prevent a hard lump from forming under the dogs skin. These lumps are more of a nusiance than anything. Even if you forgot to massage, they will eventually go away on their own. I change needles with every dog because I wouldn't want to inadvertantly transfer something from one to the other although I know quite a few people that change every couple dogs. I can't see risking the spread of anything for the cost of a $.10 syringe. I use my vet only when something is out of my control or knowledge. Vets are good resources provided you have a good one. Most perform services that we as owners are very capable of doing. They charge quite a bit for these simple services. They are trying to make a living off you and your dogs. There is a place for a good vet and that is emergency care beyond owner ability. Typically I would consider surgeries and other high skill jobs to be their mainstay.

Regards,

B of B&D Kennels

18. sixkiller

sixkiller Banned

i guty where i live had his kennel shut down because he gave his dogs shots himself,and i have no idea why

19. SpencerPits

SpencerPits Big Dog

practicing veterinary medicine without a license? I didn't think that really applied to your own animals though. I dunno. Perhaps there was some local ordinance he was unaware of? Was he doing the rabies as well, or did he take them to a vet to do that?

20. GD2

GD2 Top Dog

I Heard That Some Times Thoughs Vacc. Are Not As Good As The Vet Because U Dont Know How Long They Have Been Sitting ON THE SHELF, IF THEY HAVE BEEN HOT AND COLD OR BOTH. IN TRANS PORT THEY NEED TO STAY COLD IF THEY GET HOT THERE NOT ANY GOOD ANY MORE AND MAKE SURE TO READ THE DATES ON THEM.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2005