1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Wheat Germ Oil?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by PREACHER, May 27, 2009.

1. PREACHER

PREACHER Big Dog

Ok, got a question. Does anyone here use Wheat germ oil as an everyday suppliment. If so what do you like about it and what kinda results did you see when you began to use it? Are there any down sides to it?

2. brat pack

brat pack Top Dog

Have never used it but do know that a lot of dogs have allergies to wheat. People too. That is enough to stop me. Used to add wheat germ to liver brownies I made. Just couldn't feed them to one of my dogs w/wheat allergies.
    People have used the wheat germ for the coat but never heard of the oil being used.

3. pit#5

pit#5 Banned

Cod liver oil is low cost and most likely a good choice

4. CaesarIsis

CaesarIsis Top Dog

We've always used wheat germ oil, usually every other day. We've had no problems with it and our dogs have great looking coats and it helps with muscle regeneration ...just dont use it too too much or they're coat can start to get an "oily" look and could give them a slight loose stool. The dogs have no problem at all with the taste or anything either. I've heard alot of people say olive oil is good too but this shows Wheat Germ is much much better...

OLIVE OIL (1 tBsp):
    Calories: 119
    Total Fat 14g (21%)
    Saturated Fat 2g (9%)
    Trans Fat
    Cholesterol 0 mg (0%)
    Vitamin A 0 IU (0%)
    Vitamin D 0 IU (0%)
    Vitamin E 1.9 mg (10%)
    Vitamin K 8.1 mcg (10%)
    Total Omega-3 fatty acids 102 mg
    Total Omega-6 fatty acids 1318 mg

WHEAT GERM OIL (1 tBsp):
    Calories: 119
    Total Fat 14g (21%)
    Saturated Fat 3g (13%)
    Trans Fat
    Cholesterol 0 mg (0%)
    Vitamin A 0 IU (0%)
    Vitamin D 0 IU (0%)
    Vitamin E 20.2 mg (101%)
    Vitamin K 3.3 mcg (4%)
    Total Omega-3 fatty acids 932 mg
    Total Omega-6 fatty acids 7398 mg

Vitamin E and the Omega acids are important and Wheat Germ Oil contains wayyy more than most other oils. To be honest though I dont have any experience with cod oil, but i DO know that our dogs didn't do great on salmon oil because it gave them the shits and made them constantly smell like fish lol. You can usually find Wheat Germ Oil at feed stores in a gallon jug for pretty cheap.

5. Shameless

Shameless Big Dog

I use flax seed oil, and occasional coconut oil when I'm not running low on cash. Coconut oil worked pretty awesome, I saw results in my dogs coat faster with that than with any other oils i've tried. Helped with one of my dogs digestion problems to.

6. performanceknls

performanceknls Top Dog

I use wheat germ oil on all my show and performance dogs. It works great and I can get it at the feed stores by the gallon. They have great coats and do just fine on it. I feed 1 pump daily for each dog.

7. BostonBully

BostonBully Top Dog

Performance what is the store you get it at? I want to get some and I may have the same store here.

8. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

Why not just give a regular Vit E cap? Or 3-6-9 blend?

Coconut oil is great as it is high in saturated fats as well as MCT oil! Good as a fuel source.

YIS

9. CaesarIsis

CaesarIsis Top Dog

Just find any feed/farm supply store and they should have it, all the one's down here do at least...if not, they should at least be able to order it for you.

10. scratchin dog

scratchin dog CH Dog

Cod liver oil contains massive amounts of vitamins A & D, which accumulate every day. Excesses of both vitamins A & D can become toxic over time, leading to liver damage (Vitamin A) and kidney damage (Vitamin D).

11. performanceknls

performanceknls Top Dog

Most feed stores will have it but you have to look in the horse section, it should be there.