1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

why is weight an issue?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by badger, Oct 15, 2004.

1. badger

badger Big Dog

i know on this forum it seems to be very clear that a certain weight is desired, however there is no height or weight standard for the breed is there? i am new to the breed and am doing alot of research because i am probably going to get this breed of dog. and i am really excited because there are alot of real enthuisiasts on this board that clearly loves this breed there is alot of history and info i have obtained reading posts and articles. so if there is no height or weight standard (feel free to correct me) why is it that alot of people frown on pits of larger size? i understand the breed was only a certain size but wasnt alot of different breed of dogs the same way and are now of bigger size .

2. dustin

dustin Pup

it's all about prefrence.. i have my pit bull for a house dog. i chose a pit bull because they're smart. not because they can pull a bunch of weight. i grew up around dobie's and they were used as guard dogs when we had them. I wanted to stick to bully breeds but i wanted a smarter dog. so i chose pitbull. my female is 55+ lbs. it's obviously over what people like here.. but i think she's just fine.

3. if i understand what u are saying there is a standard on height and weight, look at the apbt conformation website....look at the adba standards

4. Bubba

Bubba Top Dog

http://www.adba.cc/conf.htm check out that link as it might help. The weight issue is really just a preference thing, like has already been said. Provided you aren't trying to call some 100lb mastiff cross a bulldog, I don't think anyone really cares. My smallest is about 28lbs and my biggest is about 55lbs or so.

BB

5. SFK

SFK Top Dog

If you ever have the chance, try and control a game crazy catchweight bulldog, around 65-70 #s. I promise you it will take everything you have. Now controlling a 35-45# dog is much easier, especially if you are looking at the dog as a pet, & other people like your wife, girlfriend or children may be in control of the dog.Never forget what these dogs where/are bred for. Never assume that just because you raise a dog as a pet that it will forget what has been wired into it for over 500 years. Not trying to scare you but I believe there are to many people that currently own this breed who are either ignorant or blind to the fact that these are gamedogs first & foremost.

6. badger

badger Big Dog

i really appreciate all the info and opinions! sfk that is an interesting statement, where i live there seems to be alot of owners of this breed ....in fact i have seen older ladies walking them in neighborhoods. people who own dogs should educate themselves on dogs and their breed before picking one anyway and depending on what you plan on owning a dog for well especially this breed it should be very well socialized to show an positive image.as far as pits and humans arent they specifically bred to be human pleasing and non aggressive to man, and gamebred to other animals.and a well informed, responsible owner will socialize and always be watchful around the dog when there are other animals around.

7. I looked at the website and I found this dog, very impressive, and defined. Badger I am a first time owner, so welcome to the club. I was given this dog and wanted to give it a good home since maybe it would have fallen into the wrong hands or given to a shelter. I have read alot of posts and articles on this forum, and they have been a ton of help. I for one was misinformed when I thought about pitbulls. I was under the impression that these dogs weighed 100+ lbs. I have seen dogs around where I live that are this big, but after seeing the pictures and the kennels pictures of dogs from the members of this board have, I now have a totally different outlook on the breed! Welcome to the board, everyone is very helpful here. this is my dog "Bruno" licking his face after a meal.

-R

Attached Files:

8. badger

badger Big Dog

that is a beautiful dog r.miller, and i appreciate the welcome and the info!

9. Marty

Marty Guest

Damn, that first dog is "DEFINED" some body been working that dog !!!!!!!!...I'm not saying your dog don't look good, its just that dog is damn near perfect!!!!!!IMHO

Attached Files:

10. Marty, that dog is located at the website http://www.americanpitbullterrier.org/apbt_size.htm they also have a bitch that looks just as ggod, when i saw that dog i said damn that dog is worked good. Anyone use aol instant messenger? My handle is ranmill10
    here is the pic and the line, UB&Bs GR CH RENE
    -R

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2004
  11. Marty

Marty Guest

Man shes nice too!
    :D

12. Attached Files:

13. Man he is nice! I went to the link and they have some nice dogs.

-R