1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Wound Treatment - Antibiotics

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by J M A N, May 18, 2004.

1. J M A N

J M A N Big Dog

Antibiotics, which ones, how often, etc, etc.

Well, first we need to talk a little about bacteria, there are two types of bacteria that cause the most problems in wounds and they are Gram Positive and Gram Negative bacteria, without getting to technical in this area I will make a long story short, with the type of wounds that these dogs encounter you need to use a broad spectrum antibiotic.
    This simply means that you need an antibiotic that kills both Gram Positive and Gram Negative bacteria. There are numerous products on the market that work very well and I will name the ones that I have had the best success with.
    Baytril 60mg would be my first choice followed by Keflex/Cephalexin 500mg, Amoxicillin 400mgs and last would be the injectable Penicillin type.
    I generally use a double dose for the first initially dose, example: Keflex 500mg two tablets for the first dose, (1000mg) then one tablet every 12 hours for 10 days. Choose one of these antibiotics for minor to severe wounds and keep to the schedule for 10 days; however, if you have an extreme infection, use the Combination described below. Note: if you are treating a dog who weighs less than 35lbs, cut the antibiotic dose in half. Also, if you notice extreme diarrhea cut back on your dose, diarrhea is a sign of antibiotic poisoning.

Combinations, if you ever encounter an abscess or mouth wound that seems out of control, a good combination as an example to use is Baytril 60mgs along with Keflex 500mgs given together at 8am, followed by Keflex 500mgs at 2pm, followed by Baytril 60mg and Keflex 500mgs at 8pm.
    Follow this program for the worst case infections along with the recommended cleaning and flushing of the various wounds, this is the best combination of antibiotics that you can use, but as I said ONLY use this type combination recommendation for the worst case scenario. Note: (if you are using Dexamethazone after the accident, try to limit it's use to three days, example: 3cc's first day, 2cc's second day and 1cc third day, if you use Dex for a long period of time it will slow down the healing process.)

Well, there you have it, a simple and effective basic routine that has been around for many years. The catch here is that it takes work on your part to be successful in good wound care. To often neglect of wounds ends up leading to unnecessary loss of tissue, or an abscess that is chronic in nature because the wound was never really dealt with correctly and lastly possible loss of life.
    If you take the time to deal with these wounds for 10 days it will pay off in many years of health in your animal, have you ever noticed that swellings/ abscesses occur when the wound seems to have been healed, but when you start working the dog for a show, his immune system becomes stressed and he develops an abscess where an old wound once was. If the wound was correctly managed the first time this would NOT have occurred. Now you have a dog in keep that you will need to administer some type of antibiotic when this could have all been avoided. This is just one example of poor wound care management coming back to haunt you at a later date. Good luck with the dogs and remember that wound care does not have to be complicated, just put in some effort and keep it simple.

Reprinted........

2. BigTex

BigTex Pup

i dont like that article for a couple reasons....1 is they are over medicating the dog....why would you use baytril right off the bat? makes no since baytril is for infections that have set in and you are trying to reverse..... 2 i have found that most of the time antibiotics arent even needed...clean the wounds and keep them clean...if you see a little infection trying to start.....then run a full course of cephalexin/keflex....and i said a FULL course...every time you just give them a little or miss a day in between medicating you are doing way more harm than good....if you start them on an antibiotic and skip a day or 2 or if you underdose them....you are making the bacteria resistant to the drugs....because you didnt kill them all off, those that are left are resistant to the drug!!! thats why penn. is starting to become useless and is useless on some dogs.... 3. in the article they state

"Note: (if you are using Dexamethazone after the accident, try to limit it's use to three days, example: 3cc's first day, 2cc's second day and 1cc third day, if you use Dex for a long period of time it will slow down the healing process.)"

thats not even close to the right dosage.....and it too like the penn i feel is way over used....lol read this "Dexamethasone is considered to be a long acting steroid, meaning that a dose lasts about two or two-and-a-half days. For this reason an “every other day” schedule will be excessive for dexamethasone; every third day (or less) is the goal for dexamethasone." http://www.marvistavet.com/html/dexamethasone.html

whoever wrote that needs to do a little more reading and educate themselves before they try to be an expert and give advice....lololol

3. J M A N

J M A N Big Dog

This was a reprint from somewhere else. Everyone has differing opinions.

4. Bravo

Bravo Pup

My first choice is Amox then ceph,I know Ceph is a better drug but im just talking about straight afterwards and it is easier to use amox as it is injectable.

Baytril and the like is if your first choice did not work,
    If you start out using Baytril the others will be useless.
    I agree the article is shite,If your dog is 40lb and in shock you can use up to 50cc if the strenght of dex is 2mg

Best Regards Bravo

5. BigTex

BigTex Pup

lol...true jman everybody has different opinions.....but what i posted was FACTS!!!

6. J.W

J.W Pup

i REALLY FEEL THAT GOOD CLEANING AND FLUSHING OF WOUND AND SOME CEPHALEXIN DOES THE TRICK

7. BigTex

BigTex Pup

thats what i usually do too

8. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

Everyone has opinions but few are based on facts. Antibiotics and their doses and what they will or will not treat are well documented based on case studies done over many years of research and tests and its not a subject you someones wrong opinion on.

9. zebobred

zebobred Pup

Baytril is for upper respiratory issues like pneumonia ect....?

10. Amen!!! Here's a good one. These idiots in chat a couple weeks ago were trying to get somebody to start their dog on antibiotics. The persons dog is having a false pregnancy and the bitches boobs are swelled up. They were telling them to put the dog on antibiotics in case the female got mastitis.

Giving antibiotics for no reason is DUMB DUMB DUMB. I proceeded to tell the person not to do it and all hell broke loose. These genius "dog men" think they are oh so knowledgeable, yet making complete retards of themselves. Their reasoning was "just in case". Like I said, you don't give them for no reason, and the chances of a bitch getting mastitis from a false pregnancy are slime to none. The NONE being all but 100%. The little kiddie group of 3 or 4 thought that since there were 4 of them and only 1 of me and they all spout off the misinformation that made them right lol. So I asked if they give their dogs dexamethasone "just in case"? I asked do you staple your dog in certain areas "just in case". They had nothing to say to that.

When giving antibiotics to your dog you should know wtf you're doing or go to somebody who does. Everybody that thinks "oh it won't hurt them if they don't need it"......uh yes it can. They build up resistance and when they DO need them they won't be as effective as they should be.

11. outrightmike

outrightmike CH Dog

Isn't that the truth boogie.Its just experimenting on dogs blind folded,stupid.