1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

which is Best Food For Dogs?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by edgan, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Limey kennels

Limey kennels CH Dog

Ok my last two cents. I have imported varius Greyhound feeds from the Uk (Highlex international dogfood company) and Ireland have delt with manny people involved with greyhound racing. we imported 15 diferend lines of greyhound foods,And i can tell you that greyhound feed ore food is NOT adequat enoughf for a apbt!!.
    the diferend build up in sporting activeties, asks for a compleat diferend feeding program and aproutch. Cliff with all due respect if your NOT a long time apbt conditioner then you have ""no"" idea what your on about. In claiming that Eucanuba is a inferieur ore mild brand of dogfood. and claiming others are better, just because a feeding advizer said so..
    The condition program of a apbt is multiply then that of greyhounds!!. there is NO comperesing..
    the dept and sientific aprotch in ""working"" a dog able to go ALL out for 3..hrs. is a bit more complex then feeding a greyhound and working him for a 30 sec ore a min sprint.

you know as wel as i do that a winning greyhound is 80/90% genetics, the rest is diet and very very mild road work.... and thats where you base your upinion on. because greyhounds are very FRAGILE and vunareble and go of balanse very quik and are metaly very weak...........

with this in mind you can not posible judge what is a good food ore not for a compleatly diferend breed with compleat diferend purpose.......I must say that i have used greyhound suplermends in the past and swear bij Magnetic field terapy witch i got from the gryhound world.. It works iven beter for the apbt then for greyhounds!!!!!

2. mr. piff

mr. piff Pup

so limey - what do you think of orijen, solid gold or castor and pollux dry dog food

3. Mr.Revolution

Mr.Revolution CH Dog

I feed orijen for dry food.Also my cat eats orijen
    Truth be told when i first got my cat 6 years ago i was feeding him blue buffalo and he was in good shape.then we got another cat and started getting the cheap shit (friskies ect.)He went from the most playfull cat to a fat belly dragging selflicking sleeping all day former shell of himself.After i switched him to orijen hes back to acting like a wild cat again.
    Any food with corn or grain aint good.

4. mr. piff

mr. piff Pup

i mix my raw with either orijen regional red or solid gold

5. sweetscience

sweetscience Big Dog

i am not an expert on what the right food for a dog is. from my experiance i use a dry kibble like castor and pollux and a wet canned food like numans organic beef and liver, i also like to rotate the diet a bit and use blue buffalo taste of the wild canned salmon and grilled turkey. i beleive if your dog is active at least one hour per day of free running tug, sprints with ligt weight like two to five pounds the dog needs a high quality protein and good omga threes like wild salmon oil and at times maybe one to two times per week free range eggs supplemented with omega oils in the egg. i also use a multivitan a couple times a week....just my 2 cents for what its worth

6. cliffdog

cliffdog Top Dog

Limey all I will say is that I have never listened to a dog food advertiser. EVER. I turn the damn bag over, read the damn ingredients, and do my research. That's all I will say on it. Have I conditioned an APBT? No, not yet. But what's junk food is junk food, regardless of what it's going toward fueling.

Also, yes, greyhound food could be improved, but it is better imo than crappy kibble. And, I am not necessarily trying to say that Eukanuba is horrible. It's about middle of the road as far as quality. But it is WAY to expensive for what you are getting. If you want to pay that much you can find a better feed.

Hardluck that is a good video. My grandfather got his meat from a place called "QUAL-PET" I believe. I can't recall the exact price, but he bought large quantities at a time and it was a good reliable source of cheap and safe meat. The only quarrel I have with it is that when you make such a mush it gets into the dogs teeth with nothing to clean them, and as such a lot of older Greys' teeth are rotting right out of their heads. This can be prevented by giving the dogs safe bones to chew on.

