1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

vets are a rip off

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by sddog, Nov 18, 2009.

1. simms

simms CH Dog

2. outrightmike

outrightmike CH Dog

they were shortly out of business thak good. but my opion all vets arent a rip off. you sound solid!

3. simms

simms CH Dog

I'm not a DVM, not near smart enough lol. I just work for them.

4. Cynthia

Cynthia Top Dog

I am so damn tired of hearing that Vet's are a rip off. Some are. But people will pay more on a car audio system and not bat an eye then spend on their animals. :rolleyes:

Do people actually realize what it takes to get onto Vet School? Not to mention the years of schooling. It is more competitive and harder to get into a Veterinary College than a Human Medical College.

Then after raking up years and upward of a hundred of thousand dollars in debt. To only graduate and start out making $30k-50k a year. Then to hear all the people bitch about properly taking care of their animals.

The key is finding a Vet that works with you and you can trust. When you go to a Vet's office you are paying for their knowledge. The knowledge that they paid for. So why give it away for free. And tired of people coming online asking for free advice. If you can not afford to properly take care of the animals you have guess what do not get them.

I have worked for the range of Vets. From the over chargers to the decent ones. And while yes there are some things that you can do at home. But you first have to have the knowledge to do so.

And yes there are MANY horror stories I deal with at work from owners trying to "home" treat there animal only for them to FINALLY bring the animal in when it is close to deaths door then expect for us to fix the damn thing. Well if you would have brought us the animal last week when it first got sick then we may have been able to actually do something.

And at home vaccines are fine. But there can be problems that arise because of improper storage.

5. sddog

sddog Pup

Sorry I dont pay for my car audio I hook it up myself. The same with my dogs i do it my self and i do go to a vets office when needed. To tell u the truth they are a rip off I do everything for my animals just as a vet would. exept in extreme circumstances. Yeah they dont make much, but they chose that field. Many Vets would rather see a dog die, if they dont see the money they want, and more vets than that would rather exagerrate the situation just to get more money out of a customer. And as for improper storage. keep it cold, vets dont do anything special but store it in a refigirator

6. farm curs

farm curs Big Dog

First you say they are a rip off
    Then you say they don't earn much but they chose that field
    Then you say they'd rather see a dog die if they don't see the money
    Which is it?Are they ripping you off and making loads of cash?Or are they not making much?Did they knowingly choose a field that dosen't profit much and still rather see a dog die if it's owner dosen't have the cabbage?
    You speak in circles:confused:

I'm wondering if your dogs are sick and your car audio sounds horrible;)

7. farm curs

farm curs Big Dog

And it wouldn't cost as much

8. sddog

sddog Pup

People are saying they dont make much. i dont know and i dont care

For the record they are a rip off

They Would rather see a dog die if they dont see the money they want to see.

Clear enough for u
    and my dogs and car audio im sure are better than yours

9. shadowwolf

shadowwolf Big Dog

Many vets choose the field because they love animals. She also said that *many* not ALL vets are money grubbers - in the field I work in, we use the phrase, "Pigs get fed, hogs get slaughtered", a vet shouldn't be greedy and SHOULD be out to help folks - my vet has cut a loss to help dogs who're suffering when people skipped on payments. Unfortunately, the this means that there's a few bad apples and it shouldn't spoil it for the rest of the vets who truly DO care about our animals and their well-being.

10. simms

simms CH Dog

well, I guess you get what you pay for then....

11. FrankDublin

FrankDublin CH Dog

you have to know when to take your dog to the vet

if your going because the dogs fart stinks then your getting ripped off
    but if its serious then go for it

12. Cynthia

Cynthia Top Dog

I agree Frank.

And Farm you are right it would not cost as much.

Like Shadow said there are a few that are greedy. And I have worked for some like that. But most are not that way. In the 7 years I have been a Veterinary Technician I have run across the spectrum.

I am sorry you feel that way. :rolleyes:

And well hmm considering you are buying your vaccines from a feed store/online? Well that is one more person handling the vaccines. Manufacturer-distributor-store-min wage employee. HMMM that is alot of changing hands and all it takes is one.

But your dogs your risk.

13. farm curs

farm curs Big Dog

Crystal...

Do you know any vets on a personal level?If you had more knowledge on the subject you may gain a better understanding of the situation.Your vet may very well be a rip off.As I see it the problem lies with you...when you point a finger be aware there is always 3 pointing back at you;)

I'm sure your audio is better than mine...my boom box has hit the floor board more than once;) As far as dogs go...

Take the advice given,find a good vet and make nice.What is so hard about that?Are your dogs not worth the effort?I know mine are

14. LilBoogieMan

LilBoogieMan Big Dog

I agree too. And I'm all for doing as much as you can at home for basic things, because vets can cost you out the butt.

But some things you should not play around with. You gotta know when to get that animal in to the vet.

15. LilBoogieMan

LilBoogieMan Big Dog

Maybe they just didn't know what porvo was? :p

16. LilBoogieMan

LilBoogieMan Big Dog

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2009
  17. Greg

Greg Pup

My vet's hot!!! I'll pay her whatever she wants! :D

18. magnoilaotis

magnoilaotis Top Dog

The only thing vets have on exprienced dogmen is access to medicine
    and the law to ply their trade. If u don't know by all means go
    to a vet; but a little knowledge can save alot of money. Compare the price of ivmec to
    the vets heartworm pills.

19. Blau

Blau Big Dog

If you ask me, this is just what our breed doesn't need... More 'home medical jobs' with people that have never stepped foot in a veterinary class of any sort. Sure, deworming from home and even giving vaccinations might be fine if you know what you're doing, but when it comes to life or death, I don't see how you can ever call yourself a responsible dog owner by saying "Well, my dog's dying, but he'll shake it off! I'm saving money from those money hungry vets! Even though they studied for years on how to save a dog's life!"

20. I have to agree whit S/D, vets are a rip off for THE MOST part. They do come in handy when you need something like a major surgery, but other than that, anyone can research how to treat the minor things.

JMTC