1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

weight in back pack

Discussion in 'Training & Behavior' started by roscoe09, Jan 27, 2010.

1. roscoe09

roscoe09 Pup

i have a 7month old, and he started running with me, i bought him a back pack and placed 4 unopen soup cans, 2 on each side to distribute the weight evenly. Is this good for starting him out on, i want him to get worthy exercise. or will this damage his joints and bones? thanks

2. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

id wait on any exercise like that. hes still way too young

3. briarpatch

briarpatch Banned

yeah i wouldnt put weight on a pup that age..he doesnt need any weight work till at least 14 months..JMO

4. KBK

KBK Big Dog

Let the pup be a pup first, plenty of time to work the dog when its older

5. roscoe09

roscoe09 Pup

thanks for the input i will just let him wear the back pack to get use to it..

6. briarpatch

briarpatch Banned

thats a plan.

7. chessfighter

chessfighter Big Dog

Let him wear the backpack to get use to it, but I wouldn't do any major exercises until 1.5 year or so.

8. roscoe09

roscoe09 Pup

what do you all consider major exercise, right now i just have him run with me which really is a fast walk for him i don't have a fast pace..

9. chessfighter

chessfighter Big Dog

Treadmills, spring poles, weight pulling are what I would consider major for a puppy. I think flirt poles aren't that bad for pups if used right, but folks on this forum would have way more info and experience than I would on the subject. Believe me you're in good hands here.

10. budboy88

budboy88 CH Dog

right now thats about all he needs, maybe throw a little flirt pole in it but keep it on the ground for right now

11. dunga

dunga Big Dog

what about when wieght pulling . i seen som articles saying start your pup at 6 7 months old with light weight is that wrong i belive theres a thread on that here .

12. budboy88

budboy88 CH Dog

i wouldnt let a dog under 15 or so months pull anything but thats just me

13. junkyard

junkyard CH Dog

leave him till hes mature on the pulling , that could be anywhere between a year and a half and two years.
    ive seen a killer dog ruined from pulling too early, had joint issues from the age of one because the dickhead owner wouldnt listen and kept working it from six months.

real quick way to stuff a real promising pup up.

14. roscoe09

roscoe09 Pup

thanks for the input.. that is why i come to this website. because i know everybody here can teach me how to train, enjoy a well rounded pitbull.

15. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

one thing ive never been afraid to do with a young pup was swimming. low impact, but even then id take it easy. all my dogs have loved it as adults cuz i got em started early