7. Limey kennels

Limey kennels CH Dog

MRpiff as i stated befor my chooice is based on years and years of trail and error, and i came to the conclusion that for the famely of dogs i used to workt with Eucanuba is the best brand. That thussend mean it will work for everybody els.
    but sisn this famely of dogs hase had its 15 min of fame, and at one time was umongst if not the best famely out there . then i belive i could mentiond that Eucanuba is way up there.
    also as stated befor when starting to feed pairs of pups used umongst SBT show dogs the results where astonishing as wel.. ,

Cliff i wassend supost to put another post on but i feel like doing it anyway. Have you ever heard the fraze ""One mans Game dog is another mans cur!!!"""..
    It works the same with dog foods and upinions .Its like a assholle everybody hase one.Including myself...
    you dont seem to understand that what you may call Junk food in your line of ecsperience with a diferend breed of dogs . could be the best ore umongst the best out there for this breed of dogs..

The ingridiense in eucanuba may very wel be bad in your eyes for what you do but(and im prety sure) could be the best posible ingriediense for this breed...So agian you can not make that asumption .
    Last but not least one of the MAIN rezen why im not a fan of feeding raw is that when your on top of your game conditioning dogs.
    feeding them is bassed on grams of wel balansed food. every little palled of dogfood is consistand. they ALL cary the same volume and the same amound of nutritiens.
    feeding raw and ore ad raw, can never be as consistand. weight in working a bulldog wil fluctuate to mutch.
    weight loss of a bulldog in training should be the same EVERY SINGLE DAY and ore increase very small, so you can ad a couple of pallets to keep a dog ON WEIGHT.. its a strain on a dogs system when you have him at the lowest posible weight wher he is still strong and work him for weeks and weeks.

a single halve a lbs drop in weight over what he normaly looses. can compleatly ruin a keep and ore a compleat week of workouts.... as the weight loss at that state of a dog being as close to ideal weight is PURE ENERGY loss.. 1/4 ore 1/2 lbs of lost energy

Bij the way at the time of GRCH Midnight JRods only fed Eucanuba to his dogs(he had a petfood store as wel).. your going to be in schok how little he needed to feed from eucanuba. and howmanytop notch dogman wher and are stil feeding it..

8. cliffdog

cliffdog Top Dog

I understand that Limey, everyone has their opinion, and I am just a guy on the internet, I surely don't know everything about feeding dogs!! But I do not get my information from advertisers, not at all! If I got my information from advertisers I surely would never feed any raw food because according to dog food companies raw food will kill your dog the second he taste it.

As for consistency of food, I weight dog food (raw or kibble) in exact grams when the dog is being worked so I am aware that little incriments of food make a difference. And I understand your argument and what you are saying! I only took offense to the idea that what I think about dog food would come from a company who profits off of me. I don't trust a word any company says about their product, I trust the ingredients list on the back and a basic knowledge of canine biology... And that is what I form "MY opinion" on, so obviously everyone's opinion is different...

For me Eukanuba has too much "by-product" and "flavoring" and not enough good meat... again as you said this is only my opinion and all of us have one... Perhaps some day soon I will feel differently when I do my first keep!... I have a lot to learn!

9. cliffdog

cliffdog Top Dog

Sorry for a lot of mistakes typing in that post...

10. Mr.Revolution

Mr.Revolution CH Dog

I dont care how good a line of dogs u bred or did good with u feeding them that Limey.The fact is its not good dog food not and oppinion. just cause someone grew up on hotdogs and ramen noodles and was fit enough to play sports dont mean they was getting propper nutrition.And i would assume u(Limey) was using supplements.

11. Mr.Revolution

Mr.Revolution CH Dog

Oh and no disrespect Limey just disagreeing

12. old goat

old goat CH Dog

limey why are you always saying thing like you trying to make your dogs sound like the best . you wrote it . y'all had some very nice dogs . but know way in hell was they the best . when you say things like that people start to think . and eukanuba in some parts of the country is'nt good for your dog . and science diet bad stuff .

