1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

vets are a rip off

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by sddog, Nov 18, 2009.

1. sddog

sddog Pup

The only time i go to a vets office is when it absolutely needed. Vets are a rip off in my opinion. for example one of my dogs had parvo i gave it iv bags, nutri cal, and parv aid. It was working pretty well, when I wanted some medication to cease the vomiting the vet got $50 dollars to just see the dog, and then they wanted to keep it overnight and do everything i was already doing. They would not give me the medication I asked for because they wanted to do more tests or make me spend more $$$$$$$$. luckily i had a friend that had some of the medication i needed and the dog started holding everything down and survived. These vets would rather see a dog die than to help it, if its not making them any money. I feel like becoming a vet, just so I wont have to keep getting ripped off by these people. Im not saying their useless they are very knoledgable and in some instances they are necessary. But for most things they are useless, many illnesses can be cured with some penicilin or home remidies, they work off of fear and money. They give you the percentage they think your dog will survive. Then they say If you dont do something soon your dog is going to die. Has this happened to anyone else or is it just me.

2. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

vets are not all evil money hungry parasites, quite the contrary to be precise.
    the trick is finding one that will work w/ you.
    i used the same vet for 13 years until i moved to TN, and i could take my dogs to them for anything and everything and they never overcharged me, most of the time they never even charged me the office visit fee.

3. sddog

sddog Pup

you got lucky i havent found one like that yet. feed store owners have been more helpful than vets

4. Michele

Michele CH Dog Super Moderator

My vet is wonderful. She doesn't discriminate against any breed of dog. She lets me promote my pit bull forum:D at her office and I trust her 100% with my dog.

5. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

luck had nothing to do with it. it was pounding the pavement and checking refferences, asking around.
    it has been my experience that as long as you show that you know your arse from your elbow you will get taken care of, not taken advantage of

6. farm curs

farm curs Big Dog

Some vets can be a rip off,they are human of course.Like rallyracer said the trick is finding one that will work with you.My main vet is worth in gold and then some,he even saved my life when the Dr.'s couldn't figure out what was wrong with me.It helps a great deal I've known him since childhood and when he can't help(he does large animals) he makes some calls and hooks me up with a like minded vet,one that is in it for their love of animals.But he does that with all his clients,for their pocketbook and the animals.
    Do you know how hard it is to become a vet?Do you know that if they don't make the cut most of them go to medical school insted?Do you have any idea how much their schooling costs?Let alone opening up a practice?
    Alot of times if you don't do something soon your animal will die,that is not a scare tactic.
    Find a good vet and make nice.

7. sddog

sddog Pup

1. it cant be that hard to become a vet.
    2. they do use scare tactics because most of the time there is something you can give them that will make them better. instead of letting them take care of it
    3. I agree that there are good vets and tests that you have to go to a proffesional for. But if you ask me they are overrated and for suckers who dont know much. im just trying to shine some light on the subject, it might save someone some $$$

8. All about Pits

All about Pits Big Dog

Good thing Im a Vet techian I bring my dogs intoa vet but I work on my own dogs

9. All about Pits

All about Pits Big Dog

Unfornautely the clinic where I work at sucks badly the payment is not reasonable and nowhere near progessinal im quitting really soon

10. All about Pits

All about Pits Big Dog

Professional*

11. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

not being a prick, but you clearly dont know what you are talking about.
    for example....
    it takes 8 years of schooling to become a vet.
    then you must past a national medical board exam....then whatever state you want to practice in, you must pass their exam.
    there is continuing education required
    vets are doctors, this is not a technical college degree or certificate.

12. All about Pits

All about Pits Big Dog

''takes 8 years of schooling to become a vet.
    then you must past a national medical board exam....then whatever state you want to practice in, you must pass their exam.
    there is continuing education required''

That is damn well correct and you make alot of money at it as well but i care more for the animals then some money

13. All about Pits

All about Pits Big Dog

Thats been me for the longest

14. sddog

sddog Pup

i know its hard and takes a long time. i go to school for something else though. If i did attend medical school for animals it would not be to try and get certified. it would be to gain the knoledge to work on my dogs so i did not need a vet

15. All about Pits

All about Pits Big Dog

But you say you wanna work in the meical field you littarly have to go to College and get a degree and become certified to become a Vet

16. All about Pits

All about Pits Big Dog

You can gain just as much knowledge maybe even more if you go to a good college that has people that can truly teach you

17. farm curs

farm curs Big Dog

Actually you don't for years,it can take 10 years to pay off loans,like I said if you want to open your own practice after that it can cost over 100 g's

18. Dreamer

Dreamer Big Dog

Good luck finding a vet that will work with you with that attitude.

When I find a new vet that I like, I realize that it is going to take a while for us to get to know each other and for the vet to find out that there is a lot I know and that I can do at home. I be a good client, pay my bills before I leave, pay attention when she says something, ask questions, and act very respectful. After a while, she finds out I am very capable of giving shots, doing surgical aftercare, giving the medicated baths at home, giving the IV bags, etc. BUT, you have to grow into that relationship. If you start out as a know-it-all, and try too quickly to impress them, that is going to turn them off.

Doing it the right way pays off in the long run, especially when you need that emergency treatment in the middle of the night.

Dreamer

19. farm curs

farm curs Big Dog

You don't just show up,pay some money and wa la you're in school.You have to make the cut.

20. sddog

sddog Pup

i go to school for something else. If i did attend medical school for animals it would not be to try and get certified. it would be to gain the knoledge to work on my dogs so i did not need a vet