1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

What age did your pitt turn.

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by dog-man, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Miss Conduct

Miss Conduct CH Dog

An 8 MONTH old pup taking out an 80 pounder????

2. Miss Conduct

Miss Conduct CH Dog

I think w/alot of Carver dogs (alteast ones ive seen) tend to turn on a little later in life. Have one that decided at around 8 months he didnt like other dogs, others that loved everything til about 2 then hated everything but pups, all the way out to my ofrn male that didnt like other dogs from around 2 (but would tolerate some) but then around 5 decided everything must die lol.

I think some lines tend to be certain ways, but not always. Just because its a Carver dog doesnt mean hes gonna wait 4 years to turn on, and just because its a Red Boy dog doesnt mean its gonna be dumb lol ;)

3. mydawgs

mydawgs CH Dog

My Am Staff was like a light switch...18 months, she will fly into anything with fur..and likes it.

My male (Mountain Man/St Bennidicts cross) I don't think has ever "turned on". He is 11 years old and has been attacked by several dogs, including 120 lb Akita (Buddy ranges from 43 - 45 lbs). At the time of this encounter he was coming off of a keep and was around 39 lbs. He wrestled with this dog for awhile and then it was like he said...OK I'm bored with you and TORE him up. After the scuffle he was as calm as he was before...he didn't start it but he sure finished it.

For some reason it takes definitive action to get him to "turn on", but then he is a tazmanian devil..so I guess it is just as well. Anyone else have a dog like this?

He is the perfect Pet Bull, confident, tolerant and well mannered...I love my BOY!!!!!

4. Chef-Kergin

Chef-Kergin Guest

We have a little red brindle/red nose pup that's a little over 2 months old. Since we've had her, she has done nothing but play and romp with our 5 yr old JRT. Surprisngly, he hasn't nipped her yet. She wags her tail, shakes her ass, and plays with him all hours of day and night like there's no tomorrow. The eat together, drink out of the same water bowl, and she cries if she can't sleep with him because he's jumped up on the couch when he naps.

Last week while we introduced her to my uncles two APBts (when she turned 8 wks old), she was completely fine with Taz, his 3 yr old male, but she went off the hook when she met his 2 yr old female Lexi inside the house. I haven't ever seen a puppy so crazed. She latched onto the right side of her face and wouldn't let go, shaking all the way. Well, she did loose her grip as soon as Lexi shook her off of her cheek. I tried to avvert her attention, to no avail. So we took them outside and put her in the left half of the yard (He has a 6 foot chain link fence separating the two halves of his 2 acre lot) with Taz, and she was still fine. But as soon as she saw Lexi on the other side of the fence, it was on like donkey kong. Don't know what set her off about her, but I'll just have to keep a closer watch on her when she's out on her leash since we just started walking her about the same time.

5. Sid Finster

Sid Finster Big Dog

Redhead is pushing 18 months, loves everyone so far. His mother is five or six now, same way, unless you are a GSD. One attacked her when she was small and she has apparently not fogotten this.

I hope Redhead stays this way, but I don't give him the opportunity to screw up, either.

Some say that there are advantages to a DA dog. The dog is what it is, the responsible owner can predict the dog's behavior it and keep it away from other dogs. No worry about "OMG little Fluffi never did anything like that before!" when it eats some off-leash Bichon Frise.

On the other hand, could a similar argument be made for a HA dog? After all, HA dogs are predictable as well.

6. earliest for me was 4 months,and the latest for me was right around 3 years old.

DryCreek likes this.
  7. So wait, if a dog is shy and scared of certain dogs before it turns on at say 2 or 3, it's a cur? What if it hasn't had a chance to mature yet? What if after it turns on, it's no longer afraid of that dog?

It's a little early to call a dog cur isn't it?

8. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

I was trying to stay out of this thread, it is horrible from a P.R. stand-point, and you know the wrong people are reading this as "proof", and will think what they may. However, of course, they'd leave out the fact we're talking about DOG aggression, and not human aggression,and that it is expected in this breed for the majority of specimins to be DA, and not a suprise in the least. No ticking time bombs here!

I like that you thought a bit deeper about the question, and posed an intelligent response and question, which intrests myself, and no doubt other members.

I can see what your saying about knowing your dog will be DA has its benefits, and I agree. If everyone who bought or acquired this breed knew the history behind them, and standards set forth for breeding, there would be no "suprises", and no "accidents".

As for human-aggression, that is also true. However, its not a common trait in APBT's, and when it is found, its almost always traced back to other factors around the dogs upbringing, and not its breeding, or breed. I generally dont discuss HA dogs, because a truely HA is fairly rare in this breed, and occurs in much lower numbers because of the breeding standards set-forth by old-time dogmen, as well as culling. Of course, alot of those things are going out the window with the wrong people buying these dogs for the wrong reasons, and completely changing a sound foundation to make their penis feel bigger with a dog that snarls at people and they can tell their homeboys "its a pitt!".

Back to the topic though, I guess you COULD say the same thing about HA dogs. BUT Human-aggression puts people at risk of being injured, dog-aggression doesnt, except in the case of handler error. When others are at risk of injury, is a scenario that is not tolerated by me. What good is a human-aggressive dog? A dog you can't spend time with, establish the centuries old man/canine relationship bond with. A canine which will not tolerate humans, puts it more closely to the wolf, than a domesticated animal to me. I dont agree with keeping wolves, or wild animals in captivity. Of course, a canine has no fear of humans, and is even more of a threat to citizens then a roaming wolf which will just assume run away. For this reason, a human-aggressive canine is not suitable to be kept, and gets shot, round here.

