1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

vitamins and supplements!

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Buck E. Owens, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

just thought might as well do a thread on vitamins and supplements!

which ones work for your animals, which ones you prefer, and other methods to make your own mix.

http://www.an-nat.com/animalnaturals_superfuel.html k9superfuel

http://k9performance.com/ Vertex

http://www.getcni.com/ CNI

(brought over from the steroids makes champion thread)

2. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

i keep my supplements individual dog related.

my old timers has a bit of dry skin, so he gets a vitamin E geltab (500mg) and a Fish Oil geltab (1000mg)
    Dimitri had a hyper sensitive stomach, so he used to get a teaspoon of enzyme and probiotic (powder)
    i have also used the Nupro powder for years (w/what i think, great results) i use about 1/2 what they reccomend

and for those of you up in new england- a couple tablespoons of good ol' Stoneyfield Yogurt ontop of the food ( its all natural and has the good acidiophilusy kinda stuff... good bacteria)

3. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

Which vitamins and supplement's to you deem valuable in the dogs yard. which does the average bag of food lack.

Which ones would you use on you dog before a hunt, or agility course show.

Any if you gave too much would it give your dog the sh!ts? or just be expelled without the problem of dehydration.

4. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

yogurt i hear a lot, but to find all natural and not polluted with simulated flavor/preservatives is hard to come by!!!

eggs are good for dry skin to, gets rid of dandruff and flaky skin doesn't it!
    tattoo vitamin E &A, rub helps too (externally use only tho)

5. PADogman

PADogman Top Dog

Kefir is better then Yogurt...It has more benifical enzymes and probiotics in it that yogurt doesnt. And both Kefir and Yogurt are rather easy to make at home with out all the preservatives and added junk that store bought yogurt has in it.

6. BostonBully

BostonBully Top Dog

Lol funny that you say that because my dog gets that and some Omega oils, a tbls of olive oil, an egg and a herbal supplement I get from an herbalist.

I also give a vitamin C cap because although they produce their own Vit C I read a little extra helps.

7. WWII

WWII Banned

Pet vitamin
    creatine
    glutamine (if I have it)
    fish oil
    protein powder (sparingly)

Each serves their own purpose.

8. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

if you have a good yogurt recipe I'm all ears!;)

9. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

Is the protein powder the same as human grade stuff? and do you avoid the soy stuff or doesn't matter?

10. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

would a multivitamin for adult males help dogs or does it have to be crushed , or a different dog style multivitamin for dogs better? a vitamins a vitamin i figure!

I just thought that dogs digest only like 40% of what they eat so i figured crushed would do the best instead of passing right threw them!:confused:

11. WWII

WWII Banned

Just the cheapest plain or vanilla flavored protein powder I can get. I use whey, but I suppose you could use casein. I tend to use it after a workout and whey is a faster digesting protein than casein. Although, I'd be inclined to feed my dog some casein in the morning if they ate 2x/day. As it is, mine only eat once.

I don't know much about soy protein. I've never looked into, really. I would assume you could use it, though.

12. WWII

WWII Banned

Humans and dogs need different amounts of vitamins and a pet tab is formulated correctly, or should be formulated correctly anyway, for a dog's needs. I just toss mine into the feed whole. They'll get what they need and urinate the excess.

13. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

i think i found some brains to pick, thanks WWII,PA Dogman,Boston Bully;)

14. WWII

WWII Banned

Parlez-vous francais?

15. BostonBully

BostonBully Top Dog

I asked that same question to a girl (my waitress) in canada and she got pissed at me. She was like no do you speak french. I said no and that I thought people in canada spoke french. She then educated me on how only people in quebec speak french.
    She must get it alot.

16. Bxpits

Bxpits CH Dog

we use superfuel and it works wonders! of course just like any supplement weather for human or dog you have to work hard to get the most out of them.

17. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

nope no french here just Quebec ! :D

18. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

there is french then there is Quebec french-"slang french":rolleyes:

19. WWII

WWII Banned

I thought I'd ask since he is from Canada and his english is off just a tad.

But yeah, I often wonder when I meet someone from Canada if they know French. lol....

http://vodpod.com/watch/693720-follow-the-only-road-in-canada-clips-south-park-studios

20. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned