1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Weight of my 12 week old??

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Deva'sMom, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Deva'sMom

Deva'sMom Pup

I have a 12 week old female that weighs 22 lbs. She did have tapeworm and roundworms but has since been de-wormed. Does this seem like a good weight? I free feed her Iam's Smart Puppy Large Breed for now. Also can anyone recommend a vitamin for her dry skin, she itches like crazy and she does not have fleas (on Advantage). Thank so much for any help!
    :D

2. devinben3

devinben3 CH Dog

has she ever been on any different food? her food may be causing her dry itchy skin, maybe try switching over slowly to a new food, try canidae, pricely, but well worth it! as far as weight goes, do you have any pics of her? puppies should be nice and fat and healthy.

3. Deva'sMom

Deva'sMom Pup

Thanks for the advice! I will try that! I have to put my pics up soon. She is round and healthy, ribs don't show, and she has gained 14 pounds since I had her. Her mom is a red nose and weighs 70 pounds, dad is a Kingfish and weighs 95-100 pounds.Thanks Again!

4. 22 lbs at 12 weeks is big..

5. Deva'sMom

Deva'sMom Pup

Well then I guess I'm doing pretty good! Even those pesky worms didn't keep her down!

6. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Yes, you are going to have a huge dog on your hands. But since you got a dog out of huge parents I'm sure you were expecting this. If the parents were purebred chances are they were fat as a hog to weigh that much. Down the road this will cause so many health problems, and I suggest you dont buy into the "bigger is better" philosophy. You want the dog to be nice and fat up until around 10-12 months when you start to cut back on the food and start working the dog (jogging, sprints, weightpull, etc) daily to keep him fit. Fat dogs are unhealthy dogs and fit dogs are happy dogs. Only seems reasonable which route to follow.

As for the dry skin, I also recommend you switch off of Iams. They are working hand in hand with PETA for one to eliminate your type of dog. The main reason to stay away from Iams if that doesnt bother you is the food is junk, its overpriced and it only sells because they market it as a premium dog food. I recommend a no-filler food such as Canidae or Chicken Soup. Run a search for dog food and read some of the threads, they are loaded with great info on good dog foods and most importantly, what makes them good so you can decide for yourself. Dont be shocked by the price, as you will actually feed alot less of this food as its all things your dog can use without corn and other field filler that is packed in the bags to save their profit margin. It will equal out in the end, you will be buying food much less frequently, and its healthy. No matter what it is you choose, stop feeding "Large Breed" foods as they may cause health problems down the road also, APBT's are not supposed to be a large breed. And you will find differing opinions on this but most agree theres no need to feed puppy food. The pups do just as well if not better on adult food.

Most importantly though...Welcome to the forum! For every question you have this site will have the answers to it, or can find the answer for you. The best way to find info is still by running a forum search but if you cant find the info your looking for, start a new thread or ask advice from a member or staff. Hope you enjoy your stay here.

7. Brothermarree

Brothermarree Top Dog

Yeah that King fish blood can throw some big ones but never seen a red kingfish.
    I'de like to see pics aand ped.
    Hope you girl's sking is ok. Try iodine spray from the feed store. that might help.

8. thedude04

thedude04 Top Dog

my puppy was about the same wieght and his been gaining about 10 puonds a mouth his for 4 mouths scinec the 26th and his 41 pound

9. Miss Conduct

Miss Conduct CH Dog

WOW 22 pounds at 11 weeks..... holy $hit lol, my new female is 18 pounds chubby for winter and shes 6 months!

10. WWII

WWII Banned

Yeah, mine's about 15lbs at ~13 weeks. But the dam was also 40 lbs fat. The 22lber is gonna be a big dog. If it turns out to be game, have fun controlling that.

11. Deva'sMom

Deva'sMom Pup

Well everyone thank you for the replies! I just bought a 50 pound bag of the Iams food so I will finish that and then switch to Canidae slowly. Her parents were VERY fit and still that big, She and I still visit to say hi! When I finally get a good pic I will post it. She is chocolate brown with a small white stripe down her nose and two big white diamonds on her chest! She is absolutley beautiful! This is my first pit and it won't be my last, I love em'....

12. Deva'sMom

Deva'sMom Pup

thanks I'll need it!! yours is soooo cute too...

13. devinben3

devinben3 CH Dog

good luck w/her...she's gonna be a big one! my pups almost 5 mths and he's 17 lbs fat and happy...lol..

14. Pitbullgirl

Pitbullgirl Big Dog

Wow, my boy is 8.5 months old and is 41 lbs... but the vet says he's only going to be about 60-65 lbs full grown.

15. How much $$$ is Canidae??? Its not here in Japan, but I'd like to try it out when I get back to the 'States in May.

16. For THAT bloodline, should be growing at about 8-10 pounds per month. Get her to about 10 months old, cut the food damn near in half, and start RUNNING HER. That doesn't mean let her be fat and lazy until then. Get her used to unsing those lungs and legs...or she wont be willing to do it later. Since you dont have a game-bred dog, she's not guaranteed to be WILLIING/WANTING to work out and exercise...you'll probably have to train it into her...make it fun for her. When it comes time...dont run her until she has nothing left.....leave her wanting more. Good luck with the pup...and please dont fall for the "bully" craze. Nothing wrong with a large house pet...but that's not what these dogs...true APBT's are meant to be (large) - APBT's make GREAT companions...

17. Deva'sMom

Deva'sMom Pup

I could care less how big she gets, I just want her healthy! She comes from big parents so i knew she would be large. When I had her at the vet when she was 6 weeks old the vet told me she was underweight so I just wanted some opinions on how much she should be weighing? I've never owed a pit and was just curious what the growth rate was. Thanks so much for the info it was really helpful!

18. You could try supplimenting oils into her diet for dry skin. Veggie oil, kelp, cod liver oil, stuff like that. That's if its not just due to poor quality food. Also, try an oatmeal-based shampoo.

19. B

B CH Dog

They sell Fish-Oil caps and they work wonders on dogs with skin issues. I bought two huge bottles for cheap. I give two caps with feed once a day.

Regards,

B

20. Deva'sMom

Deva'sMom Pup

i just looked on the canidie website and for a 40 lb bag its 33.00, not too bad considering I pay 27.00 for the iams