[​IMG] Re: which is Best Food For Dogs?
    MRpiff as i stated befor my chooice is based on years and years of trail and error, and i came to the conclusion that for the famely of dogs i used to workt with Eucanuba is the best brand. That thussend mean it will work for everybody els.
    but sisn this famely of dogs hase had its 15 min of fame, and at one time was umongst if not the best famely out there . then i belive i could mentiond that Eucanuba is way up there.
    also as stated befor when starting to feed pairs of pups used umongst SBT show dogs the results where astonishing as wel..​

13. I raised my pups on Royal Canin Premium Puppy and they developed very good with it. The one I get here is made in France. After they turned 3 months old I fed them cooked meat, chicken or fish with rice, corn cereal, spinach, beets, carrots, hard boiled eggs, linseed, chopped garlic and olive oil. They still eat that to this day and they are strong and healthy. Once a week I throw them a raw knuckle bone with meat and fat on it to keep the teeth clean.

I don't like the processed/commercial foods because they make my dogs fat and lazy and they are very low quality as far as digestibility and assimilation.

14. sweetscience

sweetscience Big Dog

hi old goat ... i never met u but i like reading your posts, i agree with a lot of your points of view ... thanks all others i have picked up some good ideas, tips..... whats important is our love of this beautiful breed, and the sharing of opinions and ideas from all the members. hopefully all of our input can benefit our bulldawgs....

15. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

Old Goat has good points of views because, he has experienced, and been around the dogs along time

YIS

16. Limey kennels

Limey kennels CH Dog

Old goat .Sins you are bringing it up.
    Again Every famely hase its 15 min of fame what thuse that tell you, and what thuse UMONGST if NOT the best famely out there means!!!.

i know my spelling is bad . but i belive what i put in my post means that in a sirten"" momend"" in history this famely of dogs ""could"" go along with the best in the world and in some places ""where"" the best around!!!!!..

same like the world got the famouse Tombstone x Red Baby Redboy x Jocko ore Bobby x Dirty mary breedings ecetera ecetera..
    Nelis x Tug was no diferend.
    Tug produced i belive 23 pups when bred to Ch spike and Nelis rom from these 23 pups 21 where shown and 75% of them Won there game!! . Nelis bred 11 bitches produced 7ch a 2 rom sons who out produced him they bred i belive 6 ore 7 both not only producing more ch but 2 GRCH as wel and sins they where inbred sons of Nelis rom that would make him a iven a beter producer ""thus this make sens"". not bad for a famely of dogs that never contained more then 25 to 40 dogs in general!! sometimes including pups. i belive a total of 35 ch and a couple of grch and lots of w and l in between them in varius hands.in a cours of 30 years!!.. and shown i varius parts in the world in diferend hands.
    Twice this famely was douwn to only 4 / 6 dogs!!! and rebuild again.. They beat Barney fife with mother of STB Dylan, send Fat bill home broke, and had old Brodway jack handel a bunsh of them had Bulldog Ranch make a ch (umongst others in varius parts the usa)and beat Cap America . Had Curtis Rivieara say this is the hardest mouth he had seen sinst Irich Tim,s CH Looghen , the list if a mile long. You make it sound that it is almost a sin, to show of and ore show us being prouwd what these dogs have done in the cours of there history..

But this hase NOTHING to do with this topic.
    my words where used bij myself to put some credibilety ore weight ore rep if you whant in useing Eucanuba as premium dog food. against people who say its not!!... Is there anything wrong with that?????............

17. cliffdog

cliffdog Top Dog

There have been some great dogs in the USA (history) who were fed Ol' Roy. Just worth mentioning.

18. TASOSCHATZ

TASOSCHATZ Big Dog

Forgot the photo?
    [​IMG]
    This is indeed gringo's photo from another forum.

19. a few years ago i used to feed my dogs with eukanuba.It's a expensive brand and the quality is very questionable .... i only see that when i change the food for triple crown that is a good food for dogs and not expensive the dogs like it.

20. TASOSCHATZ

yes that is a good nutrician food, but if i was you i will take out de yellow part of the egg and feed them only with the white one there is all the protein they dont need the yellow one and if you feed to much can damage his liver.Obviosly who haves a big yard with 50 dogs is dificult and expensive feed them like this.