1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

vets are a rip off

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by sddog, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Inter-tel

Inter-tel Big Dog

you are correct, and as RR said YOU have to hit the bricks and find a good vet. One that is reasonable and will ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS,all of them.
    My vet will take the time, even show me whats what, and at a reasonable price.

2. farm curs

farm curs Big Dog

There is alot some can do at home....Vaccs and preventiave meds are just the tip of the ice burg.I don't care how much one knows,a good vet is a must.

3. farm curs

farm curs Big Dog

I had a kitten catch FIP at the vets once,learned my lesson big time....never put down an animal in the vets office that is not fully vaccinated.Thank goodness for farm calls.

4. All about Pits

All about Pits Big Dog

LMFAO MICHELE got into the Fryin!!!!! I treated over milions of dogs of parvo even this little puppy he was about 7 weeks old so I am really experienced when it comes down to parvo and a couple others as well as those

5. Michele

Michele CH Dog Super Moderator

Come again?

Again, you may be experienced but there are alot of people out there that are not and those people come to the internet looking for cheap, easy fixes.

6. All about Pits

All about Pits Big Dog

What i meant by that was that Michele you are correct in my words and Im very much aware of that like a bunch of idiots online looking for a cheap shop

7. Michele

:D:D............

I just wish people with animals that have no idea how to treat certain ailments, would take the time and find a vet that will work with them. There are out there, you just have to look.

Some of the members on this board have been 'in the dogs' for a very long time and know exactly what they are doing.

Some, on the other hand, have no clue.

8. outrightmike

outrightmike CH Dog

my first porvo i went to the vet and was treated like crap and given bad advice i was told over the weekend not to give her water or food she died the second porvo i seeked advice and havent lost one yet. how else can someone learn if you dont ask questions.you should be asking even if your taking yor pet to a vet!

9. Michele

I agree, you should be asking, but don't make an internet suggestion the final word on treatment for your dog if you do not know what you are doing. Your dog could end up dead.

I'm sorry about the negative experience you had but not all vets are bad.

I can call my vet any time, for anything. She will answer questions over the phone. She also does not breed discriminate, which is extremely important to me.

10. simms

simms CH Dog

Do you understand why they said with hold food or water? Did you decline any part of the treatment plan? Parvo can be nasty and some times even with the best treatment and care dogs die from it.

An for those that were exposed coming into a practice, Yes that is a major problem in this industry. Wether it be by a an every day practice or an emergency or shelter.But that is part of the risks asociated with seeking medical attention in a hospital setting. (same things can be said for human medicine). There are certain things a client can do to help safe gaurd thier animals. You walk to eliminate prior to getting there. You don't put your animal on the ground. You request that they clean all surfaces prior to placeing your pet on an exam table. Make sure the ppl in attendace are washing thier hands prior to handling your animals.

Vaccinate your animals on the approriate schedues. The difference between a vaccine from the feed store or other source of supplier is that the vaccines that a DVM recieves from the manufactures come with a shipping and handling guarantee. If a DVM has an issue with vaccines or product from a direct source they can usualy seek componsation ..... where's joeq public can not. Take your chances.... I do, but I do so knowing and understanding the risks involved.

There is nothing wrong with asking for advice. but the average joe doesn't have the knowledge or the medications supply's to treat at home. A bottle of pedialite and some boiled chicken plus some prayers.....Well sometimes that is ones only means of care they can provide fore thier animal. Shit happens... but the odds are not in the efforts favor.

The DVM (practice) I work for employes 34 ppl. They are considered a small buisness. A small buisness that provides health insurance and other services for thier employees that helps them compete in this ever changing progressive field. To say that my knowledge or my coworkers is not worth that of a office call fee or at minumim a 10% mark up to help defrey the cost of the light bills and help make payroll.There is cleary much more that goes into running a practice and the overhead cost of it. It's not just about careing for animals but if you can't care for your employees you have no growth and are limmited to the medicine practiced. I love my job, I love what I do every day! But I have to pay my bills. An to my employer I'm a bill they need to pay!

11. outrightmike

outrightmike CH Dog

true just like i need advice on a hernia problem im asking cause i cant get to the vet till next week but im worried now and looking for a imfo till i get a final diagnoses.if it is i cant treat myself witch gos to show vets are vauable.

12. Michele

Feel free to get some advice from this site. Tell Tomcat I sent you:

http://forums.petdocsoncall.com/index.php

13. All about Pits

All about Pits Big Dog

I agree because all vets are not ''bad'' now the people might love to sterotype on vets and things like that but it isn't the most funniest of things to like you said if they took the time to look they would be ok and like you said before why in the world are people treating their animals certain aliments when they don't no jack about even giving a parvo shot to a dog let alone tring to be a doctor to it? That be the biggest question to and another thing is why are people whining and cring about this when all they can do is just find the vet thats right for you? it's like fidning your what you want it's not that hard

14. All about Pits

All about Pits Big Dog

It might be hard to some people though

15. All about Pits

All about Pits Big Dog

You can ask and let her soul R.I.P but you should've been more carful and known what type of vet you were up against question is what type of vet did you go to? Was he or she right for you? Did the fit the purpose that you wnated to succedd in your dogs health?

16. Jrouble

Jrouble Big Dog

Man there is some vet hate up in this thread, all I gotta say is... walk a mile in their shoes, then pass comment, otherwise your opinion is like an asshole, everyones got one and usually they stink.

17. All about Pits

All about Pits Big Dog

true that!!!!

18. outrightmike

outrightmike CH Dog

19. All about Pits

All about Pits Big Dog

oh....thats horrible

20. outrightmike

outrightmike CH Dog