1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

What makes you decide to cull a pup, and when?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by cliffdog, May 24, 2011.

1. cliffdog

cliffdog Top Dog

Simple question, maybe even a dumb one. But just curious. (Not a breeder, never been, never gonna be.)

2. JTC

JTC Big Dog

why would one cull a pup?

3. ccourtcleve

ccourtcleve Big Dog

health issues?

4. cliffdog

cliffdog Top Dog

Health issues, conformation faults, etc... I believe most good breeders cull, nobody has 100% great pups every litter.

I was really wondering more WHEN because obviously you can't tell much for the first few weeks...

5. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

The only time I would cull a pup is if it had a birth defect that would severely hinder its quality of life. Other than that I don't see any reason to cull a pup.

crook60 likes this.
  6. cliffdog

cliffdog Top Dog

What would you do with pups not worthy of feeding (couldn't work/show/whatever)? Pet home?

7. letsmakestuffup

letsmakestuffup Big Dog

Why would a pup that is healthy not be worthy of feeding? Its just a pup! It needs time to physically and mentally mature before you can evaluate it on any real level.

8. 6sN7s

6sN7s Top Dog

i would cull a few pups so that it wont come into the hands of people u dont know

9. dutchy954

dutchy954 Big Dog

You never know what a dog is going to be until it full grown, but I imagine after years of breeding you would have some idea. But still, the idea of killing a puppy because it looks a little long in the loin is disgusting. Health defects, yes, thats agreeable. My idea of "culling" would be to give dog away with no papers to a pet home and have them fix the dog, or have the dog fixed yourself.

10. jacko

jacko CH Dog

in all breeds of working gog you get late developers more so in the sporting dog .the guys that do this properly devote more than enough time money and effort into their dogs ,when to cull is a decision based on your experience with your dogs ,and can you afford to and have you the space time and inclination to keep said dogs ? life gets in the way of peoples dreams sometimes and surcumstances dictate wether dogs should be culled .

11. AGK

The only way you'll know if a pup is gonna work is to let it reach adulthood. I don't know about the show folks, we worry more about functionality then appearance.

crook60 likes this.
  12. ElJay

ElJay CH Dog

other than obvious birth defects, severe temperament/developmental problems, or genetic issues that become apparent as they grow, i don't think you can get a full idea of how a dog is going to turn out until adulthood. they go through so many changes as puppies, there's not a good way to predict how they will be in the future. after waiting till adulthood, and you still decide to cull, either do it by finding a good pet home (placing with no papers and no reproductive organs) or if a good home cannot be found then humanely PTS.

and if you don't have the heart or desire to cull anything for any reason, then IMO, you shouldn't be breeding.

13. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

this or if theres too big of a litter. i have no problem culling a few to make it easier on the mama

14. AGK

True but I personally wouldn't cull with in a litter due to size. Better to hand raise them for a couple weeks ( I wouldn't want to think I may have just culled the best one in the litter, I'd always be wondering) But others would. All depends on what your willing to do.

15. jacko

jacko CH Dog

pups pups ,pups pups pups ! whould hav"em ? ME !

16. cliffdog

cliffdog Top Dog

Thanks for the informative posts. I agree litter size seems like a good reason to cull, not everybody has the time to handraise pups, but you make a good point too AGK (always be wondering if you culled your best pup).

17. chaser71

chaser71 Banned

Cull pups for health reasons only JMO,Adults for temperment never for their looks.Just cause you don't like the looks somebody else me love that dog and do good by it!

18. DirtyD

DirtyD Top Dog

I know of a breeder that culled a whole litter because his bitch was stolen then returned pregnant.

19. cliffdog

cliffdog Top Dog

Seems like a good reason to cull a litter to me, no need for more mutts in the world...

20. DirtyD

DirtyD Top Dog

thats what he figured, also he didnt know the other dog or the temperament and he didnt want home this mutt and have it bite somebody