1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

What's your opinion about nuttering ?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by koening, Mar 9, 2007.

1. koening

koening Top Dog

i just whant to know how you feel about nuttering your dog. does it affect his character in a major way ? i know that they stop beeing so protective and territorial . so i hope you can give me more info . would you nutter your dogs ?

2. Suki

Suki Guest

Definitly, if you are not going to breed your dog, then imo, neutering is a VERY wise decision. An unaltered dog will have a greater tendency to fight, roam, and act aggressively, due to its desire to want to mate. Neutering a dog will help to free him of these natural tendencies, resulting, imo, in a dog that's calmer, and is easier and better apt to get along with other anaimals as well.

and no, neutering a dog will not make them lazy, fat, or even more apt to gain weight. keep up with a good exercise regiment and decent kibble, and you're good to go! :)

not to mention, it will help, in the long run, by not adding any more unnecessary puppies into the world, and has health benefits.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2007
  3. LegendsMami

LegendsMami Top Dog

Would I neuter my dog?

No Legend is not nuetered. And I will not neuter him. No I don't plan to breed him and there will not be any "accidental" breedings. I take the necessary precautions to make sure he does not get out of the yard. Growing up my dad had up to 5 APBTs housed inside w/ no "accidental" breedings. All but 2 were bred(together, planned) one time and it was a private breeding.
    I think not neutering is a personal choice...BUT only if your up for the added precautions! Neutering does reduce the chances of aggression some and marking and humping...But there's some nuetered dogs that do those things much more then a non-neutered dog.
    When I had Gemyni I absolutely made her appointment to be spayed. But since I rehomed her(for a home better suited for her) all her new owners have to do is take her to the appt. Everything's already paid for. They also have a non-neutered male and were happy Gem already has an appointment to be spayed!

4. Wayne

Wayne Big Dog

I do not like the idea of nuttering.I believe people need to be more responsible for there pets.Nuttering is a form of tourcher to me because some people do not know how cut there dogs food so the dog ends up looking like a coffee table.

5. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

Neutering shouldn't affect a dog's temperament if he is already mature. It may not even affect his sex drive; I've seen neutered males in mating ties with females. I think if somebody isn't going to breed their dog, the easiest course might be to neuter. That said, I lived with an adult male that never got neutered. If you are good at keeping your dog contained and under control, there's no reason he can't keep his equipment. They can be a total pain in the rear when there are sexy girls nearby, but if you want to live with that, its your prerogative. LOL.

6. CrazyK9

CrazyK9 Top Dog

With male dogs it isn't as much of an issue IMO, but if you have a female that you don't plan to breed, I would suggest getting her spayed. If the average person asked about neutering/spaying their dog, I would say, without a doubt, do it! Most people are too irresponsible to prevent any accidental breedings.

Bottom line is if you can't be 100% responsible for your dogs, then get them altered. If you can handle keeping your dogs from reproducing, then go ahead and leave them intact if you want.

7. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

Too bad you weren't here when my husband & I saw Wrigley going to town on Miakoda. Thank God he's neutered as I wouldn't have known what to do with the ugly mutts that would've been produced from that (Shar Pei/Cane Corso/APBT..........UGH!).

However, we laughed at the whole thing until we were blue in the face. :D

Also, having to have had the pleasure of removing a uterus at least 10 times the normal size, cutting it open, & seeing the green pus go everywhere & watch the bitch die anyway, I will always spay a female that is not breedworthy or breedable. As for the males, my neighbor's 4 year Beagle has testicular cancer & it has spread into his colon. Kinda sucks as a $50 neuter would've prevented it. Testicluar cancer exists & prostate problems have become very common.

I have absolutely NO problem about spaying & neutering dogs that a) are mutts & b) are not breedworthy. To me, it's not about responsibility, it's about their health.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2007
  8. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

LOL! I've heard other people say that their neutered males have a hell of a good time when there are girls in heat around. I remember the first time I saw that crap, I didn't think it was funny. It was with my neighbors' toy poodles that were always getting out and were generally nasty little dogs. I was thinking at the time how lovely it was going to be living next door to them with yet more poodles on the way. Thankfully they got Dink (or whatever his name was) neutered.

9. chloesredboy

chloesredboy CH Dog

joe is neutered and he is not fat or lazy,and he still acts like a boy dog ,lifts his leg to pee,and still loves the ladies!for every reason not to neuter there are ten better reasons you should do it.Dont let anyone tell you the B.S that its torture or that it will mess up your dog,the fact is if you dont plan to breed there is really no reason you shouldnt do it.I also think its an even better idea with pit-bulls as altered males are much less likley to get stolen!

10. Texasbulldogs

Texasbulldogs Top Dog

11. CynthiaATL

CynthiaATL Guest

Scrappy is Nuetered. He is not fat or lazy by any means. Yes I agree with Mia that there are medical issues that can be avoided if you spay/nueter a animal. Such as pyrometra, and cancer. Also some males are cryptorchid (when 1 or both testicles have not descended) which can result in cancer later on..

