1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

workouts per day??

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by alabama, Nov 19, 2009.

1. alabama

alabama Big Dog

Would you work your dog once a day,twice or more than that?? Why??

2. alabama

alabama Big Dog

This is in a keep by the way......

3. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

all depends what keep.
    i use my own and the workouts increase in number and intensity the further in you get

4. Lipcurl

Lipcurl Big Dog

Twice, AM and PM , so not to over burden a dog in one session. Walking AM some resistance and sprints PM.

5. PurePit19

PurePit19 CH Dog

I do one steady session in a keep. I've tried two a day, but my dogs will cut weight to fast for my liking. My dogs do much better with once a day workouts. Its easier to get the dog on a schedule with a once a day workout, he'll empty on time and his weight will be consistantly decreasing in a normal way. But it all depends on what the keep is for, for conformation shows, i just work them when i feel like it, no real routine, they have to look in shape, not actually be in shape. Most dogs look in shape with good feed and minimal work. JMO

6. TwistedMettle

TwistedMettle Big Dog

Twice, morning and evening. Morning gets most of the Cardio and evening gets most of the Strength training.

7. alabama

alabama Big Dog

Thats the way i would do it twisted mettle

8. peppapig

peppapig Banned

i agree with the am and pm.....BUT.....id love to try all at one time....the am pm gives a dog a rest ready for the later spurt....but....there is no breaks .... so why not find a way to work a dog in one session that emulates and works the body to the point thats close to a show???....:cool:

9. TwistedMettle

TwistedMettle Big Dog

We use this keep like this to lean up a dog. All the strength and explosive training is done first, then we finish it up with the slat mill.

I find it a good way to shred a dog. The strength training burns whatever carbs/calories that are in the dogs stomach and by the time they are on the Slat they should be running on pure fat by then.

10. peppapig

peppapig Banned

its worked fine on mine TWISTED the am pm sessions.....but id love to try an ALL IN ONE..... if you know what i mean...

11. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

You should only do 1 a day. Should be the same time that the competition is suppose to start.

12. FrankDublin

FrankDublin CH Dog

the way Ive seen it done was walk-mill/genie-walk-walk

so its walk before mill work

walk after mill work

then later that day walk

so its more walking then anything

13. peppapig

peppapig Banned

my point is.....why is the training not done to emulate the show itself??i know it works fine the AM PM........but still.....why isnt an "all at once" keep used more??...... like to hear the opinions on it lads....

14. FrankDublin

FrankDublin CH Dog

the way I posted is more of a all at ounce keep

the night walk is used to keep a dog from stoing up over night more of a stretch if you will

15. peppapig

peppapig Banned

HAS SOME FUCKER EDITED MY POST????:confused:.........I NEVER USED THE WORD ""TWISTED""????:mad: ......

16. peppapig

peppapig Banned

WHY DOES IT SAY TWISTED??......:confused::confused:

17. TwistedMettle

TwistedMettle Big Dog

Were you perhaps directing the post to me? :confused:

18. peppapig

peppapig Banned

erm...:eek:...right:rolleyes:....thats me pissed up on the cobra beers then.....TAXI for peppapig....ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ:p:rolleyes:

19. Lipcurl

Lipcurl Big Dog

Peppa, you give irish an even badder name LOL !!:rolleyes:

20. norcalreds.com

norcalreds.com Big Dog

I feel once a day is fine! I alternate cardio one day then strength the next day! But when I'm doing cardio I'm also adding in some strength training along with the cardio. My cardio consists of walking, walking, and more walking! Usually about 6- 10 miles. But when walking... I usually encourage her to drag me and pull hard so that she's working hard. The resistance from me letting her drag me is basically mimicking the same resistance as being on a carpet mill or dragging weight. For strength I do sprints with her for 30 mins then finish her off on a carpetmill doing about 5 reps of 2 or 3 mins on with 1 min rest between reps. After all that I'll walk her about a mile to cool down then usually she gets a rub down if I'm not to lazy!