1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

When to feed my pup?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Diddy2011, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Diddy2011

Diddy2011 Pup

I work third shift so my 10 month old pup and I go for 2 mile walks in the morning at 11am and in the evening around 6pm. When is the best time to feed him so that he get the most out of his workout? His current weight is 43lbs.

2. old goat

old goat CH Dog

after your walk at 6 .

3. chucho

chucho Big Dog

I would say about an hour after your last work out if posible. If not an hour after any one of the work outs should do. As long as he aint panting any more you should be alright.

4. hardluck

hardluck Banned

i work him in the morning similar to you wait 30min to an hour after i work him and feed arround 12. he takes a shit at 6 in the morning the next day and then again 8-9 and i goes on again with rests in were it fits in with my weekly schedule of life. you can try to fit this type of schedule in with yours. its pretty basic. i have been told just to make sure he/she takes a shit twice before working him/her and they will be emptied out of their bowl movements. urine make sure thats out also....

5. hardluck

hardluck Banned

my fault i didnt read DIDDY 2011 POST correctlly after 6 would be your best bet as old goat said..... work on an empty stomach

6. Diddy2011

Diddy2011 Pup

Rocko2.jpg Rocko1.jpg
    Pics of him today after a workout.

Thanks guys. I think that this will help him make it further. He usually takes a cramp while we're on the trail and it breaks the rythme. I do make sure that he has water before and during the run. Think he drinks about one 16oz bottle of water during the workout.
    Does anybody know about MSM? Vet says that it helps his joints. I mix it with his water twice a day.

7. rayhusten

rayhusten Pup

I think you should feed you pup in the morning as they feel more hunger at that time.

<table style="width: 649px; height: 48px;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><colgroup><col width="59"></colgroup><tbody><tr height="20"> <td style="height:15.0pt;width:44pt" width="59" height="20"><table style="width: 216px; height: 48px;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><col width="64"><tr height="20"> <td style="height:15.0pt;width:48pt" width="64" height="20">dog heat cycle duration</td> </tr></table></td> </tr></tbody></table>

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2011
  8. NatureBoy

NatureBoy Big Dog

I would not recommend giving water before or durring his workout.. your dog will work harder empty.. also less stress on his kidneys!