Pitbull0555-a dog must be mentally mature before you can label it a "cur". However, being aggressive, and being game are two totally diffrent things, and because a mature bulldog wants to fight another dog, doesnt make it game.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2006
  9. mydawgs

mydawgs CH Dog

14 -

As animal aggression is one trait of the Pit Bull, so is human passiveness. Both traits are exploited for the purpose of working the dog. What good is a chase dog if it won't chase the prey....like a very large hog.

There are dogs that have HA bred into them for the purpose of their work, like K9s. The ability of these dogs to be trained and controlled is also a trait for them. I would agree that HA puts folks at risk, but in the case of a K9 it is supposed to. You are not referring to these kinds of dogs are you?

Just wondering

10. Cool, that's what I thought. So purple pig saying that a dog who backs down from a larger dog is a cur is a bit early since it sounds like the dog is still a pup? Thanks for all the info, informative thread.

11. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

You missed what I was saying. I said that if a dog is aggressive towards one his size, but backs down from another that is larger, that is definately signs that the dog is not game. That is what I said. Think of it like a bully in highschool. They picked on those they thought they could whip, but someone badder comes along, or one that'll give em a fight, and they back down, and tuck tail. A game dog doesnt care what size the dog is, nor does it care if it is losing, it always thinks it is bigger, badder and winning.

What I responded to was a post that said the dog acts aggressive to another dog it's size, and cowers to a larger dog. That, IMO, has nothing to do with DA, but to the heart of the dog. If the dog had not turned, it would play with the dogs it's size, and not try to fight them. Understand? I am not trying to offend anyone, it it was one of my dogs, and I have had many like this, that responded in this manner, I would call it the same; and they were culled.

IF IT COWERS, IT IS CURR! That DOES NOT mean it will not make a fine pet!! I am sure your dog is a fine dog,

Once again, I was responding to what was posted above my other post, just because a dog hasnt turned on at 8 years of age doesnt make it curr, it is cold! That does not mean it wont turn hot, but a dog that cowers at size and doesnt at one it's own or smaller is CURR! IMO

12. tomoe

tomoe Pup

Purple pig was responding to my post and I'm definitely not offended! I wasn't very clear in my post either, so I understand the confusion. My bitch doesn't back down from larger dogs, hell it goes nuts after larger dogs that give it eye contact or challenges it. Plays fine with some submissive dogs as well. It's just this one dog, this one mayday bitch that she grew up with.

In addition, she's still really young and gets more fiery every week it seems. I think she has time to turn out since she's well under age. Sorry to hijack the thread, please let me know if you want me to move this to private convo. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2006
  13. Sid Finster

Sid Finster Big Dog

Thank you for the compliments.

I wasn't just thinking of APBTs so much as dog aggression and human aggression in general. If a DA dog is more predictable, and therefore safer, according to the same logic, why isn't a HA dog predictable and therefore "safe"?

Obviously with the rash of dog attacks lately (and not just APBTs), there have been a lot of "surprises" and "accidents". Or have there? Maybe if people were a little more clueful and read the warning signs, a lot of attacks (dog or human) could be prevented.

Just thinking out loud, as usual.

14. diggit

diggit Banned

yes i had an person that was not too exsperianced watching the dogs while i went to go get dog food... i come back and i was not impressed with what i saw i got there just in the nic of time if i didnt he wouldnt be around today. the guy had left for a "minute" to go chat with his buddy :mad:. after a huge vet bill no more big dogs for me.!!

i didnt exspect the 8 month old to do such a thing but thats why i warn people because i dont want it happening to other people.... and from now one the dogs are in kennels so they cant excape and i wont underestimate even with the pups.

you live you learn.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2006
  15. cheekymunkee

cheekymunkee Top Dog

Mine too, at the drop of a hat, one day cold the next hot. The ages have varied as has the level of DA. Munkee is my most DA dog & he turned at about 3. The others have had different levels of DA & if I rememember became so at around 2-3.

16. Attila

Attila Guest

Turned on. Yes well It can be from birth it seems with NightShade or never as in some cases, NightShade would bite her siblings while nursing and ment that shit. She has not changed but gotten more so. I can't even get a male near her to breed her. Baby at 15months, Gretchen a 11 months (Gretchen and Nightshade are litter mates), SunShine two years, Count well he digs females and puppies it seams but he doesn't dig other males so I am not sure when that happened. The rest differnt times. Never had one that didn't before two or there abouts. It is best not to worry about it as it will come in due time. And if it doesn't you have a good pet.

17. DryCreek

DryCreek CH Dog

Youngest....had to help a friend after his 2 bellymate pups, male and female, decided to try to kill each other over a bowl of dog food at 12 weeks. Those puppy teeth are nasty. Lonzo/Clouse

Oldest....4.5 years. Macho Buck/Red Boy

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2006
  18. 2gk

2gk Pup

Well this happened to a freinfd of mine he has three pits and he always thinks they can play with his freinds pits because they are related, I garaunteed him eventually something would happen he didn't wanna listena month later he calls me his male took a very bad beating from his freinds male. Of course I tell him I told you so. Anyway a couple weeks later I go over there and all his dogs are loose no chain no fence (he lives on over 200 acres. I tell him eventually the dogs gonna wonder further and further away and you are gonna have a serious problem. He didn't listen two nights ago I get a call his female got into it really bad with her mother. Long story short I don't think its wise to expect your dog to never turn and be prepared when it does.

19. missybee16

missybee16 CH Dog

Mine started at 4mos. Broke her of it quick. She's trained well now.

20. Miss Conduct

Miss Conduct CH Dog

I wouldnt stand by that, better safe than sorry. IMO