1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Wound Treatment - Mouth, Ears, & Pads

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by J M A N, May 18, 2004.

1. J M A N

J M A N Big Dog

Wound Treatment - Mouth, Ears, & Pads

Mouth wounds, these are by far the most troublesome wounds to deal with because quite often they are not discovered until a very severe infection in already involved. The mouth must always be checked after any accident has taken place. If you notice any wounds, they must be dealt with immediately.

The very real problem with mouth wounds is keeping these wounds clean. The best way that I have personally found to treat these wounds is to flush them with salt-water solutions (1 tablespoon of salt to 10cc of warm water three times per/day) and always flush after the dog has eaten. A very good way to keep the food out of the wounds is to use a blender and make his food into a wet pasty mixture, then make small golf ball size balls and feed them to the dog by hand, he will swallow them and this will keep the food from accumulating in these wounds.

Torn ears and punctures deep with in the ears can also become a problem. The best way to treat torn ears is to keep them dry, therefore after cleaning the wound take a DRY towel and apply pressure. It may take several minutes in order for the bleeding to stop and quit, actually you may need to allow the ear to coagulate a clot on it's own because the dogs have a tendency to shake there heads vigorously and this just starts the bleeding all over again. Don't become overly concerned, unless the tear is extremely bad, the ear will clot on it's own. Puncture wounds within the ear itself should be dealt with just as I described in the puncture wound paragraph.

Torn or lacerated pads, over the years I've found that applying sutures or staples to torn pads is useless, the best thing to do for them is to keep them clean by flushing the pad one time with Hydrogen Peroxide, and every cleaning after this will be done with Batedine. A good way to accomplish this will be to take a small bucket and place his whole foot into the cleaning solution. Let the injured foot soak for 5 minutes, then remove the paw and pack the torn pad in Nitrofurizone, wrap it in clean gauze, then take a clean sock and place the sock over the paw, pull the sock up as far as it will go then tape it to the leg.
    You should sit with the dog for 2 or more hours to allow the Nitrofurizone to soak into the wound, then remove the sock, dressing and wipe clean. Do this three-time per/day, NOTE: never leave the dog unattended with the dressing on his foot, many dogs with chew this dressing off and swallow it.

2. BigTex

BigTex Pup

Re: Wound Treatment - Mouth, Ears, & Pads

3 times a day for 2 hours each time?....lol...man what a waste....all thats not needed....take the dog in the house put him in a clean crate and clean the wound 2 times a day with betadine....trying to put any kind of topical on it is useless because they will either lick it off or dirt and anything else will just stick too it....ear wounds are usually pretty simple also....just keep them clean and make sure they arent getting infected......i agree a good salt water solution is good for mouth wounds......also on the puncture wounds in the ear....make sure they stay open so they can drain.....let them heal from the inside out....if they scab over and cant drain it makes infection alot more likely

3. Bravo

Bravo Pup

I find Super glue excellent for pads and split ears,Especially when the dog keeps shaking his head and messes with the healing process.

Sugar and water mix can also be used for the mouth and other cuts and it promotes skin growth because its ph balance is similar to skin

Bravo

4. Crash97

Crash97 Top Dog

Helpful info....

5. ASA

ASA Pup

hey guyz what about the new liquid skin or band ade,it will do the same,just coast more...

6. BFKENNEL

BFKENNEL Big Dog

Sir, did you mean its just super glue thats only thing that I need to use for the torn pads?Or do I also have to use Batadine and HydrogenPeroxide to clean the wounds?

Can you please elaborate.Thanks

7. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

You have to clean them out first otherwise they can get infected..

for mouth wonds, I put some hydrogen peroxied mixed with water on a Q tip and swab. But for some strange reason, their own saliva helps heal the wounds, too as long as they're not deep and you clean them out good first..

8. Texasbulldogs

Texasbulldogs Top Dog

I’ve had really good luck with a Betadine/Hydrogen Peroxide mixture (1 part Betadine to 3 parts Hydro). Scrub out the entire mouth with a gauze (cheeks, gums). Then mix the same 1 to 3, squirt it in any hole in the mouth with a syringe.

9. blackbeard

blackbeard Big Dog

oxygen peroxide for any wound. Listerine diluted with some water in a spray bottle for the mouth wounds, and 2 or 3 cc's of penicilline.

10. azdog

azdog Big Dog

Thanks for the info. fellers,as all your experiances differs alittle,but it is all very helpful.

11. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

You can also get a tetnus / antibotic shot that you administer right after your dog gets injured...lasts for 15 days I beleive. Try UPCO.com or Dr Fosters and Smith .. cheaper than going to the vet

12. budgee

budgee Pup

Hi
    How deep must the mouth wound (upper jaw, length - from canine to incisors, very deep that you can see inside above the teeth) for stitches to be considered
    I'm keeping clean using listerine, but see that some of the skin is becoming pale
    Thanks

13. pitbulld0gs

pitbulld0gs Top Dog Staff Member

I thought i read somewhere Peroxide wasn't good for follow up? Only to be used the first time for initial cleaning?

14. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

Peroxide works ! It will help prevent infection, or remove infection.

15. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

Excuse me , help prevent the spread of infection.

16. wicked13

wicked13 CH Dog

Hey what's to be done ? If a tooth is facing side ways like an incisor in the back of the mouth is there any ways of saving it or has anyone ever been able to save a tooth like that . As in just push it back in place and hope it sits back in the socket