Alot of breeders neuter and spay there animals after they get done showing/breeding their animals.

I see it at work when you talk to a man about neutering they act like THEY are the ones getting neutered. Also another excuse I hear is I want him to get some before I nueter. I tell them that they are personalizing this too much!

I think that if they are not shown or bred then there is no reason for them to be left intact. It is much healthier in the long run.

12. Verderben

Verderben CH Dog

With a male I think it is pointless. If you are responsible enough to contain your dog properly and not have any accidental breedings then no don't neuter him. IMO there isnt any benefits except your dog can't have pups. It will not lower his aggression levels, It wont make him not roam if he wants to roam. It might prevent testicular cancer but has been found to highten the risk of other cancers. Personally I wouldnt cut my dogs legs or tail off just because later in life it MIGHT develop cancer there. ::: putting flame suit on now :::

13. Attila

Attila Guest

I think any man that makes a kid that it and the mother has to live off of welfare because that man is a lump of shit should be denuttered.

But I don't alter dogs. At least not pure breed ones. Mutts and currs you should cut. As well as dogs that don't get worked or shown.

14. laurajean

laurajean Top Dog

I too have noticed that young males(human) seem to take neutering (of male dogs) a little too personally. Just neuter the dogs, don't take it personally. If the dog is not a top notch show dog, just your pet, get it neutered.
    Owners of intact male dogs need to take some responsibility for all the unwanted puppies produced in the world. Pit bulls are already escape artists. Why not neuter the males and then they won't be out roaming and breeding every mutt female in heat. It will be much easier to contain your male if he is neutered.
    Of course , if one is like Atilla and able to contain one's dogs then leave them intact, but remember that it is a big responsibility of YOURS to keep your dogs from reproducing. And there are health benefits to spay/neuter and financial benefits...(lower vet bills and lower license costs).

15. Michele

Michele Guest

IMO, if you are not going to breed, then do it. As much as owners say that they are careful and it could never happen to me, sometimes accidents happen.

16. Michele

Michele Guest

IMO, I dont think this is a good comparison at all. Neutering will prevent more pups from coming into this world, only to possibly be PTS because of overcrowding in shelters, among other things.

I just feel that no matter how much someone says that it could never happen, shit does happen. Better to be safe than sorry.

17. jiu-pitsu

jiu-pitsu Pup

I admit I was pretty naive about all that is pitbulls when I got my male of course I'd read about dog agression and all that and when I started taking him to his obedience classes at about 8 wks it was always "when are you going to neuter, do you have an appointment yet." very pushy. But being I was'nt going to breed and the positive things I had heard about fixing him I went ahead and did it at about 5mo. old. Its hard to say w/o having raised an intact male to compare but he has been extreemly stable w/ other dogs and hasn't hindered his drive at all. Overall I dont see any good traits that are missing from doing this. One happy pitbull. Also I think if the're not papered don't breed and you should neuter/spay them because as we know these dogs are already overpopulated and that just leads to more problems for us.

18. Personally i refuse to get my male clipped.Its been a fight with me and my girlfreind ever since weve had him.About a year and a couple months.EVERY other male dog ive had before my pit that got clipped.....just wasnt the same.Say what you want, but i seen it, ive lived it.They change....atleast as far as labs and shepards go.They dont want to play as much, and they do get fat.Besides....i have a purebred papered dog with a ped.Im not going to get him cut, that would have defeated the whole purpose of spending the extra 300 dollars to get him papered.

19. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

I had two of my male pit bulls neutered at the age of 3 years old & it didn't affect either one of them one bit. They did not get fat, nor did it affect their dog drive. The only thing it affected was their sex drive.

I look at it like this: if you aren't going to show/pull have him fixed. A lot of ppl say "Oh, I'll just keep a handle on him" but consider this:

- Your intact male pit bull smells a female in heat, gets loose (& we all know no one is excempt from accidents) & he gets hit by a car on his way down there.

- Your intact male pit bull smells a female in heat & goes to woo this lady. He meets another male in the yard & gets into a fight.

- Your intact male pit bull smells a female in heat & goes to woo this lady. The female's owner finds him in the yard & shoots him.

- Your intact male pit bull smells a female in heat, gets loose & gets picked up by AC only to be PTS.

All these are very real scenarios that could be prevented if the dog was simply neutered.

Or let's say you DO contain your male & he doesn't get loose. But a male dog can smell a female in heat up to 3 miles away. Since he cannot get to them, he cannot relieve his urges & ends up feeling like he's in a state of perpetual blue balls. Yeah, that's what I want for my dog! :rolleyes:

No disrespect to any of the men here, but I think men personalize this too much. Neutering is one of best thing you can do for your dog & if you are that insecure in your manhood that your dog has to have his balls to make you feel more like a man, you need to go find a therapist.

lmao ...

laurajean and (deleted member) like this.