1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

when do you feed your dogs

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by cliffdog, Aug 5, 2011.

1. cliffdog

cliffdog Top Dog

how often... and when do you feed your dogs.
    Just wondering. Thinking about feeding once a day instead of twice.

2. brat pack

brat pack Top Dog

I used to feed twice. And then for convenience I swapped to once. I have 19 dogs that mostly stay inside. I get up around 4:30am and bring the ones who stayed the night out inside and start putting the others out in shifts and feeding. I do think the dogs liked it better being fed twice though. They seemed more satisfied to me. I have to leave the house at 6:40 for work.
    It took them a few days to get used to the new schedule but they are okay with it now. And it definitely freed up my time more.

3. old goat

old goat CH Dog

your only supost to do it 1 time a day so they can empty out . feeding morning or night does'nt matter . only if your working them . then feed hour after they cool down . 30 minutes if they're not to hot will be fine . they just need to be cooled and rest some before you feed . nationals are coming up so everyone that can should go .

4. fonzie

fonzie Top Dog

morning and evening

5. mac 11

mac 11 Banned

And I cant wait to see the comp. at nationals. I agree with Old goat, although, I rather feed at night, that way the dogs sleep better. In the morning, the dogs empty out till about afternoon just when it heats up. In other words, once a day, at night, unless doing some work or something similar.

6. cliffdog

cliffdog Top Dog

Thanks for the responses. Was just wondering. Never fed dogs just once a day but heard it's better for em that way. So thinking about giving it a shot.

7. vnairp11

vnairp11 Pup

Feed an adult dog 2 times a day feed a puppy 3-4 times a day ;)

8. bukskin.banks

bukskin.banks Big Dog

that's what i've done ^, but i'm going to switch to once a day, at night after i work em. Then maybe if i work them a lil in the after noon i'll give them a little snack. see how it goes

9. jacko

jacko CH Dog

talk to a hill farmer and ask him when he feeds his working dogs ,in the evening when they are calm, but house dogs can be fed 2 times a day as a full and content dog is less likely to cuase havoc , just feed them less if ya doing it 2 times

10. jaykay

jaykay Big Dog

i only feed once a day in the evening.

11. benthere

benthere CH Dog Staff Member

Have always fed twice a day. Dogs, like humans, utilize their food better if given several smaller meals. Now if you are working a dog, you should only feed them once a day because, like old goat said, they need to empty out.

12. bukskin.banks

bukskin.banks Big Dog

twice a day when feeding raw? seems like that would be ok cause raw can be digested faster. doesn't kibble take for ever to digest?

13. Tiger12490

Tiger12490 Big Dog

once in the day evening as well

14. cliffdog

cliffdog Top Dog

That's true (about digestion times), I know that when I do raw meals, mine are emptied out in no time, kinda surprised me the first time really.

15. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

This for me as well.

16. mr. piff

mr. piff Pup

I feed twice at high twelve and low twelve

17. ccourtcleve

ccourtcleve Big Dog

Once per day. prefer in the evenings.

18. - Morning / evening (adult dog)
    - Four / three times a day (puppy)

19. Nash

Nash Big Dog

Same thing here.

20. hardluck

hardluck Banned

night time is the best time. i feed at 9pm because it works with my schedule. i notice though they go right to sleep afterwards. its a good way to go to sleep on a full stomach if you ask me..