1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

What's your opinion about nuttering ?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by koening, Mar 9, 2007.

1. Im not any less of a man, weather my dog has ballz or not.Its my personal preferance....to each their own.

2. pennsooner

pennsooner CH Dog

I intend to show my next dog so he'll be intact till I'm done with that and then............snip snip. Once they've matured I prefer less hassle. I'm not too fond of pediatric spay/neuter however so I'll wait till after sexual maturity. My current dog is neutered.

3. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

I thought of something else that is also a possibility. (Not even touching on the numerous other things that can happen to a wandering dog.) Say the male ties up with the female and she's carrying something. It could be something as serious as brucellosis or as mild-but-irritating as fleas, Either way, its not something you want your dog to get. Not to mention that if he goes onto another person's property and breeds their female, you can be held legally liable for the costs of whelping and raising the litter, or paying for a spay/abort or whatnot.

4. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

zane: That's what they all say! lamo ... But seriously, if you're not going to show/pull, why have him intact? Don't you care about the safety & health of your dog? Or is there some other underlying reason he has to have his "ballz....?"

Baha: I had not thought of that. What if the male brings home brucellosis? Humans can catch that, esp. kids! And isn't there a strain of babasia that is sexually transmitted as well? I know some forms of babasia are able to be transmitted to humans too!

(*shudders*)

5. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

You've had 1 dog that got neutered & now you're an expert in behavioral & physical changes in neutered dogs?

Dogs get fat because their owners over feed them. Period. If you don't give the food to the dog, then he can't eat it, thus he can't get fat. It's as simple as that. In some dogs, there has been shown a very very very slight metabolic change (but metabolism changes constantly throughout life so IMO that's not a good arguement), but if you notice your dog is starting to gain weight, cut back on the food. It's not hard.

As for getting him "papered", I'm guessing you have big plans to breed him & sell some pups. Because papers don't mean shit otherwise & even then they are only as good as that individual dog. I've neutered dogs that have probably had a prettier pedigree than yours. Hell, I've got a spayed bitch from Mr. B. And the point is?

1 person likes this.
  6. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

A new tech at the clinic has an absolutely dropdead gorgeous English Pointer that is not only an AKC Ch. but is also an accomplished bird dog (I'm unsure as to how their point system goes). And guess what? She just neutered him. Many couldn't believe she did it, but like she said, "There are no quality Pointers anywhere close in this region & she's not going to breed her dog to some subpar or byb bitch all so that owner can make a profit off of her dog."

To some people, status isn't everything (wow....what a concept)

7. chloesredboy

chloesredboy CH Dog

some one said that neutering has actually caused heath problems?Ive only been a tech for year so i really am not 100% sure but other than maybe a minor infection from incisions i cant think of a single health problem that is caused from a dog being neutered,as with any medical procedure there is always a chance something bad could happen,evev simple vaccines can cuase reactions in some animals,but to say that a problem is caused directly by a dog being neutered?I dont think so Mia,maybe you could help me out on this one!

8. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

I wouldn't say neutering itself causes any health problems. There may be complications in procedure or the aftercare, but the chances of that are so slight they are not even a real consideration.

9. chloesredboy

chloesredboy CH Dog

someone said in another post that it is known to heighten the risk of other types of cancer,Ive NEVER heard that.

10. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

Me either. :confused:

11. chloesredboy

chloesredboy CH Dog

Yeah its load but im going to say this to whoever wrote it-If you dont believe in altering that is fine as it is your decision and no one elses.However i would like to ask that you not make up crazy lies to prove your point it ,if you have valid reasons that you believe dogs shouldnt be neutered please put them up so people can see both sides of the argument ,but dont strart pulling B.S out your ass to scare people.

12. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

Early neutering has its drawbacks, but waiting until a dog is physically mature shouldn't negatively impact them.

13. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

OK this is just me but ... I think s/n is great. All my male cats (3) are neutered & every dog we aren't showing or pulling with is s/n.

It is better for them physically by cutting down on things like cancer & it better for them mentally by eliminating sexual frustration. Overall IMO it improves their quality of life & may even improve their length of life.

If you knew of a procedure that could lengthen your pet's life & make what life they do have better, why not do it?

For those of you who don't want to do it, that is your perogative. But I care too much for my animals NOT to.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2007
  14. simms

simms CH Dog

IMO ya'll should spay and nueter esp if the dog is not to standard or kept as a pet. Most ya'll dont know what a highly intense drivin dog is anywho.....let alone know how to deal with one.

curs breeding curs!

1 person likes this.
  15. simms

simms CH Dog

good for you!

16. simms

simms CH Dog

I suppose this is why I dont deal with the public and the APBT. If
    I happen to have a cat or dog that is availible for a pet home....it is spayed or nueterd.

In my oppinion if your not part of the solution on this issue you are part of the problem.

I say we ship these unwanted cats and dogs to other countrys so we can atleast feed those that cant feed them selves. Ya think that would get folks attention?

17. chloesredboy

chloesredboy CH Dog

are you talking about people eating cats and dogs?eewww!

18. simms

simms CH Dog

Yes I am.

These animals are dieing in the shelter anyway. Peapole want to maintain the right to spay or nueter. Might be a solution.... this is a glunteness country. To someone that is litterly starving, they would be thankfull to eat tom and fluffy...

19. chloesredboy

chloesredboy CH Dog

oh that is so gross,but i guess if you can kill two birds with one stone.....lol!

20. CynthiaATL

CynthiaATL Guest

Shoot I was hoping it would slow Scrappy down! LOL But it did not. I waited till he was 1 to do it. And as you can see in my signature he is not fat by anymeans.

So I do not believe that all Spay/nuetered animals get fat and lazy. At work I see numerous dogs on a daily basis and I would say about 90% do not gain weight JUST because they were fixed. There are other factors such as treats, and over feeding that contributes to gaining weight. Also I think that the owner should take some responsibilty as to an animal being over weight. Take you dogs on a walk. Exercise your animals. Also measure the food. I hear it at work I ask how much are you feeding. The client says oh a cup a day. Then I find out by a cup they mean a McDonalds 32oz cup not a measuring cup.

As far as causing cancer BECAUSE your animal was neutering I do not believe that. And preventative care is the best way to go. Thats why we vaccinate our animals. Give them heartworm preventative. And complications can occur during surgery. Thats why it is best to get an IV cath (to have access to a vein) and to give fluids during surgery. And also get a pre-anesthetic profile done to see if thier body can metabolize the anesthesia.

But still if accidental breeding do not occur then how do we have this overpopulation of animals. And we all know that APBT are exscape artists.