1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Victor recalls all formulas due to salmonella

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Casperworldpeace, Nov 11, 2023.

1. FrozenEli

FrozenEli Top Dog

I've said for years that food is shit.

Casperworldpeace and bamaman like this.
  2. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

I fed it for a period but seemed like quality just kept going down hill . You can find it now in the big box stores and back in the day only the mom and pop stores had it

FrozenEli and Casperworldpeace like this.
  3. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

Funny how a dog food can deliver salmonella, but a dog can eat the ass out of dead skunk without as much as a hiccup.

I have two shit eaters in the back yard and for whatever reason if I feed them dry food one dog leaves his bowl and goes to the other's bowl which leads to a big scrap. I don't take the time to separate them to feed them, so I buy chicken backs by the case.

I walk out on the back deck and flip them two-three-four backs a piece.

One, neither have ever had any sort of sickness due to raw food/salmonella. (mostly because you simply can't kill a mixed breed dog)

Two, they eat right beside one another with zero issues.

It is the unanswerable questions why I hate dogs but can't never seem to get away from them. LOL

S

Michele, Casperworldpeace and david63 like this.
  4. The company got sold in 2020 first recalls started happening not longer after, I switched my dogs to the Costco Kirkland over the weekend stuff which is made by diamond so far so good

5. slim12

It happens. Cost savings factor into every business decision.

I have fed a bunch of different hunting dog formulas over the years and if you pay attention you can notice subtle changes in the foods from time to time.

I am sure there are mixers that help homogenize the dog food from bag to bag but even with that I opened two bags at the same time from the same pallet and they are different. One a little less oily, the other a bit more dry. (homogenize is a big word like 'mayonnaise')

Sometimes that is the company choosing a cheaper ingredient or finding a way to cut cycle times to get more product out the door at the same costs. Profit.

Sometimes it is the bag made on Friday afternoon while looking forward to a big weekend or even the Monday morning bag made after a hard weekend. Remember it is people involved.

I feed mostly raw now but use dry food on occasion. The only consistency I have ever seen in any of the bag foods is their ever increasing prices.

I hate it for any one who had sick dogs or lost dogs due to the issues with this particular dog food.

S

Casperworldpeace likes this.
  6. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

I been through so many feeds in the last 25+ years it's ridiculous. Most all of them come under a recall or change the formula in some way at some point that makes 1 or more of the dogs shit liquid for a week or so. I done fed so called "high end holistic" feeds all the way down to gravy train in a pinch. For the last 4 months I got sick of:

1. Paying a ridiculous price for kibble and
    2 constantly having to switch because of one of the already mentioned reasons.
    3 having to drive to very specific places to purchase these odd ball brands.

I Started feeding plain ol Purina Dog Chow. While most will say it's garbage it's been around for something like 96 years and never has recalls so I said F it and started paying 26$ for 50lb bags instead of 30lbs for double the price. Their shit is normal looking, dogs don't look or act no different than when they were on TOTW or Blue Buffalo so fuck paying double or more for half the volume of some shit that will be recalled every few months.

7. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

I been feeding Walmarts Pure Balance and it’s been great so far . Walmart actually owns it and I’m doing chicken and brown rice and it’s been great

Casperworldpeace, slim12 and AGK like this.
  8. slim12

I feed mostly raw now but I do use Value Pack one or two times a week. But with that said, my raw is no where near a balanced meal. I buy 40lbs of chicken backs for 28/case. That is the staple of their food.

If the chicken backs do not come in I drop back to the Value Pack.

Ditto on AGK comment that on most changes it goes unnoticed on the dogs but there will always be one that can shit thru screen wire after the change.

Been there. Done that.

S

9. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

To me all kibble is the same other than a few tweaks and cleaver marketing. End of the day all they really need is fat & protein. Anything else is just fine tuning to there activities.

Casperworldpeace, AGK and Staff0rd like this.
  10. tomjones2

tomjones2 Big Dog

This is what I’ve been feeding for the last 6 years. No complaints

11. slim12

Yep. They only need fat and protein. So if a bag is 21/12 or 24/20 or 26/18 more than half the bag is just fillers.

Fillers are the big turd makers.

I have yet to see a bag food that is better than a solid raw diet but at the same time there is no solid raw food plan that is more convenient than bag food.

I'm the guy floating in the middle who knows better but goes with what works best at my house.

S